"Efficient" wargames, wargame UIs

Started by Redwolf, May 11, 2016, 05:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redwolf

Are there any wargames that you consider "efficient", where efficient means how they use the player's time?

What I am aiming at is how much time do you spend actually planning, and then how much time does it take to tell the UI about the plan? How much time do you need to spend noodling around in the UI to gather the information that you need to plan the next move in the first place?

I could break it down a bit more if you want.

The games that I have seen that are efficient in this sense are:

• TacOps (clear leader)
  • CMx1 (not quite as good with some weaknesses, but very efficient terrain and LOS discovery and quick straight-line commands)
One thing I suffer from in the efficiency department is iconities, using too many randomly picked icons in the UI. I have enough screen space to put text. There is no way that I can keep a large number of icons in my head for several games.

Clunky step-by-step LOS determination, and one-by-one unit status inquiry also hurt badly?

Any input?

jomni

ArizonaTank

Combat Mission x1 series.  Somehow CMx2 managed to make the UI less efficient.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Rayfer

Quote from: jomni on May 11, 2016, 07:01:13 AM
Ultimate General. Just draw lines.

Agreed. It doesn't get any more efficient than that.  On the opposite end of the spectrum in War in the Pacific: AE.

MengJiao

Quote from: Redwolf on May 11, 2016, 05:19:07 AM
Are there any wargames that you consider "efficient", where efficient means how they use the player's time?

What I am aiming at is how much time do you spend actually planning, and then how much time does it take to tell the UI about the plan? How much time do you need to spend noodling around in the UI to gather the information that you need to plan the next move in the first place?

I could break it down a bit more if you want.

The games that I have seen that are efficient in this sense are:

• TacOps (clear leader)
  • CMx1 (not quite as good with some weaknesses, but very efficient terrain and LOS discovery and quick straight-line commands)
One thing I suffer from in the efficiency department is iconities, using too many randomly picked icons in the UI. I have enough screen space to put text. There is no way that I can keep a large number of icons in my head for several games.

Clunky step-by-step LOS determination, and one-by-one unit status inquiry also hurt badly?

Any input?

total war seems to go okay for me-- but I've played it for years and years.  I do recall during my 2 weeks of online war in Rome II using a heavy cavalry DLC that nobody else bothered to buy, that simplifying an army into heavy archers (which could also attack) and super-heavy horsemen (who could be brought in against anything) made it a lot easier than having an army with skirmishing infantry and artillery and pikemen and horsemen etc..
There was one battle where the heavy archers killed about half the opposing force of light skirmishers in the first couple of minutes leading to that player quiting and everything on that side collapsing in record time.  Though, I usually found it was a lot easier to fight players than the Ai that replaced them in an online game.

James Sterrett

Twilight Struggle impressed me as brilliant work in crunching a sprawling boardgame into a single screen without losing any vital information.

Hofstadter

I enjoy war in the wests style. Movement and combat value on your counter. Hover over an enemy counter to see their combat value. Rough "how much combat power do i need here" mental calculation. Simple stuff for the beginning scenarios.
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Boggit

AGEOD games are very "efficient". A huge amount of variables are taken into account within the game engine. All you really have to do is consider you supply lines and where you want to take your forces. The game engine does the rest for you.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

FarAway Sooner

It's a 4X game and not a wargame, but I really like the interface for Endless Legend.  Nothing is more than 2 or 3 clicks to accomplish and you can get to where you want to go very easily and intuitively.  They also have abundant and detailed tooltips.

Nefaro

I LOL'd when I saw the terms "Wargame UIs" and "Efficient" in the same topic title.  ;D

Probably one of the worst genres for user-friendly UIs.  There have been recent improvements in some newer ones, but I don't think they'll ever be near the tip of the spear on that.

Redwolf

Quote from: Nefaro on May 12, 2016, 05:36:49 PM
I LOL'd when I saw the terms "Wargame UIs" and "Efficient" in the same topic title.  ;D

Probably one of the worst genres for user-friendly UIs.  There have been recent improvements in some newer ones, but I don't think they'll ever be near the tip of the spear on that.

