Main Menu

zombie shooter

Started by mikeck, July 11, 2012, 07:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

Just finished season one and two of "The walking dead" now I'm in the mood to kill zombies. Looking for a good pc shooter that is Single player! Seeks like so many are MMO or group play oriented....can't have that. Any recommendations?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

eyebiter

Several of the Resident Evil games are single player.  If you want a less serious game try Killing Floor or Borderlands: The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned.

Nefaro

I've seen a few cheap indies that are basically just mowing down lots of zombies.   One-trick ponies, as there's not much else to it from what I gathered.

A new beta was released of Project Zomboid a couple weeks ago,  but that's more a Zombie Survival game so you'll mostly be running away from them, unless there aren't many, and searching for goodies to stock up in a barricaded fortress of your choosing.   The map area isn't huge yet (six zones I think) and it's still not feature complete (although it has the basics in it to play a full game).  So I dunno if you'd get into this one yet. 

It's been kinda hard to tear myself away once I've started a game, so that's a good sign.  Seems like time flies by so quickly, and the water system is supposed to stop in a week ( no more tap water) and then power will go out in about two.  It goes by really fast when I'm looting some deserted home or something and gets dark quick (when even more zombies are about).  :-\

http://projectzomboid.com/blog/index.php/tldr-just-give-me-the-jist/

There is a series called Zombie Shooter.  There's a Zombie Shooter 2 out, evidentally.  http://www.sigma-team.net/games/action/zombie-shooter-2.html   Has a demo too.

From what I gathered from the demo I tried (of the first one IIRC??) it was just walk around and blast zombies away (and some mutated ones) while racking up points  and picking up ammo.

mikeck

Zomboid sounds perfect. I don't want mindless killing....I want to feel immersed, desperate and scared...just like real life.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Deadskin

you could try fort zombie  http://www.kerberos-productions.com/games/fort-zombie/  graphics aren't the best but it's fun. Their are a number of mods for it also, my personal favorite is the Romero mod that removes some of the special zombies and replaces them with the normal ones.

Nefaro

The Romero mod for Fort Zombie would make it better, sounds like.

I got scared of playing that game because even though it has bad graphics from 2001, that made my eyes ache since it's also in 3D, it ran my video card extremely hot.   That and some of the 'special' zombies were kinda dumb I thought (but the Romero mod would fix that I guess). 

Personally, I prefer an isometric view for my RPGs so I play Project Zomboid over that one, even though it's only in an early beta stage.  I'm pretty sure they're both dirt cheap, though, so trying both is always an option.  :D

Toonces

Alright, I know you said single player, but I cannot recommend Day Z highly enough.  Even though it is strictly multiplayer, you definitely play in your own world...unless you're fortunate enough to find someone to team up with.  That is unlikely- if you see someone....well, you probably won't see them because they'll see you first, murder you, and steal all of your stuff.

Day Z is a mod for ARMA 2 + Combined Operations.  There are a whole crap load of servers, but your account is persistent through all of them (so if you save/end on Dallas2 server and then the next day log onto the Moscow1 server, your character remains the same with the same gear, etc.).  The whole game is about survival, in that you have to eat and drink to stay alive so you spend the whole game scrounging around for supplies while avoiding zombies.  Further, it's anything goes so if you see another player you can kill each other at any time which adds to the paranoia aspect. 

A simple google and/or youtube search will turn up everything you need to know.  I really enjoyed it and I highly recommend it.  It is maybe a bit frustrating until you get the hang of it, but it's not easy, that's for sure.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

jomni

I didn't like Day Z for the following reasons.
1)  I couldn't install it properly since I am using ARMA X which seems to be not 100% compatible.  My 3D character is invisible and I cannot seem to show the debug monitor.  I don't grow tired, hungry, etc.
2)  Even if I get to join a server, I cannot see the players and zombies.  Sometimes I am transported to a blank map.  Probably some bugs.
3)  Nothing much in the game except shooting zombies or other players.  Shoot zombies to get loot?  But they don't give you much.  Most of the time, you avoid killing zombies because they spawn and chase you when you start shooting?  Then what are the guns for?  Shoot other players?  Yes. That's a fun and nasty way to get loot but not a lot of people do this at least in my experience.  Most are cooperating.  There is no real goal or quests. Too much of a sandbox.

But it was fun while it lasted though.  And may get better once they release a final version once they sort out my problems.

mikeck

Thx toonces...can't d mp though. I'm not going tobe killed every 5 minutes by a 16 year old so he can take my box lunch I just found. Too frustrating. Really, thats why i quit playing call of duty. Anyway, I guess i will try a resident evil.

LongBlade

If you can get over the single-player requirement, I'd recommend Left 4 Dead.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Toonces

@Jomni- well, if you had that many issues with the game, how can you possibly evaluate it?  I mean, I get it that you didn't enjoy it, but unless you see what it really has to offer bug-free I don't think you get true experience.

@Mike- I respect your decision, but I wish I could convince you to give it a try.  I played for about 6 hours before I finally got sniped by somebody.  I doubt there are many 16 year olds playing.  This is a thinking man's game.  It is not run and gun by any means.  It's more about tons of patience, stealth, and general paranoia.  You really should look into it some, especially if you already have Combined Operations.  The mod is free.  If you don't have ARMA+CO, I don't know that I'd say buy it for just this mod, although for $20 or less I'd say it's a very good deal.

Sorry I can't be more help.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

jomni

Quote from: Toonces on July 12, 2012, 10:27:35 PM
@Jomni- well, if you had that many issues with the game, how can you possibly evaluate it?  I mean, I get it that you didn't enjoy it, but unless you see what it really has to offer bug-free I don't think you get true experience.

Probably played 8 hours before deciding to get rid of it from my ARMA 2 install.  I actually liked it.  Just need to wait for the cleaned up non-Beta version.  I would definitely buy this if they charge for it.

mikeck

I don't have combined ops....have arma 2 and operation arrowhead.

Toonces

I think that's all you need.  My box for CO says it comes with the original ARMA2 and Op Arrowhead.  You install both into the same folder and it "becomes" Combined Operations. 

If you decide to do Day Z, let me know here because installing it isn't intuitive.  It's not hard, but it took me some experimentation to figure out the precise steps you need to follow if starting from scratch.

mikeck

Well what the hell...its free right? Ok, let me download it and take a peek. I will pm you for some 'structions....thanks man.