USS Bunker Hill, USS Halsey, or USS New Orleans -- what should I tour?

Started by meadbelly, August 02, 2012, 12:04:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

meadbelly

I have no idea why this didn't occur to me sooner. I'm having a hard time picking which of the above three naval vessels I should tour while they are in town for our Seafair Fleet Week. Unfortunately, I probably only have time for one, as their hours are during the work day, and I am out of town this weekend.

I won't be disappointed with any. I've never toured a Tico, Arleigh Burke, or Amphibious Landing Dock. I have a bit of a ship-crush on the Arleigh Burke from Harpoon days, and I am more than little fascinated by wtf an Amphibious Landing Dock actually looks like from the inside. Of course, the Ticos are among the class of the Fleet overall, and the Bunker Hill not only has some serious pedigree, but was also the first with the VLS system.

Not sure if pictures will be allowed, but I'm taking my camera just in case.

Any suggestions?

Greybriar

Personally, I would rather tour a guided missile cruiser than a destroyer or an amphibious transport dock. But that's just my preference.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

besilarius

See if there are any interviews in the paper or on the radio, with the person in charge of each ship's visit team.
Some are clueless about what people want to see, and give very limited, and uninformative, demonstrations.
Most are not, and will try to give you a taste of what makes the ship unique.
Still, if you can see the person in charge just sees it as another task to sign off, then most likely it will be an unrewarding experience.
During the tour, be polite, but notice which of the enlisted personnel are most open and friendly.  They can give you a lot of information that is not in the script.
One icebreaker is to ask what the ship's nickname is.  (Most folks ooh and ahh over the machinery.  Some of the sea-stories can be great.  Get them to talk about themselves.)
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

GDS_Starfury

the Burkes are bigger then the Tico's and theyre both guided missile ships.
the phib might be the coolest though if the landing well is dry and they have vehicles as part of the tour.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

I'd see the Tico. They are gradually phasing them out and who knows if you'll get the chance to tour one again. I think Bunker Hill is the oldest Tico still in service, so it may not be around much longer. The Burkes will be around for a long time to come.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

meadbelly

Excellent point, Mirth. Unfortunately, my time has been compressed today, so I'm only going to be able to check out the Halsey. . . today. The Bunker Hill is now competing neck in neck with the New Orleans as my tour choice for Friday!

(please be sure to visit my blog for other pendantic decision by decision posts of the Meadbelly thought process  :P)

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury

Ill put it like this.  if youve seen one missile ship youve pretty much seen them all.
have fun with a different class.  phibs are more interesting the carriers in what they do and how they pack it all in one hull.

Staggerwing

I got to board a Soviet missile frigate (actually ex-DDR) that was on display at the Fall River museum, (the same one where the USS Massachusetts is permanently berthed). It was a bit odd, all the mechanicals were painted an odd green, not quite zinc chromate, and the captain's area reminded me of the inside of one of those temp trailer offices that one sees at construction sites. The trip was a while ago but I'd love to go back with some folks who are familiar with military vessels.

EDIT: here's the blurb from the Museum web site:

QuoteHIDDENSEE
Originally commissioned by the East German People's Navy (the Volksmarine) as the Rudolf Eglehofer, the Hiddensee is a Tarantul I class corvette built at the Petrovsky Shipyard, St. Petersburg (formerly Leningrad), Russia. The only exhibited example of a Soviet-built missile corvette in the U.S., Hiddensee was designed to oppose any naval threat to the East German Coast, and to fulfill this mission carried long-range STYX anti-ship missiles and an array of defensive weapons designed to ensure her own survivability.

Following the reunification of Germany, the Hiddensee served with the Federal German Navy until her decommissioning in April 1991. Shortly thereafter she was reactivated and transferred to the U.S. Navy. Joined briefly by a crew of 20 former East German sailors, a small civilian U. S. crew conducted extensive testing with the vessel at the Navy's Solomons, Maryland, facility in the Patuxnet River. After 50 underway deployments in the Chesapeake Bay and Virginia Capes areas, Navy budget cutback severely curtailed operations, but she continued on as a research vessel until April 1996.

The Hiddensee joined the Battleship Cove fleet on June 14, 1997.

Here's the web site for those of you whom might get the chance to visit it: http://www.battleshipcove.com/index.asp
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Quote from: meadbelly on August 02, 2012, 03:31:13 PM
Excellent point, Mirth. Unfortunately, my time has been compressed today, so I'm only going to be able to check out the Halsey. . . today. The Bunker Hill is now competing neck in neck with the New Orleans as my tour choice for Friday!

(please be sure to visit my blog for other pendantic decision by decision posts of the Meadbelly thought process  :P)

I can't fault you for deciding to tour a ship named Halsey ;)

Starfury has a point about the phib. If you get to see the LCACs as part of the tour, it'd be pretty damn cool.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

meadbelly

The line for the Halsey was too long for me to get to today, but I'm in town for the weekend after all, so I'm hitting all three.

I missed getting a picture of a flight of Blue Angels in diamond formation on a flyover of the Halsey bow by about 30 seconds.

I will post the hilarious Canadian contribution to fleet week shortly as a very mild compensation.

GDS_Starfury

Smuckatelli

Quote from: mirth on August 02, 2012, 06:07:45 PM
Starfury has a point about the phib. If you get to see the LCACs as part of the tour, it'd be pretty damn cool.

If they are doing the dog & pony show correctly...there should also be LVPT-7s and some Marines.

mirth

Quote from: Smuckatelli on August 03, 2012, 08:29:01 AM
Quote from: mirth on August 02, 2012, 06:07:45 PM
If they are doing the dog & pony show correctly...there should also be LVPT-7s and some Marines.

More coolness. I've always liked the LVPT-7s. There look reminds me of the Jawas Sandcrawler.