‘Cause that’s what FRIDAYS are made of

Started by Jarhead0331, March 22, 2019, 01:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Quote from: W8taminute on March 22, 2019, 11:43:30 AM
Recently rediscovered the Ultimate Enhancement mod for this game [To End All Wars] as well and I'm playing that hotseat against myself. 

Oh? What is this module of which you speak?  :coolsmiley:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

This meanwhile reminds me that Silent Hunters 2 thru 5 (and DLC) are for sale in this weekend's Ubisoft Steam sale.

I'm pretty sure I have them in my cart somewhere, but I got distracted trying to decide if I should rebuy (once again!?) the Prince of Persia "Sands" quadrilogy. (Short answer, the games are too buggy on PC to be worth the effort; I'll be happier continuing to replay them every once in a while on my PS3.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

CJReich46

Sorry about your daughter JH hope she gets well :)

Happy B-Day Flick. Get you some cake!

As for me having endured the craziness of this morning, I am off as of now.

Spring Clean 19 is the plan for the weekend.
Also Diablo - Have to see how Roisin the Rogue and Prospero the Warrior do - I'm also trying out different rogue-likes too.

Field of Glory II /Pike and Shot.

I might grab Objects in Space since it is payday or something I dunno. We'll see.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Gusington

I've played a Prince of Persia port or two, years ago - don't remember which one.

Flick you might be right - The Wife was definitely unimpressed other than stating 'I hate that game...it looks so disturbing' to which I answered 'that's why I like it!'

My daughters were actually impressed because the little they have seen of it terrifies them (it's in no way suitable for kids) and they know it's been tough for me to beat damned Jack. They like games too - so I had their support 😎

I'm missing The Witcher so I may try Thronebreaker, the upcoming vampire themed expansion for Gwent and perhaps jump back in to the Blood and Wine dlc...it's been a while for that.

But for now, Jack the Mofo is dead, cut in two by my chainsaw, and on the harder difficulty no less!

I AM KING OF ALL I SURVEY.

Until Jack comes back to life, as he does, at really bad times.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Huw the Poo

Warframe with my gaming group as usual
Rusted Warfare - since we've all got a bit disenchanted with Warframe we've been playing this again, just like old times.  Such a cracking game, and ridiculous value for money
The Division 2 - going to unlock the Dark Zone this weekend.  I basically fell in love with this game the moment I started playing it

Quote from: Anguille on March 22, 2019, 03:14:20 AM
I will mostly be playing a campaign of Genghis Khan in Oriental Empires. Goal is to win that scenario (though it's hard).

I bought this recently but haven't given it a fair shake yet.  Any quick tips for a first-timer?

Tripoli

I'll be continuing my x-country trek in a PT-17 Stearman (formerly a Piper Cub, until FSX-SE died on me)  https://mutleyshangar.com/forum/index.php?/topic/24789-virtual-grand-tour-of-the-continental-usa-in-a-piper-cub/page/3/.  And some playtesting.  Will also get my head handed to me in the current FoGII tournament.....
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

MetalDog

Quote from: Gusington on March 22, 2019, 12:13:27 PM
I AM KING OF ALL I SURVEY.

Then this is the perfect time to give you the name I saw in the crew credits of Game of Thrones: Feargus

Go get'm, killer.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

em2nought

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 22, 2019, 12:04:28 PM
This meanwhile reminds me that Silent Hunters 2 thru 5 (and DLC) are for sale in this weekend's Ubisoft Steam sale.

Cool, tried to buy #4 for $1 at Ubi recently, but their website wouldn't work without me letting them keep my credit card on file permanently so...
https://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=silent+hunter
Stolen elections have consequences.

W8taminute

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 22, 2019, 12:01:08 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on March 22, 2019, 11:43:30 AM
Recently rediscovered the Ultimate Enhancement mod for this game [To End All Wars] as well and I'm playing that hotseat against myself. 

Oh? What is this module of which you speak?  :coolsmiley:

It's a pretty cool mod which breaks down the sides into individual countries.  So you could theoretically have up to 8 human players in a single PBEM.  The mod also tries to incorporate a lot of economic ideas from Pride of Nations.  There are new resources to use to create your armies. 

More info can be seen here:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=389&t=39807

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Dammit Carl!

Sorry 'bout the youngun' JH.

My schedule looks to be marginally "openish," starting today, so let's finally send some tonnage to the virtual bottom in Silent Hunter!

Angreifen! Ran! Versenken!

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on March 22, 2019, 12:13:27 PM
I've played a Prince of Persia port or two, years ago - don't remember which one.

ALLOW ME TO HELP WITH THAT!!  :D

...um, trying to think of easily memorable details to distinguish the games...

Did the girl occasionally spawn patches of grass and balls of light by orgasming to your button clicks? That's the PoP reboot (from 2008 iirc). Also the prince dresses in swirly ragged patches and wears a metal claw glove. It's very anime-ish.

Was the Prince trying to save his brother all the time? That's PoP Forgotten Sands. (Takes place between Sands 1 and 2, explains why and how the Prince gets a sand-artifact between 1 and 2.)

Was the Prince coming home to Babylon with a hot time-queen on a boat and defending his city from invasion while going insane from an evil Mr. Hyde scorched version of himself? That's PoP Two Thrones (aka Sands 3. The Sands of Time trilogy has different names on different platforms sometimes.)

Was the Prince acting all growly because he's being chased by a black tentacle monster, and got his ship rammed and boarded by a two-sword fighting hot babe with black sexy not-all-there armor? That's PoP Warrior Within (aka Sands 2.)

By deduction anything else would be PoP Sands of Time, the first Sands game. The Prince starts the game creeping on a sleeping princess in her bedroom during a rain shower, loots her city with his father, kidnaps her for slavery, steals a magic dagger, he and the princess Farah team up, she shoots arrows. It's very sad and romantic except for the creepy parts. (She's in Sands 3, too, after the hot time-queen gets sacrificed and dies. The hot time-queen is in Sands 2, too, but dresses in red strips of silk, and is voiced by guest star Monica Bellucci.)

Gusington

Sands of Time, that was it Pratt!

Feargus thanks you 😎

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Ah, the one with the wonkiest combat system! And most schizophrenic ambient music and sfx system!

An elegant looking game, however, compared to the kludge of Sands 2, or the somewhat hastily built Sands 3. (Sands 2 particularly was released as a buggy mess, and still has a couple of fatal bugs for the unprepared. But then originally the game wasn't meant to be a sequel to Sands of Time, and got verrrry quickly retooled as well as rushed.)

It's hard now to believe that after the runaway success of Sands 1, the sequels managed to get released each year thereafter, and a Disney film (very loosely telling the first game's story) was in theaters on the 7th year! (Along with Forgotten Sands in stores, and I think the reboot attempt somewhere before.) Seems like the whole production cycle took a lot longer than that.

Despite my glinty-eyed critique, the games actually did pretty well on story arcs for the Prince, and even for the two love interests.

Also, the forum's composition window recognizes "kludge" as a word but not "glinty" -- when the former is just a made-up word!

("All words are made-up." Yes, thank you Thor. :p )

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Anguille

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 22, 2019, 12:42:55 PM
Quote from: Anguille on March 22, 2019, 03:14:20 AM
I will mostly be playing a campaign of Genghis Khan in Oriental Empires. Goal is to win that scenario (though it's hard).

I bought this recently but haven't given it a fair shake yet.  Any quick tips for a first-timer?

Oriental Empires is more complex than one might think.

Here are my quick tips:

- Start one game with a small map as the normal maps are huge. Imho, it will help you understand the mechanics of the game faster.

- Ressources. Some ressources give you cash without any buildings (rhinos etc). Others requires some mining facilities.

- Don't build everything. Buildings can be very very expensive. At the beginning of the game focus buildings in you main city and only key buildings (archery for example).

I recommend to read the guide by Sanvone. It's a must if you want to master the game:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/357310/discussions/0/1488861734124212832/

This is also nice