Main Menu

Men of War 2

Started by acctingman, April 12, 2016, 02:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

I'm looking for a ww2 game where I can throw down some units and duke it out.

Combat Mission 2 series is NOT what I'm looking for (not for now....I'll tackle that beast later on)

I was looking at MoW AS2 and it looks like (with the addition of mods) it has most nations involved in ww2 and most of the units.

I like eye candy so older games aren't really for me. I know Steel Panthers is perfect for this, but I can't get over how "ugly" it looks.

Are there any other games I should be looking at instead of MoW AS2?

Thanks

Father Ted

Well, there's Company of Heroes, but I always get that confused with MoW, so perhaps there's no point in choosing one over the other.  Something slightly more realistic (I think) is the Theatre of War series.

Jarhead0331

MoW AS 1 and 2 are fantastic. Very fun games. Although they are definitely RTS games at heart, they do implement some more authentic concepts, such as armor facing, ballistics, penetration, supply, LOS, cover and concealment and destruction of both.

Company of Heroes is decent, but its more of a traditional RTS with not so much as an afterthought toward authenticity.

The Theater of War games were promising, but ultimately failed to deliver a satisfying or rewarding experience.

I would definitely give the Assault Squad games a look. AS 2 is presently $7.49 on Steam. At that price, its a no-brainer.     
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

acctingman

I watched a video this morning on how to make your own battles via the editor....it looks complicated  :uglystupid2:

Jarhead0331

Quote from: acctingman on April 12, 2016, 03:33:07 PM
I watched a video this morning on how to make your own battles via the editor....it looks complicated  :uglystupid2:

So don't use the editor. Its totally unnecessary. The AS scenarios are pretty much all giant skirmish maps. They never get old.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

sandman2575

I don't think you can go wrong with MoW2 -- it's an excellent and surprisingly detailed/deep game.

Still, if you have never played Company of Heroes -- man, you really should. Not CoH2 mind you -- I found the sequel quite disappointing. But the original CoH with the Opposing Fronts DLC is truly one of the most fun games -- not just WW2 games, but games period -- that I have ever played. The random/quick battles are a blast, and the campaigns are loads of fun too.  JH is right that CoH doesn't place a premium on realism -- but I liken it to a Hollywood-ized version of WW2. It's like the Saving Private Ryan of WW2 games. Not very believable, but incredibly exciting action. (The attention to detail is sufficient in my view -- you'll get authentic units for the most part, even if they don't quite behave as they would in real life...)

acctingman

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 12, 2016, 03:47:55 PM
Quote from: acctingman on April 12, 2016, 03:33:07 PM

So don't use the editor. Its totally unnecessary. The AS scenarios are pretty much all giant skirmish maps. They never get old.

Do the AS scenarios cover all theaters of war? Japan vs US? US vs Germany in North Africa?

I'd like the ability to play out any scenario I can

AchillesLastStand

Yep MOW AS2 at 7 bucks is a steal. If you are interested in the game be sure to get and dl the ROBZ realism mod{which has a 5 star rating btw}. It adds way more units , more maps, realistic sounds/explosions and makes the ranges more realistic.

Trooperc7

I highly recommend MOW2 over COH......Much deeper game in all aspects.

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 12, 2016, 03:23:23 PM
MoW AS 1 and 2 are fantastic. Very fun games. Although they are definitely RTS games at heart, they do implement some more authentic concepts, such as armor facing, ballistics, penetration, supply, LOS, cover and concealment and destruction of both.

Detailed damage models....and the best part: direct control of units.

jomni

Men of War has a staggering amount of mods. Every conflict you can imagine.

TacticalWargames

Graviteam Tactics Muis front...easy decision.

acctingman

Quote from: TacticalWargames on April 12, 2016, 08:47:21 PM
Graviteam Tactics Muis front...easy decision.

Thanks for the suggestion but this game only covers a small time frame of Eastern war between Germany and Russia.

Raied

I think the best RTS WW2 game for a lot of boom boom and eye candy is MoW AS2, much better than CoH2 in term of realism, control and amount of maps/ missions/ units.

RyanE

My main issue with the MoW franchise is how unrealistically the ranges are calculated.  I go and look at it now and then, but always come to the conclusion that limiting all ranges to about 10% of their real ranges is just too unrealistic.  I wouldn't mind so much if they just limited the map size, but they actually scale all ranges down so that tanks are limited to 100-200 yards.