Rake, y'all: quite possibly the best cheapa$$ single/multi game in existence

Started by JasonPratt, December 13, 2015, 02:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Discovered this game by accident on Steam.

Could have been a completely stupid Unityasset ripoff.

Instead, with continuing updates, it has become... well... the multiplayer game (especially if you get the right kind of group) is essentially like those Redneck Bigfoot reality shows, if the creature (not Bigfoot in this case although there are curious cameos) turned out to be real and was lethally harassing and generally trolling the rednecks. Note that there is a goal to kill the thing. Which is possible. Just not easy, or not always.

Some clips from a multiplayer night. (There are nights and days in the game.)

When it's singleplayer, it's still a joy (for various values of the word 'joy'), but the tone gets quite different. This is the start of an epic Youtube LP. (Also with a multiplayer series later.)

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Note that one of the brilliant things about the game (that some of the negatives on Steam don't seem to understand) is that the game starts off fairly low key -- some things could happen at night, but not necessarily -- and then ramps up on subsequent nights, sometimes with surprises during the day, when exploring the map is encouraged.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Nefaro

Dunno why but the {Youtube} tags are prompting me to download a Shockwave Flash file for each linked vid on this forum, all of a sudden.  On Firefox.

Was there a shockwave update or something?

JasonPratt

Maybe. I'm using Firefox, too, and suddenly I couldn't play videos at all for several weeks -- then suddenly I can again.

Worth noting, on some other of my systems I still can't play videos but it asks if I want to download something from Shockwave.

Maybe also worth noting: once upon a time, using the "s" at the end of http on these youtube addresses would completely prevent the window being visible -- the link would be there, not the video window -- so I'd repost people's videos without the "s". Now, the "s" works for me.

Let me try reposting the videos without the "s", and see what happens.

This is the first single-player video, which was one of the first videos of the game on YT. He plays it for 20 eps before multiplayer is released, and the devs upgrade the game over time.

This is the rather later game with some multiplayer (by a different set of guys mostly goofing around).

JasonPratt

I almost recommend not watching videos, though, because they naturally tend to spoil the 'progression' scares of the game.

Dang well dropped $5 on it though. So, mission accomplished.  O0

Nefaro

Was just a Flash Player update I needed.  No biggie.

It was only screwing up with the embedded vids here since yesterday.  Update fixed it.  O0

I tend to turn automatic updates off with most programs and my OS.  Something will indicate when it's time to update, but it's not usually the embedded stuff.

JasonPratt

Turns out my headphone/mic works fine with Shadowplay; recorded my first ever game, role-playing as myself sent out to the mountainous backwoods of West TN ;) by my uncle to set up some game cams and record some footage at night so he can come back later for deer season.

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 13, 2015, 05:54:13 PM
Turns out my headphone/mic works fine with Shadowplay; recorded my first ever game, role-playing as myself sent out to the mountainous backwoods of West TN ;) by my uncle to set up some game cams and record some footage at night so he can come back later for deer season.

My ShadowPlay worked fairly well until one of the recent Nvidia Experience updates.  Tried recording last week and the damn thing absolutely refused to do so.

JasonPratt

Odd. Its recordings don't work well, sometimes (depending on patches), with Sony Studio 10 (which I use) -- which wasn't a problem until some weeks ago, and then a weekish ago, apparently after a patch, I was able to use it again. Meanwhile I used a third program to re-encode the mp4 files generated by Shadowplay, and once that was done (which took a 1:1: time unfortunately) everything worked fine. Glad not to need that step again, but I know what to do if NVidia breaks it again.

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, I prayed so hard a minute ago my teeth still hurt. Which, I must say, is a new experience so far as I can recall.

And it isn't night-time yet.

See, this is why I am never ever probably ever going to move any farther forward in my Alien: Isolation game. I'm too old for heart attacks. Wait, is that World War One Gold calling me to work on an AAR again? Yes, dear.  O:-)