Gunner, HEAT, PC (new tank game/sim-lite)

Started by hellfish6, May 06, 2020, 04:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hellfish6

I've ranted and raved a bit about how there's no good single player tank experience out there today that falls somewhere between arcade and Steel Beasts ($130 but high-fidelity) and doesn't involve "free to play massive multiplayer."

Looks like someone actually did something about it:

https://gunnerheatpcdev.itch.io/gunner-heat-pc-development-test-build

It's got a tech demo available for it, too, and a Patreon page if you wanna support development.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

Thanks for this. Downloading. Great concept. The video looked almost exactly like steel beasts.
I only have one question; will it have infantry? :P

EDIT: Just played it and makes me want to buy tank crew :P Even without infantry.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

CJReich46

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 06, 2020, 07:47:37 AM
You never know what you'll find on itch.io...
True. I've found some interesting games on there.

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

steve58

About itch.io....last time I logged in, I got a pop up about a data breach and a warning to change my password.  Think I got a similar msg from Greenmangaming about the same time.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

al_infierno

Quote from: steve58 on May 06, 2020, 02:13:26 PM
About itch.io....last time I logged in, I got a pop up about a data breach and a warning to change my password.  Think I got a similar msg from Greenmangaming about the same time.

Sounds like you might want to do a malware scan on your system, tbh
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

ArizonaTank

This game would certainly scratch an itch.   ;D
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Toonces

What's the status of this game?

Also @Hellfish6, how is it you only have ~70 posts?  I feel like I see you around here all the time!   ???
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

hellfish6

Quote from: Toonces on May 06, 2020, 09:17:13 PM
What's the status of this game?

Also @Hellfish6, how is it you only have ~70 posts?  I feel like I see you around here all the time!   ???

The game has two tech demos out now - the older (and free one) lets you try a bunch of tanks and fire gunnery and is actually quite good. The newest one for Patreon subscribers just lets you drive an M60A3. Kinda weird... the older free one is a lot more fun.

I just joined recently, when I googled for into on TF Admiral and Sea Power and found the only place to get information on them was this forum. Now, with quarantine still in place, I have too much time to bloviate. Apologies for the spamming.

Toonces

^ I didn't mean to imply you're spamming.  You offer a lot of great comments; I guess I'm just surprised it took you so long to join us.  I'm glad you're here!   :hug:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

hellfish6

Devlog today... I think their vision will resonate with some people around here.

https://gunnerheatpc.com/news/articles/dev-log-number-2-why-we-fight

Dev Log #2: Why we fight

With the GHPC Discord server hopping and the small but dedicated dev team hard at work on the Patreon-only vertical slice build, it seems like a good time to explain what the project is about.

Gunner, HEAT, PC! was started by tank nerds, driven by our experiences playing tank games. We remember the well crafted sim-lite titles from decades past, and we think there's a place for that kind of game again.  GHPC is not another free-to-play arena TDM game, and it's not a full-blown simulator you need a manual and a week of training to use.  We intend to fuse game and simulation in a way that preserves player experience yet doesn't sacrifice on realism where it really counts.

In order to bring about the kind of experience we would want to play, the design of GHPC will adhere to some ground rules:

Controls are unified and do not require re-learning muscle memory for each vehicle
Minor or unique functions of each vehicle are easily accessible through context sensitive interfaces
All characteristics of vehicles and equipment, from the armor performance to the ballistics to the gun sight reticles, are depicted realistically
The focus of the game is primarily on single player and co-op multiplayer (though PvP will also exist)
Teamwork and communication are paramount

There is no pay-to-win content whatsoever, including premium vehicles or research grind with paid skipping
Far from the simple proof of concept demo previously created by one person and posted on itch.io, GHPC is being redesigned from the ground up with high fidelity vehicle modeling, improved weapon and armor systems, more flexible crew control, multiple game modes, infantry/air support units, and multiplayer.  In particular, there are several upcoming features we're excited for:

A game mode for everyone - GHPC will offer a variety of ways to play your favorite vehicles.  These include single- and multiplayer scenario missions (historical and fictional), dynamic single player campaign, custom missions, and unique multiplayer game modes.  Whether you're searching for a compelling strategic experience or just some quick action, we've got you covered.

A place for every role - Each vehicle type will be utilized according to its abilities.  A scout car won't be brawling with enemy MBTs, but it can do recon and spotting work that allows the rest of the team to outmaneuver the enemy and apply direct firepower effectively.  An IFV won't stand a chance in a knife fight, but it can unload infantry, secure a key town, and directly bring about a win.  Whatever role you choose to take, it will be important.

Seamless control and vehicle swapping - This isn't a team deathmatch game where you use up your spawns and return to the hangar to soak in the defeat.  GHPC mission scenarios will allow you to select and control an existing unit in your team's force.  If you should get in over your head and lose that unit in combat, you'll be able to stay in the fight by switching to another vehicle presently controlled by AI - or maybe even joining another player's crew.

Multicrew - Work as a highly coordinated group to push your vehicle to its full potential... or at least have a lot of fun in the attempt.  Players will be able to team up by sharing responsibilities within a single crew.  If you've ever wanted an excuse to holler initial fire commands at your friends in a video game, here's your chance to shine.

Seamless player joining and leaving - Didn't make it into the queue on time?  Don't worry.  GHPC handles player input by giving you temporary control over the already functional AI crew members in a vehicle.  If you join late, or disconnect, or switch roles, the mission proceeds without a hitch.

Realistic weapons and armor - Health bars can't do justice to the chaotic struggle between tanks and anti-tank weapons.  We know these systems are complex and deadly in real life, and we've done our best to model them thoroughly in GHPC.  Every projectile flies true, affected by gravity, air resistance, local air density, even the temperature of the propellant when it ignited.  Every piece of armor is marked for material composition and thickness.  Explosive reactive armor tiles detonate and disappear.  HEAT rounds fuze and shred steel with plasticized copper; APFSDS normalizes and rips through slopes; HE-frag shells throw dense clouds of shrapnel; and ATGMs bob and weave their way to their mark.

Detailed system and component damage models - Even if the ammo and armor are the core of the GHPC combat system, the damage modeling is the key.  Live and die by the state of individual elements of your vehicle.  Every piece of ammunition in the ready rack is modeled and can be hit with realistic results, down to the difference between propellant and penetrator.  Every gunsight, every crewman, every fuel tank and engine are present in their places - and if they're damaged, you'll deal with the consequences.  A single shot to the right place is worth more than any number of overpenetrations that strike nothing of value.

Immersive crew communication - "Gunner, HEAT, PC!"  Hear the sounds of teamwork in authentic form: your AI crew members will shout out fire commands and responses in line with their current actions.  From the loader yelling "UP!", to the gunner calling ranges and hits, you'll get the full audio experience.

The future of GHPC is going to be awesome, and we hope you'll come along for the ride.  If you love what we're making as much as we do, consider supporting us on Patreon, or just follow along on our Discord server and YouTube channel.  If you haven't played the early proof of concept demo, it's free and still available to try out at any time.

Jarhead0331

Sounds fantastic. Eventually, they may have some competition too, with the reemergence of Microprose!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bobarossa

Or maybe they will become Microprose's 4th title!

Apocalypse 31

Is this JUST tanks? Are infantry going to be modeled?

If there's one thing I'm tired of....its having 4 games that do 4 different things

1 game for infantry
1 game for tanks
1 game for planes
1 game for warships