Main Menu

VR gaming guidance

Started by Phantom, November 07, 2020, 02:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phantom

We're looking at getting a VR headset for our son for Xmas, he's main gaming is on PS4 though he also plays on PC. Does anyone have any input on which would be the best route for VR? - is PS4 well supported (ie: plenty of games) in this format or is PC the way to go?
I'm totally new to this & from my research it appears they're mutually exclusive - in that a PC VR system won't work with PS4 & vice - versa.
Any guidance would be appreciated - it's a surprise present otherwise I'd ask him!
Thanks & Regards

Jarhead0331

PSVR is not the way to go. It is forward facing only, so it's generally a seated experience and will drastically limit the VR environment and your gaming options.

I'd say go with the Oculus Quest 2. Its a great starter headset and does not even need a PC to use. You can get a link connector that hooks it up to the PC so you can take advantage of the added power that a good gaming PC affords, but I've found that the Quest 2 is good, even without the link.

Another positive is that it is very affordable. You can get the 64 gb model for only $299. The 256 gb version is only $399. There are other options, but they are more costly and my recommendation would be based on what he intends to use it for mostly, as they each excel at something different, i.e. resolution, FOV, etc.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

KyzBP

I agree with Jarhead.  My son just got the Quest 2 and he's really enjoying it.  You don't have to hook it up to the PC but the bigger games will still run seamlessly if you do.

Yskonyn

One thing to keep in mind is that you will need to couple a Facebook account. That may be a showstopper for some.
Just posted for completeness.

The headset is very nice!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Phantom

Many thanks for the advice - that's changed my direction of travel. I'll look more into the Quest 2 - thanks for the pointer Jarhead.
Regards