Post Scriptum - Operation Market Garden Shooter

Started by Jarhead0331, January 07, 2018, 01:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 18, 2019, 01:49:40 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on August 18, 2019, 05:43:38 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on August 17, 2019, 12:44:52 PM

I'll go look around Post Scriptum's current incarnation before I go look at Hell-warmed-over let Loose

There's three maps featuring US Airborne troops (Veghel, Grave and Best...to use the Bridge names from the Where Eagles Dare game).  Here's the Kirk from the Best map:

Best is a pretty interesting map.  IIRC, in WEDare, Starkweather remarked that the Best scenario was everyone's favorite in play testing.  And in reality it is where either the bridge was blown (its a tiny bridge) or the Panther Company turned up or both.  Of course in reality, there was a railroad bridge near Best, but PS is getting better at focusing things and the whole "fix the rail bridge or the pontoon bridge" with your logistics section is fading a bit in favor of making a critical position (if not always an objective -- there's a night version of Best where the Kerk is not an objective though it still dominates both AA positions and the main crossroads and the main road to the bridge).  Another shot of the St Omopthalos Kerk in Best:

PS -- the explosions and the panthers are related to the Son Bridge.  The Best Bridge was the scene of a series of more-or-less successful german counterattacks.  And the Grave Bridge is in the 82nd zone so its a Devil's cauldron bridge, not a Where Eagles Dare bridge.

PPS...the Grave Bridge is the last map for the Market-garden series on PS.  Apparently a whole new series is being worked on.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 19, 2019, 04:44:59 PM

I'll go look around Post Scriptum's current incarnation before I go look at Hell-warmed-over let Loose

There's three maps featuring US Airborne troops (Veghel, Grave and Best...to use the Bridge names from the Where Eagles Dare game).  Here's the Kirk from the Best map:

Best is a pretty interesting map.  IIRC, in WEDare, Starkweather remarked that the Best scenario was everyone's favorite in play testing.  And in reality it is where either the bridge was blown (its a tiny bridge) or the Panther Company turned up or both.  Of course in reality, there was a railroad bridge near Best, but PS is getting better at focusing things and the whole "fix the rail bridge or the pontoon bridge" with your logistics section is fading a bit in favor of making a critical position (if not always an objective -- there's a night version of Best where the Kerk is not an objective though it still dominates both AA positions and the main crossroads and the main road to the bridge).  Another shot of the St Omopthalos Kerk in Best:

PS -- the explosions and the panthers are related to the Son Bridge.  The Best Bridge was the scene of a series of more-or-less successful german counterattacks.  And the Grave Bridge is in the 82nd zone so its a Devil's cauldron bridge, not a Where Eagles Dare bridge.

PPS...the Grave Bridge is the last map for the Market-garden series on PS.  Apparently a whole new series is being worked on.

Ppps...There's four maps with US airborne troops: Best, Veghel, Grave and Vermolen.  I was on Grave last night and thing were hoppin'...as an infantryman I got caught in a pretty big armored battle (one Tiger and one armored car trying to stop a fair number of Shermans. trucks AC and infantry from completely shutting down the main German reinforcement corridor, and the last couple of objectives)...things must have gone badly because I ended up as a section leader on the German side.  It was late so I quit.  I don't think my out-of-practice section leading would have turned the tide.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 19, 2019, 06:23:23 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on August 19, 2019, 04:44:59 PM

Ppps...There's four maps with US airborne troops: Best, Veghel, Grave and Vermolen.  I was on Grave last night and thing were hoppin'...as an infantryman I got caught in a pretty big armored battle (one Tiger and one armored car trying to stop a fair number of Shermans. trucks AC and infantry from completely shutting down the main German reinforcement corridor, and the last couple of objectives)...things must have gone badly because I ended up as a section leader on the German side.  It was late so I quit.  I don't think my out-of-practice section leading would have turned the tide.

Here's a picture of that armored battle.  Apparently there's a special "Armor" type of scenario, but this is from the basic infantry-style scenario:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 22, 2019, 12:49:51 PM

There's a whole new update for Post Scriptum and here is part of the new training range:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on December 02, 2019, 08:51:10 AM

Here's a prescruptum PS:  The video on steam reveals that Chapter 2 is going to start with the battle of Stonne, May, 1940.  It's nice to see the Renault tank and the Char B1bis, but you'd think people would have given up on stony-faced close ups followed by exploding body-parts -- not -- of course that the battle of Stonne did not have some remarkably gruesome moments -- but generic inexpressive faces were probably not part of even the most sloppy slaughters even at Stonne.

And here's a Firefly reposing on the Driel Map:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on December 05, 2019, 09:39:14 PM

I was scouting in my armored car when I came across a smokey town and a burning sherman.  The place was swarming with Germans and i had to run over a few and maybe even shoot a few to get out into open country where a guy feels safe in an armored car:

Destraex

The latest tease for the last of the three modules.
First they had Arnhem
2nd was the Battle for France

3rd and final has been teased once before and now a second time. The latest tease has a piano in the fore ground with what looks to me like American troops in the background running through a city. People think it's the famous Carentan piano. If so I am extremely disappointed. I like that we would get German Paratroopers. BUT the cost of that is a well trodden battle with pretty passe ramifications from us oldies.
The first teaser was a beach with a Destroyer off shore. Which I can only imagine must be Normandy now.

Second Teaser
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

Well according to the scuttlebutt (rumors) Post Scriptum just had most of it's staff laid off. This news just as a new map is released in a 4gig update and probably finished all of the content on the roadmap from 2019. People all of a sudden announce the game is dead just because development has ceased. Like they cannot play the game in it's multiple theatre and huge amount of content complete state.

I am actually getting really sick of "the game is dead" trolls in a lot of games forums lately. They seem to be around in bot like hordes recently.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Isn't there an Operation Mercury mod in development? It looks pretty awesome from what I've seen.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

The rumors weren't helped by a sudden 70% off sale this week, I noticed.

The review-bombing, I also noticed, was mainly about fears the remaining bugs will be left unfixed. But for whatever reason, they think the player base has also moved on.

It's too bad. I was always impressed by this, and its main competitor, Hell Let Loose, but could never bring myself to get into it without a single-player option -- the lack of which was completely understandable but still.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MengJiao

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 11, 2023, 08:10:54 AM
Isn't there an Operation Mercury mod in development? It looks pretty awesome from what I've seen.

It was okay.  I think that was the last time I looked at Post Scriptum.  I've been playing Hell Let Loose occasionally since then.  I have had some great moments in both games, but
I think Hell Let Loose is more my speed (smaller maps, better graphics).  In many ways Post scriptum was a better game (with for example, on-map mortars instead of on-map artillery),
but it is easy to see why it hasn't prospered versus HLL:  HLL is a lot less demanding in terms of getting into some violently convincing fighting -- sort of an arcade game with a heavy
dose of what sort of looks like realism (basically you get killed a lot and generally with one shot or one artillery shell or one grenade etc.).  I think the communication schemes and spawning
and "supply" work better in HLL too.