Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa

Started by Philippe, November 17, 2015, 11:23:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacticalWargames

Also the unit count isn't that high. So it never becomes a chore.

Though I would like to see this feature in at some point.

Quote from: Barthheart on November 17, 2015, 02:11:05 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on November 17, 2015, 01:22:58 PM
I'm not sure I understand Philippi's initial posting.....can movement of counters be delegated to subordinate commanders, i.e. the AI?

No, you must move all the counters.

sandman2575

Quote from: Barthheart on November 17, 2015, 02:13:42 PM
I talked about it a on the MFP, the air war is handled by decisions and card play. Basically it lets you assign air power to certain areas and it acts as a combat modifier.
It works well because in this phase of the war the Luftwaffe basically had total air control and only really had to fight the weather.

Abstracting the air war in this way sounds like a very smart improvement. Good news!

Ah yes, the Grogheads main-page... Will read your piece now   O0

Barthheart

Sir Slash

Strategic wargame with a role-playing element. I think I've found a new drug. Will we able to hand revolvers out to our generals and tell them to "cut the Red-Tape"?  ^-^
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

sandman2575

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 17, 2015, 04:00:42 PM
Strategic wargame with a role-playing element.

It's certain a novel approach -- and sounds like Vic pulled off something special here.

I may catch some flack for this, but on the subject of the 'role-playing element' -- I have to say I'm not thrilled by the game's cover-art, featuring Halder, von Bock etc. and frankly appearing to glorify "OKH" somewhat. My initial gut reaction when seeing it was, "what's with the gigantic Nazi heads??" 

The cover would've been much better (in my opinion) if it had featured Halder facing off against Zhukov. But the art design clearly promotes the idea that "it's best to play this game as Germany!" I think the not very subtle pro-German slant is unfortunate and doesn't really make sense, since you can play as either side.

Now please don't misunderstand me. Barbarossa pitted one ruthless totalitarian regime against another ruthless totalitarian regime. What I'm *not* saying is, "pictures of nazis offend me but put in a picture of a good soviet general and all would be well."  But if the cover art had featured both German and Russian generals, at least that would've given the game "sales pitch," so to speak, a feeling of neutrality. I just feel the art somewhat uncomfortably promotes the 'role playing fantasy' of "Be a nazi general! take directives from the Fuhrer himself!" when it doesn't need to do that quite so enthusiastically.

Just in closing -- *not* saying I'm "offended" by the art. Just saying I think it gives an unnecessarily distorted view of what the game is about.

Rayfer

Quote from: Barthheart on November 17, 2015, 02:11:05 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on November 17, 2015, 01:22:58 PM
I'm not sure I understand Philippi's initial posting.....can movement of counters be delegated to subordinate commanders, i.e. the AI?

No, you must move all the counters.

Thanks....I thought so but wanted to make sure.

TacticalWargames

As I said I love the Beta (those who don't know, this scale is no where near my favourite. Infact I can think of only one other game I enjoy at this scale and higher. So I'm uber fussy). It will be one of my all time favourite digital wargames. The only thing I can think of that I'd liked to have seen is it to have been WEGO rather than turn based. But that's it.

TacticalWargames

From the product page

"Be prepared to shoot your Marshals. Fling your troubleshooters from one crisis to the next. Hope that they don't get delayed enroute. Ruthlessly feed your Conscript armies into the meat grinder, trading time and space, desperately holding on for Rasputitsa and the depths of winter. Prioritise one Front over others. Gather your Siberians and push back hard."

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 17, 2015, 04:00:42 PM
Strategic wargame with a role-playing element. I think I've found a new drug. Will we able to hand revolvers out to our generals and tell them to "cut the Red-Tape"?  ^-^

besilarius

The thought of being able to send out NKVD hit squads in a sizable campaign like Barbarossa is a tad hard to grasp.
If leaders can develop and grow skills, you might be killing a potential Zhukov because of some youthful failures.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

TacticalWargames

The length of the game stops this from being an issue.

Also it's a risk you may have to take.. haven't played the Russians but I bet Stalin demands that you do somebody in at some point!

Quote from: besilarius on November 17, 2015, 06:21:44 PM
The thought of being able to send out NKVD hit squads in a sizable campaign like Barbarossa is a tad hard to grasp.
If leaders can develop and grow skills, you might be killing a potential Zhukov because of some youthful failures.

Barthheart

Playing the Russian side you are Stalin. And yes you could very well be ordering the NKVD to kill a great general.... if he's not performing fast enough.

Sir Slash

I see the Finns are included. Do you get actual control of their forces and other allies or is it abstracted in some way?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Barthheart

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 17, 2015, 07:29:44 PM
I see the Finns are included. Do you get actual control of their forces and other allies or is it abstracted in some way?

You get control of the Finns, and Rumanian and Hungarian forces are in your AGS. The Finns are restricted to stay within a certain area... unless you get the decision that will let you free them... high cost in political capitol though...

Vic

Hi all,

Thanks for the compliments (of some of you there)!
But I really need to point out this game really has been a team effort together with Cameron Harris. (who some of you might know as plugger from the ATG resource mod)

Also... you might be interested to know it is my aim to make the Decisive Campaigns : Community Project (BETA) available 1-2 weeks after release day of Barbarossa. This one has sort of gone under the radar, but it will be a free extra for DC:Barbarossa owners. And it has basically my supreme attempt to finally enable normal humans to make scenarios with DC.  I already posted some screenies some time ago: http://www.vrdesigns.nl/?p=916 and will provide some more updates really soon.

Best wishes,
Vic

Barthheart

Great news Vic! And welcome to GrogHeads!

O0