Yeah. This.

I think this has a lot to do with how wargames have effectively declined in the last 12 or so years. Not only have there be no improvements in UIs as executed by wargame developers, the games got more complex and more featureful. Put that into the same clunky UI technology and it is a major turnoff.

To be fair, I really dislike some mainstream game UI changes, too. The console-like interfaces put on many games that also have a console version drive me nuts.

Capn Darwin

One of the main reasons we kept our interface very windows application-like was the general understanding of menus, right click popup menus and alike. I've seen too many super fancy icon centric or minimalistic GUIs where you have no idea what you are doing without reading a 50+ page guide to understand the correct gesture and head tilt to invoke some function. Wargames (not RTS war-like game) need to display or provide access to a ton of information in order to keep the player up to speed on what a staff would normally handle. The next great battle as a developer are the folks that go the UI sucks and then fail to state what or how to make is suck less. Layer onto that fine mess the now vast range of monitor types and sizes and numbers that having a nice interface at one end totally collapse at the other end of those spectrums. Plus let's add the boot to the taint of the OS. Transitions from Win7 to now Win10 have come pre-packaged with a train wreck of display problems based on how Microsoft decided to short cut resolutions and supported codices. I'm all for some magic formula that get's us to the perfect UI/UX. Our team has been very open to suggestions and ideas to improve the flow of information in our game engine and many of those ideas will find their way into our next game/engine system. So fire away with this ideas. We are listening.  O0
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

RyanE

If wargame developers could just stick to Windows conventions for Windows games.  How long did it take BFC to just put scroll whell support in their games?

Strela

Quote from: Capn Darwin on May 12, 2016, 08:36:15 PM
One of the main reasons we kept our interface very windows application-like was the general understanding of menus, right click popup menus and alike. I've seen too many super fancy icon centric or minimalistic GUIs where you have no idea what you are doing without reading a 50+ page guide to understand the correct gesture and head tilt to invoke some function. Wargames (not RTS war-like game) need to display or provide access to a ton of information in order to keep the player up to speed on what a staff would normally handle. The next great battle as a developer are the folks that go the UI sucks and then fail to state what or how to make is suck less. Layer onto that fine mess the now vast range of monitor types and sizes and numbers that having a nice interface at one end totally collapse at the other end of those spectrums. Plus let's add the boot to the taint of the OS. Transitions from Win7 to now Win10 have come pre-packaged with a train wreck of display problems based on how Microsoft decided to short cut resolutions and supported codices. I'm all for some magic formula that get's us to the perfect UI/UX. Our team has been very open to suggestions and ideas to improve the flow of information in our game engine and many of those ideas will find their way into our next game/engine system. So fire away with this ideas. We are listening.  O0

Working with John Tiller, we constantly hear that our UI is 'too Windows' etc but like Capn Darwin and team we're finding the need to keep the games both accessible for old and new hands as well as compatible with the changes coming with each version of Windows etc creates a brake on what can be achieved.

We're about to embark on a big UI review and have lots of ideas but the points the good Capn makes are things that developers worry about and the average consumer never sees.

People forget that Wargames are usually more complex that the average WASD game and presenting that information in an appropriate way while maintaining focus on game play is a balancing act.

David

Nefaro

Quote from: Redwolf on May 12, 2016, 07:42:36 PM

To be fair, I really dislike some mainstream game UI changes, too. The console-like interfaces put on many games that also have a console version drive me nuts.

Agreed.  But that's just lazy console-to-PC ports.  Doesn't excuse the bad interface, but it was originally made for another platform.  Being PC-only and still having bad UI.. is just bad.  :D

I realize that for most developers, doing a lot of UI work seems more like a chore that pulls them away from the programming they really want to do.  Unfortunately, bad UIs also detract from the user's experience, so they ignore at their own peril.