Main Menu

Surfin’ FRIDAY!

Started by Jarhead0331, February 05, 2021, 07:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Picked up Valheim and having a blast with it so far.  It's a procedurally generated survival sandbox base-building game a la The Forest or Minecraft, but the combat is actually pretty good and it has RPG elements like skill progression and boss fights.  The early grind is a bit tedious, as in most survival games, but my early impression is really strong.  It feels quite polished for an EA title.  It's not roblox-based, but still has nice terraforming features and proper procedural generation, so I'm digging it more than The Forest so far (which I enjoyed a lot).
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Quote from: al_infierno on February 11, 2021, 05:20:53 AM
Picked up Valheim and having a blast with it so far.  It's a procedurally generated survival sandbox base-building game a la The Forest or Minecraft, but the combat is actually pretty good and it has RPG elements like skill progression and boss fights.  The early grind is a bit tedious, as in most survival games, but my early impression is really strong.  It feels quite polished for an EA title.  It's not roblox-based, but still has nice terraforming features and proper procedural generation, so I'm digging it more than The Forest so far (which I enjoyed a lot).

WAB reviewed this as the best survival game he has ever played. Everyone is raving about it. I've wished listed it due to all the favorable reviews, but when watching videos videos and looking at screenshots, it just looks like a standard average survival game to me. Do you play solo or in a group?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

al_infierno

I've only been playing solo so far, and I've just gotten past the first boss.  If you're not a fan of the survival game formula and the grind that goes along with it, this title won't do anything to convince you otherwise.  I had the same impression about the screenshots, but playing the game myself gave me a stronger impression.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

Just about to pull the trigger on this, it's in my Steam cart, although I have never played a survival game ever. I have read reviews where players call it Skyrim combined with Far Cry and Dark Souls.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

I haven't read any reviews, but that comparison seems like quite a stretch IMO.  I can see where it's coming from - the skills system is reminiscent of the Elder Scrolls games (jumping a lot increases your jumping skill, sprinting increases your sprint skill, etc.), and the stamina management and boss fights certainly have a bit of a Dark Souls vibe to them.  I'm not sure where the Far Cry comparison is coming from except that there seem to be multiple islands you can travel around.

This seems like a pretty solid entry-point into the genre, but keep in mind that some rather basic progression is locked behind boss fights, which is unusual for survival games.  For example, you have to beat the first boss to get a pick-axe to mine stuff or, more importantly, remove rocks that block your base construction.  Most survival games let you craft a basic tool like this right out the gate.

- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: al_infierno on February 11, 2021, 12:04:06 PM
I've only been playing solo so far, and I've just gotten past the first boss.  If you're not a fan of the survival game formula and the grind that goes along with it, this title won't do anything to convince you otherwise.  I had the same impression about the screenshots, but playing the game myself gave me a stronger impression.

When you play solo, do you still have to join servers and/or do other players at all end up in your world messing with your things?  Or is it completely offline and you don't interact with anyone?  If it is the later, then something I might give a try.

al_infierno

Nope, solo is completely offline with the option to host your world(s) as an online lobby, or switch it back at any time.  In solo, you can never pause the game though - which might be partially what draws the Dark Souls comparison.

- MengJiao