Main Menu

War Room on Steam

Started by mbar, August 04, 2020, 04:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbar

I just got wind of this game which does look interesting. Only thing that gives me pause is Wasteland Interactive is part of the development.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1175880/War_Room/

Raptor gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3vkBiOrdC8

al_infierno

What's the dealio with Wasteland Interactive?
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

-budd-

They don't support there games much after release, they move on. A few have been left in less than desirable state when they've moved on.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

mbar

Raptors video makes me want to get my hands on this!

Can ARMA 3 use predator drones and mobile command like that?

Lowenstaat

I saw that War Room fully released on Steam yesterday. Has anyone played it yet?
"Initiative compensates for a lack of skill."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Lowenstaat on November 18, 2020, 11:16:56 AM
I saw that War Room fully released on Steam yesterday. Has anyone played it yet?

It didn't release. It was delayed by 24-hours. Should be out today.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

It's out! Instantly bought. Not gonna be able to play much today (if any), though.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

I've played about an hour. Have mixed impressions. It has a lot of good ideas and I appreciate what they've attempted to do...but, it needs some work. Like, maybe a lot of work. It feels incomplete, there are a lot of information gaps, lacking explanations and ambiguity on much of the mechanics and game elements.

The battle system initially feels cool with all observation being accomplished via drone feed, but there is no control over your units in combat. None at all. As the commanders, you can only order support and reinforcements. Doesn't seem to be too much variety to the combat either, once the novelty wears off, I think most will end up not even watching.

Anyway, still want to give it some more time. The mission variety is cool and there a terrorist hunt system that seems pretty interesting. Win hearts and minds, secure villages and territory, go on patrols, etc. and gather intel on terrorist leaders. The root them out and eliminated them. We'll see how it goes.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

al_infierno

Looks and sounds a bit like an early access title that was released too early.   :-\
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Zulu1966

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 18, 2020, 10:51:38 PM
I've played about an hour. Have mixed impressions. It has a lot of good ideas and I appreciate what they've attempted to do...but, it needs some work. Like, maybe a lot of work. It feels incomplete, there are a lot of information gaps, lacking explanations and ambiguity on much of the mechanics and game elements.

The battle system initially feels cool with all observation being accomplished via drone feed, but there is no control over your units in combat. None at all. As the commanders, you can only order support and reinforcements. Doesn't seem to be too much variety to the combat either, once the novelty wears off, I think most will end up not even watching.

Anyway, still want to give it some more time. The mission variety is cool and there a terrorist hunt system that seems pretty interesting. Win hearts and minds, secure villages and territory, go on patrols, etc. and gather intel on terrorist leaders. The root them out and eliminated them. We'll see how it goes.

Yeah - I watched some of the more recent lets play videos and it seemed quite basic - my perception from the videos was of much greater tactical interaction. Overall the combat seemed quite basic as well - at least in one just a mess of Humvees doing things in the game they would never do in real life. disappointed enough in what I saw not to buy. which is unusual for me.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Zulu1966 on November 19, 2020, 04:07:05 AM

Yeah - I watched some of the more recent lets play videos and it seemed quite basic - my perception from the videos was of much greater tactical interaction. Overall the combat seemed quite basic as well - at least in one just a mess of Humvees doing things in the game they would never do in real life. disappointed enough in what I saw not to buy. which is unusual for me.

Yes. I've engaged in 5 or 6 battles and they all shape up the same way. Your convoy of troops moves down a road toward insurgents waiting around a few pickups and technicals on the edge of a village. Once your troops get close enough, their bisons and armadillos spread out, infantry emerges and bullets and rockets start flying. It looks cool initially, but there really is no discernible strategy and there is no obvious information on overall strength of the units doing battle. All engagements have been a decisive victory for me and I'm not certain why. Moreover, when selecting units to go on a certain mission, I have no idea which units to bring or how many since there doesn't seem to be any indication on the strength of the enemy's i will face.

Again, a bunch of good ideas in here, and I hope they support it and improve it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mbar

Played 20 minutes last night. Still in the tutorial. The drone is only recon so far. Have not seen any abilities like hellfire missiles.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mbar on November 19, 2020, 10:29:32 AM
Played 20 minutes last night. Still in the tutorial. The drone is only recon so far. Have not seen any abilities like hellfire missiles.

Next mission you'll get to use a drone strike. Look on the combat tab when in drone view...you'll see all the support options.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Zulu1966

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 19, 2020, 08:12:43 AM

Yes. I've engaged in 5 or 6 battles and they all shape up the same way. Your convoy of troops moves down a road toward insurgents waiting around a few pickups and technicals on the edge of a village. Once your troops get close enough, their bisons and armadillos spread out, infantry emerges and bullets and rockets start flying. It looks cool initially, but there really is no discernible strategy and there is no obvious information on overall strength of the units doing battle. All engagements have been a decisive victory for me and I'm not certain why. Moreover, when selecting units to go on a certain mission, I have no idea which units to bring or how many since there doesn't seem to be any indication on the strength of the enemy's i will face.

Again, a bunch of good ideas in here, and I hope they support it and improve it.

Yep - one to wait on then I think - or maybe when in a fire sale but doesnt sound like it would hold my interest long. Disappointing though as I had visions when I wishlisted it on steam there would be all kinds of base management / tactical decisions to be made.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Zulu1966 on November 19, 2020, 12:02:53 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 19, 2020, 08:12:43 AM

Yep - one to wait on then I think - or maybe when in a fire sale but doesnt sound like it would hold my interest long. Disappointing though as I had visions when I wishlisted it on steam there would be all kinds of base management / tactical decisions to be made.

There may be...in truth, the jury is still out. More features are unlocked as you proceed through your first campaign.

By the way, have you tried Invasion Machine. That one at least is very actively supported by its developer and deals with the same kind of "low-intensity" counter-insurgency warfare.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog