15 Hours Until 7 Years War!

Started by Jarhead0331, October 29, 2015, 08:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

sandman2575

This is a one-man effort, isn't it?  Will be hugely impressive if he pulls it off -- seemingly fusing a Total War style gameplay with an Ageod style attention to historical detail. Hat's off to the guy for even attempting this -- and for devoting all that effort to a conflict that doesn't receive a whole lot of attention from gamers --

Bison

Quote from: Toonces on October 30, 2015, 06:32:50 AM
Quote from: Bison on October 29, 2015, 10:04:38 PM
^ Yup.  I'm to mentally exhausted and well too old like twitchy RTS anymore.

Dude you better read up on the description.  This game sounds like the antithesis of relaxing.

I'm not into non-relaxing games these days, so my interest is now gone.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Bison on October 30, 2015, 11:05:12 AM
Quote from: Toonces on October 30, 2015, 06:32:50 AM
Quote from: Bison on October 29, 2015, 10:04:38 PM
^ Yup.  I'm to mentally exhausted and well too old like twitchy RTS anymore.

Dude you better read up on the description.  This game sounds like the antithesis of relaxing.

I'm not into non-relaxing games these days, so my interest is now gone.

I'm not sure why Toonces suggests that its not relaxing? Its got strategic turn-based campaign play with real time tactical battles that seem to be modeled authentically...in 1756, nothing happened too terribly fast. I dunno. If you're interested in the period, this one seems like a no-brainer to me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Bison

I'm waiting for you to break out with some impressions.  What I don't want is starcraft style battles.  Starcraft is a great game, but I just cannot bring myself to play that style anymore these days.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Bison on October 30, 2015, 11:26:31 AM
I'm waiting for you to break out with some impressions.  What I don't want is starcraft style battles.  Starcraft is a great game, but I just cannot bring myself to play that style anymore these days.

No way in hell its going to be like starcraft. I think that is pretty clear from the videos that are out there. I don't even think its going to be as quick as Empire/Napoleon Total War.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Appears to be released....I'll guess I'll find out tonight unless bad reviews prior:)

Jarhead0331

Just had a VERY quick look around. It looks like an indie game, but impressive in scope and scale nevertheless. The graphics are pretty rough. Everything has a fuzzy, not high-res feel to it.  The map is totally functional, but pretty unattractive (oxymoron) and I have been unable to find any zoom levels.  The fuzzy look of the graphics makes some of the text in several of the menus difficult to read, even though I'm running in 1920 x 1080. The game DEFINITELY needs tutorials as it appears to be exceptionally deep. I do not see any tutorial scenarios, there are no tool tips and there is not even a manual that I can find, although I have not delved into the file structure yet.  This could turn out to be a huge problem for many, because if you're like me, you don't have the patience to figure everything out through trial and error.  There are no keyboard shortcuts that I can find, so it appears everything must be handled with the mouse.

In snooping around the menus and features, I can positively state that the officer lists and OOB tables got me really hot and bothered. it is all very historical and very detailed. The muscial score is very pleasing, as well. I feel like I'm playing in Francis Ford Cupola's Stanley Kubrick's Barry Lyndon. By the way, both battles AND strategic campaign play are REAL TIME. However, it is totally pausible and orders can be issued while paused.

I had trouble getting the game to run, but I solved the issue which had to do with multiple monitor set-up. The game doesn't like it.

Anyway, I do look forward to diving into it a little deeper as soon as I have the chance.   
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

It looks well paced to me - the kind of game I can drink beer while playin and not have to worry about screwing up too badly.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

sandman2575

Cool first impressions.   8)

How is the strategic campaign in real time? That I don't get...?  Or are we talking WitP:AE time investment to actually complete the campaign?

(also, Barry Lyndon is Kubrick  ;)  great movie, regardless...)

IronX

Sounds like it's Total War for grogs. Too bad about the graphics, although hopefully it won't detract from the deeper gameplay. Also liking the Barry Lyndon reference.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: sandman2575 on October 30, 2015, 12:48:04 PM
Cool first impressions.   8)

How is the strategic campaign in real time? That I don't get...?  Or are we talking WitP:AE time investment to actually complete the campaign?

(also, Barry Lyndon is Kubrick  ;)  great movie, regardless...)

Thats right...Kubrick. Always get those two mixed up!

Its real time in that ships and armies are moving in real time on the strategic campaign map. Supplies are flowing in real time and resources and money are being spent and earned in real time. Structures are being built in real time. Everything that you can do is happening in real time, except that it can be totally paused. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

I found a bunch of very quick tutorial type videos on youtube. They give very broad overviews of all of the distinct areas of the game. However, at under 3 minutes in length, they really just give general information on several of the features that are at play. It is a very deep game, and these videos show that.

By the way, there are tool tips in game.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

sandman2575

Glad to hear there are tooltips -- a necessity in a complex game like this.

Reports about the fuzziness / lack of clarity in the UI worries me. I found EUIV nigh unplayable before someone came out with a larger font / UI improvement mod. (I'm someone who went back to 1080p monitor after a couple of attempts with 1440p -- everything is just too damn small at 1440, even with 125% dpi. I'm due for a stronger lens prescription, I know...)

Anyway, I'm sure I'll give this a go later tonight -- Steam's refund policy makes it zero risk, after all.  For all the rough spots it looks like it has tremendous potential.  Amazing as the TW games are, I always find the lack of depth at the strategic/campaign level disappointing. I really like what the dev. is trying to accomplish here and want to support his effort.

mikeck

Some gameplay videos. Not tutorials but show with the game looks like I suppose

http://thesevenyearswar.com/media.htm

I will be honest, I'm a little concerned about the price. The price I think he tells me that there is not a whole lot to this game. I am a big believer in the concept of "you get what you pay for quote. If I'm only paying $20 then I should only get a $20 game which isn't much
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson