Main Menu

Imperator: Rome

Started by steve58, February 05, 2019, 04:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: sandman2575 on February 06, 2019, 04:22:04 PM
Day one purchase without question.

I still find it weird how long Pdox is taking with its "Man the Guns" DLC. Still no release date. The original announcement was in May 2018, which is also when they announced Imperator.

Saw rumor somewhere the  release date to be announced tomorrow.

Toonces

Was the Rome 2 version Vae Victus?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

Quote from: glen55 on February 06, 2019, 02:06:42 PM
and having done a recent spate of ancient history reading

What have you been reading?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Toonces on February 06, 2019, 07:38:26 PM
Was the Rome 2 version Vae Victus?

that was its expansion, don't think ever was a rome 2

Toonces

Ah...gotcha. 

I have both in my Steam library.  I've tried to get into Vae Victus a few times, but the fun eludes me.

CK2 is my sweet spot.   :smitten:

sandman2575

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 06, 2019, 06:43:51 PM

I still find it weird how long Pdox is taking with its "Man the Guns" DLC. Still no release date. The original announcement was in May 2018, which is also when they announced Imperator.

Saw rumor somewhere the  release date to be announced tomorrow.

Hope the rumor mill is right. It's well past time that Pdox wrapped this DLC up.

glen55

Quote from: Toonces on February 06, 2019, 07:39:15 PM
Quote from: glen55 on February 06, 2019, 02:06:42 PM
and having done a recent spate of ancient history reading

What have you been reading?

I read Anthony Everett's The Rise of Athens and enjoyed it so much that I went back and re-read the good parts. I wouldn't call it completely authoritative, but it's literary and Everitt clearly has a pretty good grasp of the material.

Reread a couple of beloved Mary Renault novels, The King Must Die and The Bull From The Sea (about Theseus): man, I love her stuff.

Next up is Thomas R. Martin, Ancient Greece.

Not sure how long I'll be on this kick, but I'm enjoying it: for me, Western history had always started around 1066. Got any recommendations?
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

No recommendations from me beyond Rubicon.  That's why I asked you!

I've tried reading a novel The First Man in Rome by Colleen McCullough like three times and I finally gave up, for the third time, Monday.  I simply cannot for all my effort get into the book.  There's a great story there, I know it, but hot damn is the book fucking boring.  What's worse is I bought it (for the second time) along with its sequel.  What good is a sequel if you don't read the first book?  What good, I ask you?!

Gusington

It's like posting in a forum and not reading the posts above yours!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

besilarius

Glen, Philip Matyzak's books, Sparta - Rise of a Warrior Nation, and Sparta -Fall of a Warrior Nation, are both very good.  Together they give the most complete picture of Sparta that I've seen.
Also, there is a new book on Thucydides on Strategy, and the strategies he reveals in the Pelopennisian War.  Curious about this, but cannot say if it's worthwhile yet.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

HoodedHorseJoe

I recently finished reading Pax Romana by Adrian Goldsworthy. Was a really interesting read, especially illuminating on how the Republic first started acquiring its 'Empire', and exploring what it really meant to be a 'province' versus a protectorate, etc...

Most of the time areas were left to govern themselves, regardless of whether they had a governor or not.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

glen55

Thanks for the recommendations, I guess, but now I'm snowed!

Seriously, it's all good. Even though I don't read nearly as much as I did when I was not a lawyer who reads at work all day, when I get on a tear with a subject I can still run through a few books.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

CJReich46

Man The Guns - Feb 28th.  ^-^
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Pete Dero