Main Menu

ALEA JACTA EST

Started by Bismarck, August 20, 2012, 09:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

LB even I knew that. Shameful display!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

That would be two "didn't know". 
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on August 21, 2012, 07:48:18 PM
LB even I knew that. Shameful display!

How rong you speak Engrish?!

Is "Shamefur Dispray"!!

LongBlade

Quote from: mikeck on August 21, 2012, 07:44:42 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on August 21, 2012, 07:40:33 PM
Speaking of jokes, can anyone translate that title for me?

I can't help but think it sounds dirty.

"The die is cast"

iGracias!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Keunert

LB some background info from a guy that once read a book:

Caesar was playing D-Day Dice with his mate Titus Labienus. After a bad roll Caesar tried to pick up the dices again, when his general's strong arm hold him back, saying: 'Alea jacta est, you lousy prick'

Caesar reacted this way:

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

undercovergeek

Quote from: Nefaro on August 21, 2012, 06:38:00 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on August 21, 2012, 04:58:51 PM
i can almost guarantee i have 'live' sex Bismark, what you do with dead/undead things is entirely up to you  :P

on a side note, i guess 2 guys have tried to have a bit of banter with you as part of the 'fun' atmosphere here - fine, you dont want to play, maybe just a polite moment of silence instead of a snarky comment about someone you dont know eh?  ::)

I thought Bizzies' comeback was pretty funny.

Chill out, it was a joke.  :(

fair dos - apologies

LongBlade

Quote from: Keunert on August 21, 2012, 11:39:12 PM
LB some background info from a guy that once read a book:

Caesar was playing D-Day Dice with his mate Titus Labienus. After a bad roll Caesar tried to pick up the dices again, when his general's strong arm hold him back, saying: 'Alea jacta est, you lousy prick'

Caesar reacted this way:

I am often amazed at how much appreciation and knowledge you Europeans have for history. My history books indicated that it was during a dull period during the siege of Alesia that Caesar was playing D&D. He had a first level wizard and cast magic missile. When he rolled a 1 for damage and asked the DM if he could roll again he was told alea jacta est.

Gusington

I thought that pic was Jarhead.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Keunert

^ lawyers dress more casual nowadays.
more like this:

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Gusington

I like the first one better.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

besilarius

LB, Julius was one of the luckiest generals in history.  His outrageous risks should have done him in many times.
Not to mention his habit of sleeping with every woman within reach.  (A known Groghead weakness.)
Some translations of Alea Iacta Est run to earthier translations of an inveterate gambler.  Mostly along the lines of "Throw the dice high."
Remember that on the eve of Pharsalus, the decisive battle of the war with Pompey, Julie spent the night visiting his soldiers around their campfires.
To settle their nerves he told dirty jokes about what they would do to Pompey.
As a visual aid, he carried a cucumber and illustrated the desired action using both hands.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

bob48

^Or, in the immortal words of Cpl Jones "They don't like it up 'em"
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

LongBlade

Quote from: besilarius on August 22, 2012, 05:50:32 PM
LB, Julius was one of the luckiest generals in history.  His outrageous risks should have done him in many times.
Not to mention his habit of sleeping with every woman within reach.  (A known Groghead weakness.)
Some translations of Alea Iacta Est run to earthier translations of an inveterate gambler.  Mostly along the lines of "Throw the dice high."
Remember that on the eve of Pharsalus, the decisive battle of the war with Pompey, Julie spent the night visiting his soldiers around their campfires.
To settle their nerves he told dirty jokes about what they would do to Pompey.
As a visual aid, he carried a cucumber and illustrated the desired action using both hands.

Great story. Never heard that :)

Bismarck

Good news. This game uses the old AGEOD engine, not the PoN one.
Jim Cobb

Nefaro

Quote from: Bismarck on August 23, 2012, 12:09:27 PM
Good news. This game uses the old AGEOD engine, not the PoN one.

Umm.. it's one and the same.

Although, as previously mentioned, it won't be covering the whole world and it's economy & colonization during the industrial revolution as PrON did.   ;)