Your Holiday Sales Damage Thread

Started by airboy, November 25, 2016, 04:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamus34

No offense (and I know it's not for everyone) but you can build a rig with more for about $300 less. Especially if you cannibalize parts off of your current rig.

Insert witty comment here.

Skoop

Quote from: Barthheart on November 26, 2016, 12:34:40 PM
Quote from: bbmike on November 25, 2016, 04:54:52 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on November 25, 2016, 04:52:06 PM
$250 for a 43" 4K TV to act as my monitor, picked up today.
$1600 for a new PC that shows up Wed.... first new PC in 7 years.

Oh... you meant games.... none yet...  :D

Specs! We need to drool over the specs!

Sorry for the late reply.
Nothing really special for the price:

Intel i7-6700, 16 GB ram, 256GB SSD, 2TB HD 7200rpm, NVidia GeForce GTX980.

Only weak part is it's power supply which is only 500W... might steal my fairly new 700W supply from my current machine.
GTX980 is OK but will upgrade that in the spring.

43" TV is great and it's HUGE! had to build an extension for my desk to move it back an additional 10". Still using my old machine with it which has a GTX 550Ti so can't try higher resolutions than 1920x1080 yet.

Just got an i7 6700k for a new build myself.  The 6700k is suppose to be the best bang for the buck processor right now and the 1151 socket mobos  will take the next gen i7s soon to be released next year.  I got new water cooler for it  to see if it can go to 5ghz..or at least 4.8...

Barthheart

Quote from: jamus34 on November 26, 2016, 02:57:48 PM
No offense (and I know it's not for everyone) but you can build a rig with more for about $300 less. Especially if you cannibalize parts off of your current rig.

No offence taken. I use to build my own all the time.... now I can't be bothered. The sale on this rig was $400 off and I gonna use my old rig as a music server, so can't steal too much from it.
Plus I'm working in $CDN up here so there that....   #:-)

jamus34

Quote from: Barthheart on November 26, 2016, 03:20:44 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on November 26, 2016, 02:57:48 PM

No offence taken. I use to build my own all the time.... now I can't be bothered. The sale on this rig was $400 off and I gonna use my old rig as a music server, so can't steal too much from it.
Plus I'm working in $CDN up here so there that....   #:-)

Ahhh yes...the exchange rate is a killer.

I personally like building them...it's cathartic to me. That said if the opportunity ever presented itself for me to purchase a top of the line Falcon NW rig I'd be hard pressed to decline. One thing I'm not really comfortable doing is water cooling.

Now installing the OS and a metric crapton of software - not so much. That's something I'd gladly outsource.
Insert witty comment here.

Gusington

Toying with getting the Oblivion GOTY Edition for 9 dollah. Never played it... :-"

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bbmike

Quote from: Barthheart on November 26, 2016, 12:34:40 PM
Quote from: bbmike on November 25, 2016, 04:54:52 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on November 25, 2016, 04:52:06 PM
$250 for a 43" 4K TV to act as my monitor, picked up today.
$1600 for a new PC that shows up Wed.... first new PC in 7 years.

Oh... you meant games.... none yet...  :D

Specs! We need to drool over the specs!

Sorry for the late reply.
Nothing really special for the price:

Intel i7-6700, 16 GB ram, 256GB SSD, 2TB HD 7200rpm, NVidia GeForce GTX980.

Only weak part is it's power supply which is only 500W... might steal my fairly new 700W supply from my current machine.
GTX980 is OK but will upgrade that in the spring.

43" TV is great and it's HUGE! had to build an extension for my desk to move it back an additional 10". Still using my old machine with it which has a GTX 550Ti so can't try higher resolutions than 1920x1080 yet.

That's a nice system. I don't think the GTX980 is a slouch. I think it would run anything I could throw at it.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Al

Al

Gusington

Just bought Oblivion GOTY edition - I was totally tanked when purchasing. Does it still count?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Hofstadter

So far i have CMANO for 38 and Medieval II kingdoms for 12.
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

bbmike

Quote from: Gusington on November 26, 2016, 08:00:59 PM
Just bought Oblivion GOTY edition - I was totally tanked when purchasing. Does it still count?

Yes, with bonus points!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Tuna

Quote from: bbmike on November 26, 2016, 08:35:28 PM

Yes, with bonus points!

Did you see any side boob?

Gusington

Of course. I wouldn't have purchased without the s-boob.

What mods should I get for Oblivion to modernize it/get it up to snuff?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Bison

$0 on video games, but I haven't bought one in many, many months.

$...more than I care to admit on board games.

airboy

If drunk buys did not count, what would?