Train Simulator 2016

Started by BanzaiCat, December 01, 2016, 05:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

...anyone have opinions? Haven't seen any Let's Play videos, haven't had time to sit and watch them today, but that Humble Tycoon bundle is calling. Just curious if it's any good. For the record I did like the Sid Meier Railroad Tycoon games.

bob48

I have it, and a cart-load of add-ons. Its very well done, much better than the old MS Train-Sim from which it has evolved.

You can also get quality add-on from places like this;
http://www.justtrains.net/train-simulation-add-ons

I just got a couple at half price during the recent sale.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JudgeDredd

I find it very relaxing and pretty enjoyable to fire up now and again.
Alba gu' brath

ghostryder

I've got it as well as a ton of add-ons. the engine is pretty old and it can struggle when there's lots of stuff in view-and many engines and add-ons suffer from some bugs--mostly stuff like you can't see into a cab or the horn doesn't work--to a lesser extent some bugs prevent missions--especially tightly timed ones. But having said that if your a train buff there's really nothing on the market close. I buy most add=ons during holiday sales but it's still easy to sink tons of $$ into it. Hopefully the next edition will be the engine jump-which has been talked about now for years.

mirth

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 01, 2016, 05:03:47 PM
...anyone have opinions? Haven't seen any Let's Play videos, haven't had time to sit and watch them today, but that Humble Tycoon bundle is calling. Just curious if it's any good. For the record I did like the Sid Meier Railroad Tycoon games.

You're a sick man. Seek help.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

WallysWorld

I too have a bunch of DLC for it and really like it. Haven't played it for a while, but I go through phases when I spend a week or so playing it.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Greybriar

I bought The Count of Monster Disco for Halloween a couple of years ago. As an example of how Halloweenish the game is, the train whistle sounds like a woman screaming.

But what surprised me was that after installing it, Train Simulator showed up in my Steam library and has been updated to the current year's version ever since. I don't know if it will still work that way but if it does, you could buy The Count of Monster Disco for $9.99 and get Train Simulator 2017 for free.

I never purchased Train Simulator because:
1) The DLC is numerous and expensive (315 DLC costing a total of $5,941.90 if you bought all of it from Steam right now).
2) The game lacks realism--I didn't see any tenders attached to the steam locomotives.

Whatever your decision, good luck!
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

bob48

Basically, the only difference between the 'year' versions is the content that's included. I have 2015 version, but it now shows up with the TS2017 splash screen, but I obvious only have the content that was included in the 2015 version that I purchased. Any up-dates to the basic program install just like any other patch.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

BanzaiCat

I'm definitely not down with doing 44,124,750 DLCs for any game. ;D

It's not really something I'd go out of my way to get, and since it's part of that Bundle, I wanted to see if I'd like it or if I should just offer it up to the other grogs. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Quote from: mirth on December 01, 2016, 05:37:37 PM
You're a sick man. Seek help.

Except you. You're normally an enabler...WTH, man?  :'(