Battletech is back!!!

Started by Shelldrake, May 12, 2017, 06:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

I bought it earlier this year and refunded it after playing twice.  I thought it was a pretty awful game for the reasons you stated and more, Jarhead.  I've never understood the love for this game.

Gusington

I think the love comes from so little being available that is set in the same universe for so long.

That said, I played for about 10 hours only. I go back but not sure when.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Huw the Poo

Gusington

When I played it over the winter I did enjoy it but it quickly got samey for me too, don't get me wrong. I didn't see what all the hullabloo was about but I didn't want to ruin everyone else's good time.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

FlickJax

This is a shame as I haven't played since the winter also but was hoping the DLC would have added to the game not detracted :(

Before I stopped my biggest qualm was the accuracy of the opposition compared to my levelled up pilots :(

jamus34

I was on the fence a couple of times to buy this. The most recent criticism from the Faithful have put the nail in the coffin for me. Sounds like there are no real tactics on display here just gang up and hope you don't get f'ed over by the RNG gods.

Insert witty comment here.

Gusington

^I didn't realize it at the time but that is pretty accurate. At first the novelty of it all kept me going but it began to get stale.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

FlickJax

I like the engine as such but yeah under the hood is all wrong....

Jarhead0331

I FINALLY took the plunge and went through the hassle of installing and configuring RogueTech.  There are a few major mods out there for BT, but RogueTech seems to cover absolutely everything conceivable and it certainly seems to address all of my complaints about the game...and then some. It is probably the largest, most all-encompassing, game-changing, massive, overwhelming mod I have ever installed. The amount of work that has gone into reshaping and rebuilding this game is breathtaking. It took 20+ minutes just to configure the mod for install and select which elements would be added to the game.

I'm not sure if I will have the time or wherewithal to actually learn how the mech bay, engineering, contract system, online map of warring factions and tactical combat actually works, but if I do, I have no doubt it will be a rewarding and enriching experience.

Just, wow.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Is RogueTech in the Steam workshop?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

fran

There is a guide on Steam: BATTLETECH - ROGUETECH (A Guide to the RogueTech Mod)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1415051734

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on September 12, 2021, 11:36:44 AM
Is RogueTech in the Steam workshop?

No. I wish it were that simple.

There have been several times over the past couple of years where i intended to get into RogueTech, but every time I tried to download or install it, I was always met with obstacles that I just did not want to waste my time with. First, issues with nexus mods, then issues keeping the launcher and installer updated, then issues with caching, then issues with having to increase the size of my PageFile, etc. I almost even threw in the towel this time, but I just stuck it out and got it all set up finally.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

How long did it take this time?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on September 12, 2021, 12:28:16 PM
How long did it take this time?

It didn't take that long once I had all the right files. The problem was that I had an older version of the launcher/installer and so I could not proceed past a certain point without the most current version. So i went back to the nexus mods site and downloaded the latest version. I then ran that and was informed that it too was out of date and I had to go to a completely different site to get the most current version. Why can't the launcher/updater just update itself. It was annoying to have to hunt for everything. Then, I had to create a PageFile in windows that is 48GB in size. Not happy about it, but it is apparently required due to the limitations imposed by the manner in which the game was coded or built. The Rogue Tech mod is apparently very taxing on system memory, again, apparently a byproduct of the limitations of the underlying programing.

In any event, it wasn't as bad as it all sounds, just a bunch of steps to get the mod up and running, at least, a lot more than what we have all become accustomed to. I should add though that the installation is the easy part. Setting up the mod configuration in and of itself is a complexity that requires a manual to understand what all of the options mean and whether you want them to be in your game...like for instance...nuclear armed super mechs. Sound really awesome, right? But nuclear weapons may also make the game unforgivably brutal and difficult. There are a lot of other additions that require a bit of explanation to understand how the options will impact the game. They all sound awesome and enticing, but some of them supposedly really make the game crushingly hard.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd