The Dangerous Waters thread

Started by Toonces, June 22, 2021, 01:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

'sup Grogs.

Tripoli and I have been discussing an MP game of Dangerous Waters and I wanted to start a new DW thread so we can consolidate any discussion about the game here, rather than in an old Friday thread.

Right now it's $15 on Steam, although I suspect it will be significantly discounted during the Steam summer sale.

My install is currently vanilla, but I'm looking at a mod called Reinforce Alert 1.50 that looks pretty darn amazing.  Like in Cold Waters Epic Mod, RA brings a slew of new playable units and features to the game.  It also enables the ability to import missions from the gamut of Sonalysts games, including Fleet Command from what I understand.  I haven't tried this yet, but that's what I read.

I'm currently downloading the mod right now and will post up some impressions once I get it installed.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Tripoli

It looks like there is a rev. 2 for RA 1.5 (dated 16 May 21) located here: https://www.redrodgers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4912  I haven't given it a try yet.  From my quick read, you need to have a clean 1.04 version of DW installed. 
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Toonces

That's the one I just downloaded from the .ru site where he hosts it.  I haven't installed it yet.

I'm having trouble understanding how this works in MP with one person (you) playing the FFG and me playing the Akula.  In a 1v1 that would be fine, but for it to really be interesting there would need to be more of an ASW SAG and I don't see how you as the surface player can control the rest of the SAG.   I guess what I'm saying is that I don't see how the surface side can do any sort of coordinated ops unless the red side is just an AI sub and we both play blue cooperatively...or get a third player.

Harpoon might be more fun.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Tripoli

Quote from: Toonces on June 22, 2021, 01:54:43 PM
That's the one I just downloaded from the .ru site where he hosts it.  I haven't installed it yet.

I'm having trouble understanding how this works in MP with one person (you) playing the FFG and me playing the Akula.  In a 1v1 that would be fine, but for it to really be interesting there would need to be more of an ASW SAG and I don't see how you as the surface player can control the rest of the SAG.   I guess what I'm saying is that I don't see how the surface side can do any sort of coordinated ops unless the red side is just an AI sub and we both play blue cooperatively...or get a third player.

Harpoon might be more fun.

Yeah, an Akula v. single FFG-7 would be more of a SINKEX , with the USN as the target hulk.  For an Akula, it would have to be a sub v. sub.  I'm happy to do that. :)  We could try one game as 1 v. 1 and figure out how to do MP, then see if it would be possible to open it up to more players (1 sub v. a SAG, 3 sub death match, etc)

Tripoli

I think I have the RA mod working.  I'll put it through its paces, and we can set up a test MP game.

Toonces

I got RA working as well I think.  I just booted up a quick mission with a TU-142 vs. a NATO sub and it seemed to work ok.

If we go 1 v. 1 maybe a Bear/P-3 vs. sub would be a better scenario.  I can probably come up with a mission without too much trouble.  Let me keep working on it and I'll see what I can figure out.