Civ V - Gods and Kings Pre-Order

Started by TheCommandTent, May 31, 2012, 07:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Gusington on June 05, 2012, 07:17:25 PM
^But no matter what the game will always finish in the Space Age?

I remember at least one prior version of Civ, maybe Civ II, where the ending era could be chosen too.

:(

I went into the game and checked for you.  Sorry to say there is only an option to set the starting era not for an ending era.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Gusington

^I got the Steam notification that you started it and thought 'damn now Tent is mocking me.'

See now this is the one thing that turns me off about the game...I am not interested in the modern era or going to space.

I also don't like knights charging tanks if you know what I mean. BUT, the upcoming Gods and Kings has so much other goodness that I will get the base game just to play it.

In the meantime, if I got the original Civ V tonight, I would like to play as the British Empire with historically accurate 'subject peoples?' I want to play from say 1815-1914. If I can't set up a standard game to do that, is there enough DLC and bonus content with all the maps and such where I can close to that British Empire scenario?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Gus CIV V is not a historic simulation.  You need to break down and learn how to play Victoria 2, which is slightly more historic at least in regard to the timeline.

Gusington

^Now you're throwing a wrench into the whole works. See I have to get Civ V at some point in order to play the upcoming Steampunk scenario. So I want to gauge how much fun I will have with the base game in the meantime.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

TheCommandTent

I never play any scenarios in Civ so I couldn't say.  I don't know of any mods for the British Empire but then again I've never looked.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Gusington

I'm checking now...all this just for the steampunk...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Bison

The scenarios are like hey your the leader of Hawaii now here is a bunch of islands to colonize!  Still not historical, but they are fun.

Gusington

OK so I have Civ V regular edition, the Korea and Ancient World DLC and God & Kings queued up to buy, for a total of 64.00.

I also downloaded and installed an Indian Mutiny (1857) mod for Empire TW (free).

I will sleep on it. I have played so much TW over the years that I am a little burned out. Then again I got Civ IV last year and wasn't so hot on the mod I tried for it.

So it is down to which game, Civ or TW, will make me feel more "British." It's either that or I abandon this venture altogether and try out one of the new faction packs I just got for Fall of the Samurai :)

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Wait Gus.  It'll be on sale right be for the expansion pack is released. 

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Gusington on June 05, 2012, 08:57:37 PM
OK so I have Civ V regular edition, the Korea and Ancient World DLC and God & Kings queued up to buy, for a total of 64.00.

I also downloaded and installed an Indian Mutiny (1857) mod for Empire TW (free).

I will sleep on it. I have played so much TW over the years that I am a little burned out. Then again I got Civ IV last year and wasn't so hot on the mod I tried for it.

So it is down to which game, Civ or TW, will make me feel more "British." It's either that or I abandon this venture altogether and try out one of the new faction packs I just got for Fall of the Samurai :)

We knew you would break :)

Gusington

^Didn't buy it yet Smart Guy. It's in my cart. I spent last night shopping around, for games and mods. I am sure it will go on sale like Bison says.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

steve58

Looking forward to it tomorrow.  I suspect/predict my productivity at work will suffer more than a bit.  Working from home hath its privileges and more than a few distractions....
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

tgb

It's getting pretty mixed reviews.  I suspect that if I pick it up at all it will be during a Steam sale.

Barthheart

Bah! The reviews I've read, if the person didn't like the game before, they didn't like it with the expansion either. If they did like it before, they liked what the expansion brought to the game.

I enjoyed the vanilla game so it can only get better.  8)