Carrier Battles WW2: Admiral of the Fleet

Started by Jarhead0331, March 15, 2021, 07:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Blond_Knight

To me it looks very similar to JTS Midway.

Tripoli

I've spent about 3 hours with the game thus far.  The game style reminds me of "the 1992 game "Carrier Strike", which was a fun title.  Full Disclosure: I'm associated at a variety of levels with several projects that could be considered competitors to this design.  Therefore, I'm going to accentuate the positive on this game in my comments below:

Positives:
1) the Price.  $14.00 for a game isn't bad, and you are helping a small independent developer if you buy it.
2) The subject matter-there aren't too many games on carrier warfare in 1942 to pick from
3) Speed.  The game is simple, and good for a quick play through when you have limited game playing time. I haven't finished any game, but you can generally do a 12 hour turn every 30 minutes or so
4) It does have submarines.  I never got into an ASW action or sub attack, so I can't comment on the accuracy of the ASW model.  Neither can I comment on the accuracy of the ground combat or surface warfare model.
5) It does feature deck handling of aircraft, which is a major factor in WWII carrier warfare, and frequently not addressed in the few games on the subject.
6) The game has sliders that allow the player to improve/degrade radar/aircraft and bombing performance.

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

bobarossa

How does it incorporate deck handling if turns are 12 hours long?  That`s only two turns a day.

Toonces

I took it to mean that you could play 12 hours of game time in 30 minutes of real time, not that "turns" are in 12-hour increments.

From the videos on Steam it looks like continuous real time, certainly with time acceleration.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Tripoli

Quote from: bobarossa on March 17, 2021, 05:40:14 PM
How does it incorporate deck handling if turns are 12 hours long?  That`s only two turns a day.

It is a continuous clock, so no turns per se.  Playing a Coral Sea scenario, I was able to order/conduct flight ops for TF 17, LBA search ops out of Noumea, and CAP out of Port Morsby for 12 hours of game time, in 30 minutes of play time.  That was at a generally comfortable 2:1 time compression, with occasional bursts of faster compression between air ops cycles.  I don't believe the game allows you automate the flight ops, so, I think that is a comfortable time compression for the individual attention you need to give your units.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Sir Slash

Thanks Trip. Still on the fence but I hope they do well with this one.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Weiveismart on March 16, 2021, 12:56:16 AM
Good, I think I will buy a support developer

I think there's an Amendment that makes that illegal.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback