Main Menu

Back in the water!

Started by MarkShot, August 23, 2012, 02:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

How are you hosting your images?

MarkShot

I own my own domain associated with my former business in the USA.  Although I dissolved the business, I continue to own/manage the domain.  So, I just upload them to my own Web server.

Bison

Clearly I need my own domain too.  It's good to be king!

Yeah I'm stuck trying to figure out the new photobucket interface.  It's a complete debacle.  Ok.  I'm done with dragging your patrol reports off topic.  Carry on Captain.

MarkShot

The reason a lot of my older images disappeared is that I had Comcast as my ISP for over 10 years.  So, I was using them to host.  But when I shut down my service ... poof.

In my new house, Chung Hwa Telcom, will be my ISP.  It comes with Web space, but I think I will continue to use my own domain.  We will currently have 20Mbps service, but that will change as they expand in the infrastructure.  Although we will be living in Taipei, City, there literally is a vegetable farm plot right next to our building.  So, it is an interesting mix of urban and rural as Taipei's sprawl spreads.  (Also, it is illegal here to sell farm land to be used for real estate development without special allowances by the government.)

Our new apartment is wired for 1Gb Lan segment with CAT5E.  I intend to use that for internal LAN only and create a second segment via WiFi to be used for the Internet.  As this is the best security architecture.

MarkShot

Sent you an email about domain ownership.

Bison

Thanks.  You should make friends with the farmer next door and get some fresh veggies.

MarkShot

Many people still shop for their produce at local indoor or outdoor markets within walking distance of their homes.

In the USA, "locally grown" by law means that it came from no more than 400 miles away (more than the length of Taiwan).  {As the Green Movement in the USA promotes local produce to reduce fossil fuel usage for shipping to market.}  In Taiwan, local market vegetables often came down from the mountain farms that morning.

MarkShot

Only got to patrol for 1hr RL.  Yes, we spent the whole afternoon shopping again!!!

Imagine buying everything you ever owned but the clothes on your back in just a week and a half.  Well, that is sort of what we are doing.  It's a shame we are not using a credit card and that credit cards aren't so widely used here.  We would be earning enough points for a free ticket back to the USA!  :)