Order of Battle & Panzer Corps

Started by acctingman, March 30, 2017, 12:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

So, to someone who is a little slow, like myself   :crazy2:...what exactly is the difference between these titles?

They look the same to me.

Thanks  :idiot2:

bayonetbrant

Funny you should ask...  We've got a writer working on a review / comparison that'll be ready in about 2 weeks or so :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

jomni

Quote from: acctingman on March 30, 2017, 12:43:21 PM
So, to someone who is a little slow, like myself   :crazy2:...what exactly is the difference between these titles?

They look the same to me.

Thanks  :idiot2:

Order of battle has an explicit supply rule which monitors the amount supply coming from supply source (ships and towns).  This is the biggest difference in my opinion.

Hancock

I am a big Panzer Corp fan towards a game that is relatively easy to learn and yet has enough map and equipment strategy to make it a challenge at the high AI level.  I would play in the evenings on business trips to blow of steam.  Quick and easy if that is what you are looking for.  I was initially interested in the Order of Battle, but, like you said,  it is pretty much the same otherwise, so did not pursue.  Panzer Corp II is in development and due for release this summer I think. 
"Colonel, I do not care to die, but I pray to God I may never leave this field."

Gusington

The early iteration of Order of Battle was also scripted...not sure if the later versions are.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

acctingman

I think the first Order of Battle is free so I can try that out at least to see if I like it.

Panzer Corps I've played before and while it's fun, sometimes I feel it's just too simple. I need to find that medium complexity game!  O0

Thanks for the info gents!

JasonPratt

OoB is a little more complex than PanzCorps. As noted there are also scripted events. How you develop your force pool between and during missions varies a little, too.

The most important difference, to me, is that (aside from OoB:Blitz) the theater of operations is totally different. OoB seemed like the next advance of PanzCorps into what was effectively a major update for the old 5-star Series game Pacific General, and then with Blitzkrieg we were going to see the next generation of Panzer General games ported into this new engine. This coincided with the decision to make OOB's Steam presence a free unifying demo engine.

But then PzCorp2 was announced. I don't really understand the rationale here. Is Matrixlitherine giving up on OOB? -- are its devs? -- will the series run in parallel development now? That seems redundant, but Slitheratrix has been known to do things like that before. ;) Will OOB's devs now go to another publisher (for example LnL)?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

acctingman

But it will be awhile until panzer corps 2 is out, right?

Gusington

IIRC it's scheduled for this year...I think.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

I will respond at great length in the future.  Short answer, I like both but OOB is a deeper game with a better AI and a closer tie to reality.  I have several AARs on OOB.

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: jomni on March 30, 2017, 08:55:33 PM
Order of battle has an explicit supply rule which monitors the amount supply coming from supply source (ships and towns).  This is the biggest difference in my opinion.

-Supply system
-Visual Depiction of digging in (sandbags)
-Fatigue system
-Airfield management
-Army Skill Points/Perks

These are a few of my favorites. Sadly, I find the scenario design for OoB to be sub-par to Panzer Corps. I've just given up on playing the Blitzkrieg module for OoB; every mission had me playing whack a mole to kill a certain number of units. Boring.