Main Menu

Epic?

Started by Jarhead0331, January 30, 2019, 10:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yup, I had fun with Void Bastards.

CapnKirk

Quote from: Gusington on August 16, 2021, 11:45:06 AM
I want to get my mind off COVID and Afghanistan, so I'm thinking about Old World, which is available only on Epic. I have yet to download the Epic client, but if I were to do that, it would be for Old World. Anyone playing it?

I bought it last week, and I'm really enjoying it.  There's an active forum over at civfanatics for the game, and the  staff of Mohawk Games is very active on that board.

They've stated that their current focus is on improving the game's performance and balance, and that more content will be coming for the game in the future. 

Regarding the Epic client, Gog Galaxy supports linking your Epic account, so you can launch your Epic purchased games from Galaxy.  It does appear to open an epic process in the background, when you launch the game, but you don't have to open the Epic launcher proper to play.  I've read you can just make a shortcut on your desktop after you've downloaded the game from Epic, and that will bypass the launcher, but I haven't tried it.

Gusington

^Really?  :o

Was planning on holding out until it was released on Steam but I see no Steam release date anywhere on the interwebs.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

I think most Epic exclusives usually are about 1 year, but I could be wrong.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Jarhead0331

I don't think there is any reason to hold out on Epic at this point. I don't like the platform as much as Steam, and will only use it for exclusives, but it seems to run fine and nothing terrible has happened to me...yet.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

So the Epic client runs alright on your machines? No unforeseen shenanigans?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

I agree with Jarhead.  I didn't particularly want to have another game client, but Epic seduced me with all their freebies :-[.  So far I've had 0 problems with it.  Other than all the freebies I've acquired, I've made 2 purchases on Epic, Industries of Titan and GalCiv IV.  I refunded GalCiv IV with no problems.  It just didn't seem much different than the first three.

p.s.  I also like that Epic hands out $10 coupons in some of their sales.  I may grab Old World myself the next time they have a sale with coupons...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

^If Old World goes on sale on Epic, would you mind posting here? For me, your pal :)

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on August 27, 2021, 10:36:40 AM
So the Epic client runs alright on your machines? No unforeseen shenanigans?

none that I have been made aware of.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

My wallet weeps, then.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

steve58

Quote from: Gusington on August 27, 2021, 11:01:45 AM
^If Old World goes on sale on Epic, would you mind posting here? For me, your pal :)

O0

Grim.Reaper

I concur with others, have had Epic from day one and have had no issues that I am aware.  Doesn't bother me about the number of clients as already have a bunch anyway (steam, ubi, ea, battlenet, etc.).  If the same product is available on steam and Epic, I'll continue to choose steam as the majority of my library exists there and the epic client isn't as robust.  But I have zero hesitation picking up the weekly free games and buying exclusive items from Epic.

If another new download service came out tomorrow, I wouldn't have an issue with that either if they had things I wanted to purchase....

steve58

Just an FYI.  Europa Universalis IV will be free on Epic starting tomorrow 11am-ish.

solops

It is worth getting Epic just to buy Old World.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

steve58

Sometimes when Epic has sales they also have $10 coupons.  Thats what Im waiting for.  Just depends if you want your games all on Steam or spread out on multiple platforms.