Ultimate General: American Revolution

Started by al_infierno, November 16, 2020, 04:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glen55

Quote from: Destraex on May 16, 2021, 06:16:14 PM
Thanks for the rebuttal glen55.
I myself have never been much into American history. I know more about the American civil war than the revolutionary war of American independence. I really must read for myself one day. Perhaps closer to this threads games release.
I believe the book he read went with a surprise surprise, British Historian's documentary series.

As always I look for bias in sources and seek to balance that bias.

What books did you read by the way?

I read:  Alan Taylor, The Settling of North America and American Revolutions: A Continental History

Robert Middlekoff, The Glorious Cause: The American Revolution 1963-89, and

Ron Chernow, Alexander Hamilton and Washington: A Life

And I still feel a little bit at sea about how the Revolution came about, which seems to be a pretty complicated subject. It seems that conditions making it possible developed organically, but it didn't have to happen and perhaps wasn't going to happen until a series of events suddenly propelled it along. The major players pretty universally tended to be reacting to events as opposed to enacting a scheme.

Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

bobarossa

I really enjoyed John Ferling's Almost a Miracle for a military history of the American Revolution (570 pages).  He also has a companion book on the political history of the war titled A Leap in the Dark.  I've read only bits and pieces of that one (was a library loan). 

JasonPratt

I can second MacPhearson, and also his prior book surrounding the American Revolution, Freedom Just Around the Corner,  both of which are very balanced and detailed.

However, neither book focuses on the wars, but rather are meant to be early histories of the US from first settlers up through the settlement of the 48 states (generally speaking) i.e. up until the start of modern industrialization in the late 19th century. As I recall, the main war for each book lasts for only one or maybe two chapters.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tripoli

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 20, 2021, 12:48:44 PM
I can second MacPhearson, and also his prior book surrounding the American Revolution, Freedom Just Around the Corner,  both of which are very balanced and detailed.

However, neither book focuses on the wars, but rather are meant to be early histories of the US from first settlers up through the settlement of the 48 states (generally speaking) i.e. up until the start of modern industrialization in the late 19th century. As I recall, the main war for each book lasts for only one or maybe two chapters.

The first 300 pages of "Battle Cry" deal with the political and strategic situation from about 1840 to 1861.  The remaining 400 or so pages go over the war itself. see table of contents here: https://www.amazon.com/Battle-Cry-Freedom-Civil-War/dp/019516895X/ref=as_li_ss_tl?keywords=Battle+Cry+of+Freedom&qid=1582075681&sr=8-1&linkCode=sl1&tag=cwmonitor-20&linkId=632fe786287b90f2ea173e35b9dc1771&language=en_US&asin=019516895X&revisionId=&format=4&depth=1

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Boggit

Is this game still a thing any more?

I know Gamelabs was recently acquired by Stillfront Inc and don't know how things are going to progress from there as much of Stillfronts business model is free to play stuff and play by subscription. I can't see many gamers being happy with that.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 13, 2022, 06:47:26 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 13, 2022, 06:05:21 PM
Saw this page, suggests 2023...but who knows

https://www.gamepressure.com/games/ultimate-general-american-revolution/z65f7d?msclkid=6f2c7fe3c25811ecadd6dd84663198ed

That's disappointing if true. I guess some news is better than no news though...

If I am not mistaken, these developers are in Ukraine so even 2023 might be optimistic.......

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 13, 2022, 06:56:21 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 13, 2022, 06:47:26 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 13, 2022, 06:05:21 PM
Saw this page, suggests 2023...but who knows

https://www.gamepressure.com/games/ultimate-general-american-revolution/z65f7d?msclkid=6f2c7fe3c25811ecadd6dd84663198ed

That's disappointing if true. I guess some news is better than no news though...

If I am not mistaken, these developers are in Ukraine so even 2023 might be optimistic.......

They are in Kiev, but I don't like excuses.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

FarAway Sooner

JH, you really need to use your winkie face in posts like that, man!   ;)

The best military history of the American War that I ran across was The Glorious Cause, by Middlekauf https://www.amazon.com/Glorious-Cause-American-Revolution-1763-1789/dp/019531588X/ref=kwrp_li_std_nodl.  It is about 2/3 military, but constantly frames everything in terms of the political realities on both sides of the Atlantic, and it does a good job analyzing the lead-up to the outbreak of hostilities. 

I have no idea how fairly it's regarded by English scholars of the topic, but American scholars of the topic seem to view it as a fairly even-handed treatment of things.  It's not short, but few good histories are.

FarAway Sooner

In terms of histories of the American Civil War, it might be the most interesting to military enthusiasts of other countries to focus on the military side of the conflict, due to the foreshadowing of WW I tactics and doctrine.  Machine guns and barbed wire weren't invented yet, but the use of rapid-reloading rifles and the increasing deadliness of cannon fire were definitely the first signs that the balance of power was shifting decisively towards the defender.

There's a bit of a Culture Wars kerfluffle in the U.S. today around whether the US Civil War was about Southern States "fighting for freedom and states' rights", or "to preserve the institution of slavery".  Without sending this thread off to the R&P board, I'd suggest that non-US-born readers might be okay skipping books that are heavy on the historical analysis, because that stuff is probably of little interest to them and some of it is of dubious historical accuracy.  A focus on the military side of the American Civil War neatly sidesteps that problem. 

Along those lines, you might well be better off just reading a book on the Battle of Gettysburg for a view into the military realities of the time and sidestep all the political conjecture.  The Killer Angels by Shaara is some first-rate historical fiction, if you need an easy-to-read and short warm-up on the topic.  His history is not impeccable, but I think it's pretty good for the most part.

There are a dozen or more excellent books available on The Battle of Gettysburg.  It's certainly the best-documented battle ever fought on American soil.

Grim.Reaper

Sounds like this was at least confirmed to be in progress, but no release date.....day one purchase, if not a pre purchase whenever it comes:)

Gusington

Me too...day one purchase. I know I have been trying to swear off day one buys, but this one just looks too good  :3musketeer:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd