Blood Sugar Sex FRIDAY!

Started by Jarhead0331, March 12, 2021, 02:15:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobarossa

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 12, 2021, 11:13:55 AM
... you can find me downstairs...follow the sound of gunfire.
That ought to be in someone's signature line

Continuing to play Shadow Empires.  Currently 3rd after 100 turns.  Some bastard has covered 1/4 of the planet and he needs to die.

devoncop

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 12, 2021, 10:21:34 AM
I can sympathize with the Mole-Thing Trip, they are a plague of Destructicons at times.  :pullhair:   Congrats on the win in PoE Devoncorp, I think you'll enjoy PoE 2 as well. Quiet day tomorrow so I'll try to get in a little Rome 2 with the DEI Mod, but lately Stainless Steel for Medi TW 2 has been calling my name. And that's one lovely lady I can never say no to. Have a great weekend Grogs.  O0

Cheers Sir SlSh it was a blast.

I will save POE 2 for a while.... as though I bounced off Distant Worlds badly today....I have just bought the preorder of War in the East 2 .....so am trying to learn War in the East 1 a little bit first which has been sat in my Steam account lonely and unloved for too long. I have ordered the hardback manual for WITE2 so that will help a lot I am sure but at the minute You Tube is my friend  :)
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Sir Slash

From the video I've seen, I actually like the WitE 1 map/screen better than the new one from WitW. I know you can adjust the detail but it just seems flatter and less interesting. The map from WitE 1 looks delicious to me. If it had wing sauce, I'd eat it tonight along with a cold brew.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

al_infierno

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 12, 2021, 03:35:11 PM
From the video I've seen, I actually like the WitE 1 map/screen better than the new one from WitW. I know you can adjust the detail but it just seems flatter and less interesting. The map from WitE 1 looks delicious to me. If it had wing sauce, I'd eat it tonight along with a cold brew.

You're not using the "Rainy Day in Russia" mod for WitE1, are you?  If so I still agree, but that's an unfair comparison.  :buck2:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

al_infierno

Currently in the midst of a Crusader Kings II campaign with the Game of Thrones mod.  I chose a custom start date right around the beginning of the first season/novel, replacing Robin of the Vale with a custom character named Waldon Winefeld.  I've tried inserting custom characters into other realms, but if you replace a powerful and respected Lord Paramount, you tend to find yourself staving off civil war by a bunch of lords confused by the sudden inexplicable change in leadership.  So far things are going smoothly -- I have Littlefinger as my Castellan and with sufficient gold I've kept him friendly.  His ridiculous stats allow him to handles business pretty damn effectively.  However, now I'm four children (one of which was stillborn) into the first generation of my dynasty, and my player character got cancer.  Fack.   :pullhair:

With enough luck, I'll keep Waldon alive long enough for his son, Waldon II, to come of age.  It's annoying as hell when your ruler dies and you're stuck with a little kid during a regency for years and years until they finally reach 16.  Right now, the kid is 10, and I'm 2 years into Waldon I's cancer diagnosis (age 30).  Treatment is going well, so with enough luck I won't keel over within 6 years, allowing for a relatively smooth transition.

On the bright side, Waldon I has had one hell of a reign as Lord Paramount of the Vale.  I've participated in multiple civil wars defending King Robert Baratheon (who managed to avoid the fate he suffers in the show/books) and kicked massive amounts of ass.  He earned the nickname "The Hammer of Dalston Keep" after getting separated from his troops in a battle involving over 25k men, and managed to cleave his way back to safety.  Thank God I took the Trained Fighter trait in character creation.  :buck2:

Several years of clumsy intrigue later, and just about every powerful lord in my realm has been killed or deposed after eventually betraying or conspiring against me.  I have 4 rivals who I've sent to live out their lives in the Night's Watch, dooming them to a fate worse than death: cleaning toilets and celibacy.   :hide:  The last heavy-hitters from the canon that are still standing were Littlefinger and Brynden Blackfish, but old Brynden died of age.  Littlefinger is just about my only friend in the realm, but a friend like him is all you need in Westeros.  The heirs who've taken over mostly hate my guts, but my Fear rating is high enough that they probably won't mess with me for at least a few more years.  A bit like The Godfather, it seems like civil wars need to happen every 5 years or so to wash out the bad blood.   :knuppel2:

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

devoncop

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 12, 2021, 03:35:11 PM

I actually like both maps from what I have seen though riverlines do look better in WITE 1.

As an aside I am incredibly impressed by the tutorial series by Strategy Gaming Dojo for WITE 1 and although I am only about halfway through episode 2 of 12 so far I feel much more confident already about tackling the game and its successor that I ordered yesterday.

