Main Menu

Dreadnought

Started by jomni, May 14, 2016, 02:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

I just saw this.  Looks like Word of Warships in the future.  Very tactical.

https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/splash/

Hofstadter

I hope it comes with a simulator type of mode, where subsystems break and damage. Need me the capital ship sim.
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Anguille

sounds cool. I will keep an eye on it.

Jarhead0331

I've been watching this. But why massively multiplayer, damn it! Enough of this crap already.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 14, 2016, 05:22:51 AM
I've been watching this. But why massively multiplayer, damn it! Enough of this crap already.

+1

mirth

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 14, 2016, 05:25:22 AM

+1

+2
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

jomni

Quote from: mirth on May 14, 2016, 05:34:51 AM

+1

+2

Developers find it easer to make than single player games with AI opponents or levels.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: jomni on May 14, 2016, 06:53:58 AM

+1

+2

Developers find it easer to make than single player games with AI opponents or levels.

That's not why. Single player only games were made for decades and no developer complained it was too hard. The reality is that massively multiplayer games appeal to the newer generation of gamers who are obsessed with social media and virtual interaction. Moreover, these games permit micro transactions and endless dlc, so rather than one shot sale transactions, these games provide a steady stream of income over time.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

+3. I would buy this if it had a SP campaign. Instead I am going to ignore it because I am an old coot who hates people.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

IronX

Kind of like World of SpaceshipsTM.

I'd also like to see a first-person gunnery option included.

But no SP mode is disappoint.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 14, 2016, 08:19:16 AM
Quote from: jomni on May 14, 2016, 06:53:58 AM

+1

+2

That's not why. Single player only games were made for decades and no developer complained it was too hard. The reality is that massively multiplayer games appeal to the newer generation of gamers who are obsessed with social media and virtual interaction. Moreover, these games permit micro transactions and endless dlc, so rather than one shot sale transactions, these games provide a steady stream of income over time.
Don't forget the obsession of having their stats online for the universe to see and compare - some kind of "virtual" street bragging right or something  :idiot2:
Alba gu' brath

bobarossa

Personally, I like shooting real people!  Crap, did I say that out loud?

Dread Rlyeh

I find the single player campaigns/skirmish mode in these types of games quickly loses my interest.  I would rather pay $13/month (or whatever it is) and play for a few months vs dropping the game after two weeks.  Often, I keep coming back to the mmos as well.  I'm done with WOT forever, but I expect I will return to War Thunder soon for some Brit Tanks.

I've probably spent $200 on War Thunder over the years, but I've gotten a ton of value for that, much more entertainment and fun vs the last three AAA titles I've purchased, or the last ten indy games for that matter.  Plus, unless I am grinding, I don't need premium time.   I can come back and play just paying the credit maintenance.   I play crazy weird groggy games like Aurora 4x too, so it's not like I'm some twitch/action only gamer.

I like the challenge of pvp combat and I don't really feel the need to interact much with other players other than starting them on fire  ;)  I'm almost 40, no facebook, no twitter.  I say huzzah  O0 to Dreadnought and will probably check out the closed beta - the buyin is 10 bucks, pretty reasonable.

Gusington

Far be it from me to argue with a Lovecraftian nether-god.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Dread Rlyeh

Quote from: Gusington on May 14, 2016, 05:22:56 PM
Far be it from me to argue with a Lovecraftian nether-god.
;D 

I think the best of both worlds would be something like having pvp multi, a somewhat decent single player campaign (not a huge time investment for the devs), but lots of mod tools so player created campaigns could flourish.

Not exactly apples to oranges here, but look at Dota2 and the steam workshop.  There is a ton of player created content in the form of items.  Think of the man hours it would take to model all that, and it's basically a freebie for valve and they get quite a taste from the sales of user created content.