Post Scriptum - Operation Market Garden Shooter

Started by Jarhead0331, January 07, 2018, 01:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skoop

Quote from: Destraex on May 28, 2018, 07:54:41 AM
Skoop you're a camper? I hate you! :P
I would have thought the scoring system would stop you from camping so much. Does it not reward teamplay?
But then if their is no progression system who cares about score right?

Lol, the maps are so big it's a different type of camping.  It's more like sniper stalking / human hunting per say.  For example, a point was captured by the enemy, so I remained silent in the woods near by.  Enemy just kept waltzing by me as I picked them off.  After I killed a half dozen guys they finally zeroed in on me, so it was time to bail. 

You can use the non arcadish spotting to your advantage.  Thats what I mean by a campers delight.

Barthheart

MengJiao

Quote from: IronX on May 28, 2018, 10:48:19 AM
The game does reward points for team play, although at this point it's not clear what it actually does. Personally, I'd prefer not to see the game offer bonuses for certain play styles and keep it a level playing field.

This all sounds great.  I'm not much of a camper and I think this game will not allow for my basic (unrealistic) strategy in FPS of getting a fast vehicle and a machine gun and patrol in enemy territory.  Which is fine with me (ie not driving around with a machine gun).  I'm looking forward to being a regular rifleman in a section and getting killed trying to reach an objective (which is my other basic strategy).  The real attraction for me is the idea of terrain that is more realistic than your average FPS -- that would be something!

Destraex

Meng, the terrain is one of the things I really like about the game. But it is Holland, which means it is pretty flat and open to begin with. But the terrain it does have is stellar.
Here are some of the terrain types I have seen:

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on May 28, 2018, 06:34:24 PM
Meng, the terrain is one of the things I really like about the game. But it is Holland, which means it is pretty flat and open to begin with. But the terrain it does have is stellar.
Here are some of the terrain types I have seen:

Fantastic!  Thanks for the images!  I guess the terrain has at least two interesting aspects: 1) It is based on a 1:1 representation of the area at the time of the fighting 2) it is where the battles actually happened.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Frame rates were very bad for me even with lowered graphics settings.  Still shots look great but it plays badly.

MengJiao

Quote from: IronX on May 28, 2018, 10:48:19 AM
The game does reward points for team play, although at this point it's not clear what it actually does. Personally, I'd prefer not to see the game offer bonuses for certain play styles and keep it a level playing field.

I drove around on a relatively vacant server.  I nearly ran into another player with my Bren gun carrier, but made it to the Dreil Rail Bridge:

MengJiao

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 28, 2018, 10:34:56 PM
Frame rates were very bad for me even with lowered graphics settings.  Still shots look great but it plays badly.

Seems to be working for me ( "Lance Corporal Lewis Carroll" ) with the graphics dialed back slightly.  Here's my first kill (an abandoned half-track on a relatively empty server):

Silent Disapproval Robot

Gotta try more tweaking I guess.  I played a bit last night but my frame-rates were still crap (12-15 fps) despite my dialing down the gfx settings to the point where it looked pretty bad.  I've also found that if you remap the controls, a lot of the functions won't work properly.  I can't change the zero on my rifle even though I've remapped the controls to do so.  It's stuck at 100m no matter what I do.

Zulu1966

I am getting quite good performance on reasonably high settings. I think the maps are amazing. However even at this early stage when you would think it is dedicated early adopters I still find it degenerates into to same trap every other MP FPS I have tried, including things like squad, into just a bunch of individuals doing their own thing with no real tactics or co-ordination.

IF anyone ever cracked that particular problem I would rarely play anything else I think. Apart from CM.😆
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Destraex

Zulu that particular problem can be cured by having a few friends along that know you want to enjoy the game by doing things right.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

MengJiao

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 30, 2018, 11:14:44 PM
Gotta try more tweaking I guess.  I played a bit last night but my frame-rates were still crap (12-15 fps) despite my dialing down the gfx settings to the point where it looked pretty bad.  I've also found that if you remap the controls, a lot of the functions won't work properly.  I can't change the zero on my rifle even though I've remapped the controls to do so.  It's stuck at 100m no matter what I do.

I do have a lot of things dialed far down.   No bloom or any of that and minimal anti-alias-ing.  All textures on high and not epic.

MengJiao

Quote from: Zulu1966 on July 31, 2018, 02:42:41 AM
I am getting quite good performance on reasonably high settings. I think the maps are amazing. However even at this early stage when you would think it is dedicated early adopters I still find it degenerates into to same trap every other MP FPS I have tried, including things like squad, into just a bunch of individuals doing their own thing with no real tactics or co-ordination.

IF anyone ever cracked that particular problem I would rarely play anything else I think. Apart from CM.😆

I agree that good coordination tends to be very rare in FPS games -- but even back in Red Orchestra days it could happen.  From what I've seen, PS tends to have a fair amount of some kind of coordination even at the worst of times.  For example, on a virtually empty server the 9th SS were bored and told us where they were lurking (text).  We coordinated a mortar barrage and I radio-ed in some suggestions from where I was close to the enemy and near the impact area.

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on July 31, 2018, 04:51:28 AM
Zulu that particular problem can be cured by having a few friends along that know you want to enjoy the game by doing things right.

First kill (guy with an MG42, I guess)...I think his theory was that he could sit on the reverse of this little lump and machine-gun people in the back as they went from the tent-spawn point to the front.  I was lost and came over the lump right behind him.  A minute later I was wounded and then found that I had became a squad leader (technically a section) and was kicked for "not leading" or turning over command or using my mic-- any one of those would have been sufficient.  I guess I had my sound turned down too far or something or wasn't transmitting or something.

Zulu1966

Quote from: Destraex on July 31, 2018, 04:51:28 AM

I get it may be better but even if I manage four friends on line at the same time that's still only 5 of  us out of 128.

I am talking two platoon sized units moving and operating as in a realistic fight. Not seen that kind of thing anywhere.

Have always figured money would work. So something like each player commits 20 bucks into the pot and the winning side takes the pot. Could even grade players on performance rather then sharing equally.

I know likely never work but would be so cool to have a proper battle in one of these games.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.