Due to a mix up it seems I ordered 2 games and two hardback manuals   ::) so if I can't resolve it through Matrix support I
may be playing Father Christmas  ;)

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

al_infierno

Quote from: al_infierno on March 12, 2021, 09:13:18 PM
Currently in the midst of a Crusader Kings II campaign with the Game of Thrones mod.  I chose a custom start date right around the beginning of the first season/novel, replacing Robin of the Vale with a custom character named Waldon Winefeld.  I've tried inserting custom characters into other realms, but if you replace a powerful and respected Lord Paramount, you tend to find yourself staving off civil war by a bunch of lords confused by the sudden inexplicable change in leadership.  So far things are going smoothly -- I have Littlefinger as my Castellan and with sufficient gold I've kept him friendly.  His ridiculous stats allow him to handles business pretty damn effectively.  However, now I'm four children (one of which was stillborn) into the first generation of my dynasty, and my player character got cancer.  Fack.   :pullhair:

With enough luck, I'll keep Waldon alive long enough for his son, Waldon II, to come of age.  It's annoying as hell when your ruler dies and you're stuck with a little kid during a regency for years and years until they finally reach 16.  Right now, the kid is 10, and I'm 2 years into Waldon I's cancer diagnosis (age 30).  Treatment is going well, so with enough luck I won't keel over within 6 years, allowing for a relatively smooth transition.

On the bright side, Waldon I has had one hell of a reign as Lord Paramount of the Vale.  I've participated in multiple civil wars defending King Robert Baratheon (who managed to avoid the fate he suffers in the show/books) and kicked massive amounts of ass.  He earned the nickname "The Hammer of Dalston Keep" after getting separated from his troops in a battle involving over 25k men, and managed to cleave his way back to safety.  Thank God I took the Trained Fighter trait in character creation.  :buck2:

Several years of clumsy intrigue later, and just about every powerful lord in my realm has been killed or deposed after eventually betraying or conspiring against me.  I have 4 rivals who I've sent to live out their lives in the Night's Watch, dooming them to a fate worse than death: cleaning toilets and celibacy.   :hide:  The last heavy-hitters from the canon that are still standing were Littlefinger and Brynden Blackfish, but old Brynden died of age.  Littlefinger is just about my only friend in the realm, but a friend like him is all you need in Westeros.  The heirs who've taken over mostly hate my guts, but my Fear rating is high enough that they probably won't mess with me for at least a few more years.  A bit like The Godfather, it seems like civil wars need to happen every 5 years or so to wash out the bad blood.   :knuppel2:

https://i.imgur.com/UbAkJBt.png

Update to this campaign:  At the age of 39 Waldon "The Hammer of Dalston Keep" Winefeld succumbed to his cancer.   :'(  However, his son Waldon II is proving to be a much stronger ruler so far.  Stay tuned for some tragic screenshots  <:-)

- MengJiao

Sir Slash

I'm with Devoncorp on WitE 1, the Gaming Dojo videos have sold me on the game and I'll wait on WitE 2 for another time. In the videos, the WitE 1 map looks great, just right to push Panzers all over the place. The XTG video of WitE 2 shows the map being the same as in WitW, which ain't bad but less detailed and looks kind of, 'washed-out' to me. I think that's a very fair comparison.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Destraex

Conquest Frontier Wars Demo on Steam - Chris Roberts 2001 space RTS - a unique game which I hope homeworld 3 takes some features from;
* Commanders that can board ships to create flagships
* Supply lines - ships must be resupplied and supply lines built
* Different sectors to jump to in the same skirmish
* Crew - a crew requirement element that stops people spamming ships and makes each ship a real asset. Crew requiring time to replenish.  If you lose ships too fast you may not be able to crew new ships even if you have enough resources to build them.
* The capturing and holding of planets.

Steel Division 2 - played a 10v10 game with a mate and we initially did well but got stomped by the Axis late game tiger IIs. Basically the enemy left a huge gap in their lines at the beginning. Two of our players pushed to the end of the map without resistance and say their consolidating instead of exploiting the gap to raid the enemy rear. This meant that two players were stacked where myself and my mate were on the far left flank to outnumber us by two (2 vs 4 players). We held for most of the game getting pushed back. With the numbers the enemy possessed to support their Konigstigres, we had no chance and eventually were pushed back to our last flag on the left. Players on both sides were quiting for the entire game for some odd reason.

Company of Heroes 2 with my son. He is really getting into coh2 with his buddies.

Command Modern Operations - I dabble in the tutorials every now and then hoping I will get time to build up to a proper campaign. But it's single player so even though I love the game and the concept. It's hard to get motivated and hard to find the time.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"