Any good ww2 aerial sims NOT named IL-2?

Started by acctingman, July 07, 2016, 10:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

So, I tried to play IL-2:1946 and I just can't get it to work, for me at least. I'm not the patient type.

Can anyone recommend another flight sim that is more arcade-ish? (PC or otherwise)

I've got a PS3 and I'm looking at Birds of Steel and from what I've seen it's a little flight sim-ish, but less of a learning curve than IL-2 (which I hope to graduate too, someday)  :crazy2:

Danke

Jarhead0331

Check out:

Flying Tigers: Shadows over China
The Air Conflicts series
The Battlestations series
Combat Wings
Blazing Angels
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Father Ted

Although prefixed by IL2, Birds of PreyI believe fits your criteria.  And there's always Warthunder.

Gusington

I second Flying Tigers. Slick and set in a rarely covered theater. I just bought it during the Steam summer sale.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero

Battle of Britain II - Wings of Victory (not arcade but about the same level as IL 1946)

http://www.a2asimulations.com/bob/
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/353/details/Battle.of.Britain.II.-.Wings.of.Victory  (only US)

Comparisons  (http://www.simhq.com/_air14/air_505a.html)

When the BOBII patch 2.12 comes out, the natural question will be, "which will be the better Battle of Britain simulation — BOBII version 2.12, or IL-2: Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover version 1.05?". As a beta tester for the BDG and BOBII, and also someone very active in creating and distributing missions for IL-2: Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover, I can offer a perspective.

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover v1.05 wins on:

Graphics such as the aircraft externals, shadows, landscapes (hills, trees, roads, grass) and cockpits
    Damage modeling, which is the most detailed I have seen in any sim, and which adds enormous immersion to combat flying
    Full mission editor enabling almost total control of the game environment for mission designers and casual players
    Ability to model aspects of both ground (vehicles, trains) and air warfare
    Larger number of available aircraft types both flyable and non-flyable
    Inclusion of large area of France in the BoB map
    Online playability; which even though still a bit hit and miss in Cliffs of Dover, is completely absent in BOBII

Battle of Britain II: Wings of Victory v2.12 wins on:

Unparalleled single player AI, so "real" you can be forgiven for thinking you are fighting against a human opponent, both in the campaign game, and also in first person perspective dogfighting against the PC AI
    Highly detailed offline dynamic strategic campaign game, plus closely researched historical single missions
    Fidelity of flight models and aircraft sounds
    Obsessive historical accuracy, with respect to locations of units, airfield layouts and facilities, factories and ports, coastlines, AAA emplacements
    Multiskin automated aircraft skinning
    Size of map, which includes all of 10, 11 and 12 Groups' areas of operation vs Cliffs of Dover's 11 Group map
    Clouds and weather; these are not only better implemented, they are historically correct for each part of England, on the particular day of the campaign. In Cliffs of Dover, weather and clouds are still not properly implemented
    Playability on lower end systems, especially the ability to put literally hundreds of aircraft in the air at the same time at high FPS

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Father Ted

As a flight-simmer I really appreciate that breakdown Pete,  but I guess both titles would be too "sim-heavy" for the OP's needs

Wolfe1759

Arcady WW2 "flight sim" my recommendation would be Eagles of WW2 by Slitherine.

I've tried and tried with "proper" flight sims, when I eventually manage to take off my next experience is usually being killed by the ground.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

WallysWorld

Dogfight 1942 is also a pretty good arcade-y type of aerial sim. I played it for quite a while and got the DLC for it.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Staggerwing

What about those Third Wire sims? IIRC, there are prop-driven warbirds available.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Silent Disapproval Robot

Go for War Thunder.  Free to play, tonnes of planes on offer, and offering up three distinct realism settings (arcade, realistic, simulation).  Even simulation is fairly light and accessible. 

Pete Dero

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Pete Dero

The arcade game Dogfight 1942 (http://store.steampowered.com/app/217790/) is included in this bundle  : https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/war-heroes-bundle  ($2.99 for the bundle)

Also included : Men of War Assault Squad I - IL-1946 - Warfare - Joint Task Force - Blitzkrieg 2 Anthology ...

Phantom

Quote from: steve58 on July 08, 2016, 09:10:55 AM
There is also B-17 FLYING FORTRESS: THE MIGHTY 8TH, and its on sale for $1.49 over at GOG.com...

Agreed - this is a very different sim, combining flight sim with team management, with a large dose of navigation & bombing technique thrown in. A challenging game but great fun when you hit the target AND get home safely. The PC version of the board game of the same/similar name I think. Absolutely worth $1.49 of anyone's money.