IL-2 Sturmovik: Tank Crew - Clash at Prokhorovka

Started by Zulu1966, November 20, 2020, 12:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu1966

I presume this is just - Tank Crew thats been out for a while and nothing different

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1467120/IL2_Sturmovik_Tank_Crew__Clash_at_Prokhorovka/

Man it seems expensive - with no infantry - air or artillery just tanks ... I was thinking it may be worth it from a VR perspective - as an experience thing - but not sure...

Any opinions ?
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Dammit Carl!

If you peep the "IL2," thread on here, you can catch up on what general consensus is from the players of the game on this board.

Having said that - and hoping I didn't sound snarky there as I did not want to seem as such, I am an unabashed tread-head so I'm over the moon with the game.  Would love a greater combined arms (infantry, off-board arty support, etc.) sort of thing, but it is what it is.  If I have any opinion to offer, its that you should wait until it goes on sale before picking it up.  777 Studios runs a sale every 3 to 4 months it seems, and Christmas is right around the corner, so...

Father Ted

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on November 20, 2020, 12:56:46 PM
If I have any opinion to offer, its that you should wait until it goes on sale before picking it up.  777 Studios runs a sale every 3 to 4 months it seems, and Christmas is right around the corner, so...

That's going to be my tactic too.  Been thinking about this one for a while, but it is a bit steep for a slight punt, and I've *got* to get the Battle of Normandy module as well.

@Zulu - there is definitely air involved,  in both MP and SP.

JasonPratt

I was thinking, eh, $60, unsure...

...then I realized it needs IL-2 to play, so I thought I should clarify here that this game costs US$110.

Not so much for me, I've already got IL-2, but $60 is a little steep for me right now on a game with no air threat or infantry yet. (Granted, air would be tantamount to a random kill, so for gameplay I can understand no air.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Skoop

Game goes on sale regularly, probably will be on sale for Christmas.  If you drive tanks on mp servers you'll have air...piloted by players in il2s and Stukas trying to blow you up.  They're also adding crewable AA so you can shoot back with more than small caliber mg.

JasonPratt

Oh, right, I forgot the mp servers can overlap; that's certainly the way to go. I've played a lot more IL-2BoX on mp than I expected I would, much moreso than singleplayer.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Destraex

Quote from: Zulu1966 on November 20, 2020, 12:39:43 PM
I presume this is just - Tank Crew thats been out for a while and nothing different

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1467120/IL2_Sturmovik_Tank_Crew__Clash_at_Prokhorovka/

Man it seems expensive - with no infantry - air or artillery just tanks ... I was thinking it may be worth it from a VR perspective - as an experience thing - but not sure...

Any opinions ?
No idea about VR. But the game definitely has air and artillery as well as AT guns and all sorts of support vehicles like half tracks. It does have people models, but only for crewed vehicles. Infantry "should" be coming but the latest comments from the devs seem to back off somewhat on those intentions:

What is the status of the promised infantry in tank crew? If it is released I assume they are in the finished product?
· Reply · 4d

Author
IL-2 Sturmovik
No infantry was not part of the initial product and never advertised as part of it. I have talked about it as a potential feature that we are inventing, so they are not in yet even though it is released. Released does not mean finished per se.

However check the statements around timestamp 1:10.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

The VR experience in Tank Crew is fantastic. If feeling like you are actually in the commander's position in a Tiger sounds appealing, then I'd say its a must buy.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Apocalypse 31

I'm holding off until this drops between $30-$40. I've done some IL2 tanking with the vanilla assets and I wasn't impressed - DEFINITELY not $70 Impressed

Steel Beasts has ruined most tanking experiences for me.

Also- I think DCS has good tank assets (WW2, even) and a much better scenario editor to create custom content.

Zulu1966

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 24, 2020, 05:29:33 PM
The VR experience in Tank Crew is fantastic. If feeling like you are actually in the commander's position in a Tiger sounds appealing, then I'd say its a must buy.

Yeah it is certainly the appeal. Though I dont use my headset nearly enough to probably justify the price so will likely wait till as others advise for a sale. Will definitely look to pick it up. Flight sims in a VR set are another world.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Destraex

Did a little multiplayer tonight. I need to find a good server for this. Because most of my time was spent driving and then capturing. Which took literally 10-15mins on my own with the engine off twiddling my thumbs.

Rayfer

Des....I don't play this genre of game, but man it looks great...!

solops

This game may get me to finally jump into VR. One thing it cannot recreate is the feeling of claustrophobia.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Destraex

Quote from: Rayfer on April 04, 2021, 11:08:38 AM
Des....I don't play this genre of game, but man it looks great...!
I get you Rayfer. It is a very slow game to play. The old adage "hurry up and wait" comes to mind.
The terrain is definitely not the best, when it comes to looks. But it does the job.

Destraex

Quote from: solops on April 04, 2021, 11:52:30 AM
This game may get me to finally jump into VR. One thing it cannot recreate is the feeling of claustrophobia.
I always felt more safe than claustrophobic in armoured vehicles. Even though they are just one bloody big target.
But yeah, I get that you don't mean it literally, you mean the smallness of the spaces you have to work in. Lucky we do not have 5D smell and fume simulation either.
Although again, I don't think it would be so bad. WW1 tanks though, whole different story.

I have to tell you as well. I find the German tank scopes so much easier to use than the Allied ones.