DEMO - Regiments - Single player RTS, cold war - Very WARGAME Eugen like.

Started by Destraex, June 24, 2020, 03:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

demjansk1942

Destraex

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

The_Admiral

Aye, but Mikhail wants to make another ready for this festival in June. Loads of progress have been made since Summer last year and he's just not too hot about keeping the old version online considering all the improvements done since then.

Destraex

Great news admiral... do you think he ever wants to compete with the other titles by making it online? Or does he want to keep it a low key single player title without all the attention multi brings?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on May 15, 2021, 03:12:02 AM
Great news admiral... do you think he ever wants to compete with the other titles by making it online? Or does he want to keep it a low key single player title without all the attention multi brings?

Ha! This isn't Fortnite or PUBG. What a silly way to phrase that question. Since when is a single player focused wargame considered  "low key"?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

The_Admiral

He's a single dev (although MPS does provide help having refurbished all the 3D models into what you've seen over the last few months). From what I understand on the discord he will stick with his single player campaign system. Game ain't "balanced" toward multiplayer either in this state.

He will have the attention he wants with the PR campaign ready to fire up when the game's nearing completion. Until then like most of us I guess he enjoys making the game he'd like to play rather than the game others would want him to make. We'll see how it goes during the next festival :)

Fortunately as you pointed out already when it comes to Wargame successors, there's a lot of different systems & love out there, I don't doubt everybody will find his darling eventually. So far though from the little we've seen, his game is probably the one veering the further away from the original Wargame formula in term of game design, as it is as much related to the legacy of War in Conflict as it is indebted to Wargame. Some might say it is actually closer to World in Conflict in some of the key aspects, but that's just my own personal feeling as a player.

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 15, 2021, 03:49:56 AM

Ha! This isn't Fortnite or PUBG. What a silly way to phrase that question. Since when is a single player focused wargame considered  "low key"?
Sorry Jar, but single player games do not attract the same attention in my book. Why? Because generally people are not talking about them as much as an active community playing against or together in game. Thus single player games generally are more low key if we are comparing on a gamer per capita basis. You don't get as much vitriolic, toxic or even just the sheer amount of argumentative activity you do in multiplayer games that generate huge organised active communities. It's not as noisy. It's more low key. Multiplayer games are much harder to manage, balance and patch because of the attention that successful competitive multiplayer elements bring.

Additionally unless a game has a multiplayer element. I would guess that it cannot generate the extra sales that those with multiplayer can. But once you enter that multiplayer arena, all of the above applies. The dev really needs to be on their toes or the multiplayer community just dies. As it pretty much has in Iron Harvest. For the devs, multiplayer communities mean things need to be fixed immediately and actively. It is certainly not a low key activity for the devs to have a multiplayer element if they are trying to keep their game growing in sales for the multi element to be successful.

The_Admiral

Oh btw, a gameplay video from April. Hard to see the differences that high over the battlefield, but they're around  ^-^
This is a deliberate attack against WP positions, which implies some cleaning of obstacles using engineers.

Voices were de-activated in this one session (they were present in the demo already though). Remember also that speed is adjustable & pause is the active kind - no need for monster clickfest skills if you decide so.

Cheers!

RyanE

"Additionally unless a game has a multiplayer element. I would guess that it cannot generate the extra sales that those with multiplayer can. But once you enter that multiplayer arena, all of the above applies. The dev really needs to be on their toes or the multiplayer community just dies. As it pretty much has in Iron Harvest. For the devs, multiplayer communities mean things need to be fixed immediately and actively. It is certainly not a low key activity for the devs to have a multiplayer element if they are trying to keep their game growing in sales for the multi element to be successful."

I see  this echo chamber is still alive and well with misinformation...

https://www.wepc.com/news/video-game-statistics/

"73.55% of gamers prefer single player games, 3.63% prefer Multiplayer games, and 22.82% like both equally."

"PC is still the most popular platform for game developers with 56% developing games for the platform in 2020."

The_Admiral

Well technically what Daes says isn't false - I mean, you won't claim the market share corresponding to the multiplayer base if you don't make a relevant multiplayer mode  ^-^
Besides, we're here talking about the Wargame community. Each existing community has its own stigmas, and that one genre sure has a larger than usual part of its community deeply involved, if not infatuated with multiplayer.

What Daes says after that is true too  - that is, you'll have to be mobilized 24/7 to make sure it works properly and satisfies the people it is made for, or your efforts will go to waste. Obviously when brought back to the levels indicated by the data you point out, it means spending most of your time fixing something only a minority of the player base will find attractive/useful. One can easily understand why the Dev would rather focus his limited resources of a polished single player game experience rather than risk it all. It is, after all, what Triassic & ourselves are doing too, for the very same reasons.

Destraex

Quote from: RyanE on May 16, 2021, 02:06:05 PM
"Additionally unless a game has a multiplayer element. I would guess that it cannot generate the extra sales that those with multiplayer can. But once you enter that multiplayer arena, all of the above applies. The dev really needs to be on their toes or the multiplayer community just dies. As it pretty much has in Iron Harvest. For the devs, multiplayer communities mean things need to be fixed immediately and actively. It is certainly not a low key activity for the devs to have a multiplayer element if they are trying to keep their game growing in sales for the multi element to be successful."

I see  this echo chamber is still alive and well with misinformation...

https://www.wepc.com/news/video-game-statistics/

"73.55% of gamers prefer single player games, 3.63% prefer Multiplayer games, and 22.82% like both equally."

"PC is still the most popular platform for game developers with 56% developing games for the platform in 2020."

The fact that the single player games or their single player components are more popular or at least have more time spent in them by gamers is not surprising. An analogy I could think of would be people watching sport on TV against the numbers that actually play sport.
However in the RTS genre which "regiments" seems to fall into, not having a multiplayer element is very unusual. Regiments reminds me of steel division or world in conflict.

I would not be surprised if the multiplayer component of an RTS raises the profile of the game and increases sales through streaming competitive matches. Even if the single player story is also strong. I guess Starcraft 2 is a good example of that. Just because people prefer single player does not mean they are choosing single player only games. Hell most of the best selling games of all time have a multiplayer element. Even if the majority do not ever use it. Multiplayer inspires and drives single player sales in at least a lot of cases I would guess.

I would have hoped that co-operative experiences were more popular than multiplayer Versus or deathmatch scenarios. I play a mix but usually in the RTS genre end up playing coop vs the AI due to both my and my friends lack of competitive focus and skills in a given game. I personally love a human element.

The_Admiral

It's a one-man endeavor, one has to take scale into account too. We're a little more than that, and we gave up on multiplayer in our first iteration for the very first reason. Launching into MP while maintaining a solid single-player game experience would be unwise if he doesn't have an actual couple guys in charge of the network issues alone. And the servers. And the rest. Anyway - I don't doubt Mikhail has great plans for the future of Regiments and the franchise, but he feels the need to first validate carefully the base concept before risking something bigger. Throwing extra money at it won't clone him, nor provide him with an instant team of experts of diverse backgrounds & relevant experience  ;)

Just look at how many people a team like Eugen needed to have Wargame EE running at all (while taking into account all the experience & tech from Ruse) and you'll see how big already a leap he's taking here.  :coolsmiley:
He's been helped  on some aspects he requested assistance. Look at the gorgeous soldiers for instance - these used to be sprites (!). Assets are fine as an area of improvement, because they can be done by somebody else in order to fit in his vision, but more than that would require re-thinking further the existing before it even, well, exists.

I'll stick to the first vision for now - time will tell how it delivers! On the technical side though, I hope you like what you see!  :hug:

MOS:96B2P

Quote from: The_Admiral on June 17, 2021, 04:01:19 AM
New demo released!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1109680/Regiments/

Looks interesting.  I watched a few videos and did some reading about the game.  I don't think it has a replay feature?  Something like replay the last minute (or more) of the battle? 

I like watching a small fraction of a battle from a zoomed out perspective to get the big picture and an understanding of the changing overall situation.  After that I like to be able to rewind (at least one minute) and get down in the weeds with a platoon to understand what their tactical situation is.  Why / how did 2nd platoon lose two tanks etc.  A replay feature also allows for zoomed in screenshots of cool actions that may not be noticed with just one play through.  It is also easier to gather lessons learned and modify TTPs with a replay feature. 

If it has, or gets, a replay feature I will probably buy this.