Steam Points. Do you use'em?

Started by steve58, April 25, 2021, 03:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

My Steam purchases have dropped somewhat the last couple years, but I've still managed to acquire over 12K worth of "Steam Points".  Items available for cashing in points look pretty gimmicky, maybe other than some backgrounds.  Anyone find a good use for these points or am I just going to end up with some pretty backgrounds in my Profile?
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

z1812

No. What they offer does not interest me a bit.

al_infierno

I used them to buy about 50 emoticons for Steam and I regularly use 1 or 2 of them.   :P
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Silent Disapproval Robot

I wish you could use them for discounts or sell them.  Got no use for digi forum glitter.

nelmsm

FarAway Sooner

Destraex

I got emoticons with them so I can occasionally message friends with those.
The interesting thing is that for emoticons, the game dev had to have created them and you are only allowed to use points to purchase them if you have had an hour or something in game. So you must own the game. Which is kinda cool. Some emoticons are really good and some very uncool.
I tend to go for fighters and knights helms and things like that. Holdfast had some really cool looking napoleonic troop busts. My complaint with emoticons is that when you buy them they look large, but when using them to chat they are tiny and thus a lot of the character and detail lost.

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Anguille

I only use them for backgrounds. Not sure what to do with the emoticons.

Geezer

Never have used them.  Don't know anything about them or how many I have saved.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

steve58

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 25, 2021, 06:52:40 PM
I wish you could use them for discounts or sell them.  Got no use for digi forum glitter.

Yeah, be nice if they'd give a discount. 
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

hellfish6

Don't use 'em. Ditto for trading cards. I'm not even sure what they are for.

Destraex

Quote from: Anguille on April 26, 2021, 08:31:51 AM
I only use them for backgrounds. Not sure what to do with the emoticons.
Emoticons are little icons you add to sentences when using steam chat. I might message a steam friend in steam chat and instead of manually using a colon and bracket to represent a smiley face 😀, I press the emoticon button and choose one of those I own.  \m/

Dammit Carl!

We're grown-ass men, and don't need no emoji-whosits to talk.   :bd:

Destraex

Another way to use steam points is to give peoples screenshots or posts awards. If I really like somebodies answer I will use steam points to give their post an award.

jamus34

I got a nice border for my profile pic box. Beyond that don't care about 'em

In all honesty your better off buying games off of humble or some of the other reseller sites. They will at least give you store bones credit for most purchases.
Insert witty comment here.