Rule the Waves 3: Ironclads to Missile Cruisers

Started by Grim.Reaper, May 18, 2022, 06:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CJReich46

I liked RvT Wargames his tutorials were pretty clear and he is very clear and to the point of what he presents. I'd recommend him and I will probably watch his vids if or when I get RTW3.  :azn:
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

devoncop

Cheers CJ.

As a matter of interest did you find the air war when aircraft start arriving manageable in RTW2 or does it get a bit frenetic ?
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

CJReich46

Quote from: devoncop on May 09, 2023, 11:39:03 AMCheers CJ.

As a matter of interest did you find the air war when aircraft start arriving manageable in RTW2 or does it get a bit frenetic ?

Sadly I never got RTW2. I was holding off because of the NWS-DRM, and then of course Christopher Dean's passing and the complications from that. This of course is no disrespect to NWS or Dean at all, it was just there was a lot of fallout to deal with, and then the announcement of Rule the Waves 3, and so I decided to wait and see until release. I have Ultimate Admirals Dreadnoughts to tie me over if I want shiny stuff (like graphics)

I'm not sure how the price tag is going to be but if I was to guess I'd say 39.99 or 29.99 (low end).

devoncop

Quote from: CJReich46 on May 09, 2023, 03:12:36 PM
Quote from: devoncop on May 09, 2023, 11:39:03 AMCheers CJ.

Sadly I never got RTW2. I was holding off because of the NWS-DRM, and then of course Christopher Dean's passing and the complications from that. Then the news about RTW3 so I held off.

Ah OK.

Just discovering the series so missed all the DRM controversy.

Thankfully Steam solves that issue.

bobarossa

Quote from: CJReich46 on May 09, 2023, 03:12:36 PMSadly I never got RTW2. I was holding off because of the NWS-DRM, and then of course Christopher Dean's passing and the complications from that. Then the news about RTW3 so I held off.
I could have written this pretty much word for word.  Looking forward to RTW3.  Enjoyed original a lot.

Rayfer

Never played a game in this series but like others have been following this thread with interest. Saw a criticism on a different site complaining there is no auto-resolve of tactical battles. Question for those who played the earlier versions...was this an issue??

Groggy

Quote from: Rayfer on May 09, 2023, 04:28:22 PMNever played a game in this series but like others have been following this thread with interest. Saw a criticism on a different site complaining there is no auto-resolve of tactical battles. Question for those who played the earlier versions...was this an issue??

There is a combat resolution simulator mod that tortugapower created a few years back for both RtW and RtW2. I never got around to trying out the mod, but apparently the intention of the mod is to alleviate having to fight the smaller engagements while also respecting Fredrik's vision of the game not being played with auto resolve battles.
''War is the unfolding of miscalculations.''-Barbara Tuchman

CJReich46

Rule the Waves 3 is out NOW!

39.99 on both Matrix and Steam!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Groggy on May 09, 2023, 10:01:31 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on May 09, 2023, 04:28:22 PMNever played a game in this series but like others have been following this thread with interest. Saw a criticism on a different site complaining there is no auto-resolve of tactical battles. Question for those who played the earlier versions...was this an issue??

There is a combat resolution simulator mod that tortugapower created a few years back for both RtW and RtW2. I never got around to trying out the mod, but apparently the intention of the mod is to alleviate having to fight the smaller engagements while also respecting Fredrik's vision of the game not being played with auto resolve battles.

You can auto-resolve battles in RTW3 organically. No mod necessary.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

devoncop

£33.99 in the UK.

Bought and downloaded and will give creaking old Austria Hungary a run out this evening (as I like a challenge).

This will be my first try at a RTW game but I have been devouring as much You Tube content as I can so should be able to jump in and get my arse handed to me straight away. :HideEyes:

devoncop

Just fired the game up for an 1890 start where (unlike the 1900 start) you don't get the option to design your starting fleet.

Jeez.

4 Austro Hungarian starting battleships of the Kaiser class. All with narrow belt 14inch armour and moving slightly slower than an arthritic tortoise.

Guess blitzkrieg will have to wait a while....

JasonPratt

Those are for pulling up next to shore targets and sitzkrieging!

Edited to add: hey, 30 reviews already!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

devoncop

Good point Jason ! :ThumbsUp:

Up to 1893 before having to stop for the day and imho this is a fine game.

Apart from a few too many incompetent Captains as a result of years of interbreeding in the aristocracy Austria is about to enter its first war with Italy with a little more confidence

bobarossa

Loved this comment from Steam reviews: "Let me put it this way: If Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts was Stellaris, this game would be Aurora 4X."

Will probably buy tomorrow.

Groggy

Quote from: bobarossa on May 18, 2023, 09:04:40 PMLoved this comment from Steam reviews: "Let me put it this way: If Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts was Stellaris, this game would be Aurora 4X."

Will probably buy tomorrow.

This review also got me:

"This game is what Victoria 3 was supposed to be."
''War is the unfolding of miscalculations.''-Barbara Tuchman