Scourge of War series going away Sept 1st

Started by JasonPratt, August 24, 2022, 01:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripoli

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 26, 2022, 12:32:18 PM
Saw this posted by one of the Matrix staff, although was already thought this way, pretty much confirmed no plans for Norbsoft to sell and support in any other way.

The developer is not planning to continue selling the games or supporting them.
Damn.  Having the series expanded was always one of my hopes. Well, there is now an unserved niche that some enterprising developer could fill: A regimental sized USCW game with HITS and order delay.  I'm truly sorry to see Norbsoft get out of the market.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

JasonPratt

That wording (which I also reported before) is suspicious to me: he isn't going to continue selling or supporting THESE games.

That could still mean plans to develop a modern update. Wishful thinking no doubt.

Re mods, I'll be check with Asid at the Dogs of War, see what he knows.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Quote from: Tripoli on August 26, 2022, 11:18:47 AM
Minor Correction: I believe Antietam is a DLC to Gettysburg.  Not that it matters.

Verified, yep! Good catch. It's a much larger expansion than the other two (which are related to the Getty battle), and I knew Chance was standalone -- my brain apparently conflated the correlation.  ::)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Sigwolf

The whole thing is odd to me.  I fully understand announcing the end of support for the games, they are quite old.  What makes no sense is announcing they will no longer be available to buy, and in a very short time-frame, at that.  There are hundreds of older, completely unsupported games for sale on any storefront you care to look.  If you don't care about making any further money from them, release them for free (which is also not unprecedented with older games). 

It makes no sense to announce that two weeks from now you will not be able to acquire these games in any way.  What's the logic in that?

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Sigwolf on August 27, 2022, 07:22:10 AM
The whole thing is odd to me.  I fully understand announcing the end of support for the games, they are quite old.  What makes no sense is announcing they will no longer be available to buy, and in a very short time-frame, at that.  There are hundreds of older, completely unsupported games for sale on any storefront you care to look.  If you don't care about making any further money from them, release them for free (which is also not unprecedented with older games). 

It makes no sense to announce that two weeks from now you will not be able to acquire these games in any way.  What's the logic in that?

I am guessing the games will have an after-life somewhere. But Norbsoft is probably taking its time to get there.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Skoop

You also got to ask yourself, if you haven't bought and played the scourge series or picked up these extra dlc until now, why bother ?  Is it fomo ?  And now some of you are gona spend 70bucks because it's going away ?  I'd make a suggestion that I bet this will turn up as free abandonware in a few years where a modding community continues on with the game.  Just kinda seems like a cash grab to me.  It really should be free to play if it's end of life for scourge.

Destraex

Quote from: Sigwolf on August 27, 2022, 07:22:10 AM

Really, really, good points. The only thing they should need to do is provide Caveat Emptor for the purchaser when it comes to support and OS compatibility.
If the publisher simply lost the rights to sell the game I could understand, but that is doubtful. What is dissappointing is that they never released the whole series on steam. I was waiting for that to happen.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

JasonPratt

Yeah -- I don't think even SoW :Waterloo has a workshop on Steam.... {checking} nope.

Mental note again to check with the Dogs on current mods for SoW games.

Edited to add: also checked with TC2, also no workshop. (Though I know there are mods for that, including something like a civil war campaign which features 1st Bull Run on which TC1 was based.)

berto

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

JasonPratt

QuoteThe games will no longer be for sale for the 'hopefully' short term. NSD has parted ways with Slitherine and thanks them for the many years of support.

Our suspicions have been confirmed! -- Norb is just parting ways with Matrix-litherine to work on a new version!  :notworthy:

Admittedly, this is only a statement of intention. But still, he must have had a strong enough intention to opt out of publication with Matrix.

Tripoli

Scourge of War: Gettysburg is on sale now for 50% off ($26.40).  If you were thinking about taking the plunge, now is not a bad time.
https://www.matrixgames.com/game/scourge-of-war-gettysburg-150th-anniversary-collection
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

The_Admiral

JasonPratt

...less than 48 hours after I said to myself, "Dangit, why not just take the overall 10% off summer sale and pick up Brandy Station and whatever the other DLC is, Pipe Creek...?"

Ah well. A little more cash presumably to Norb before he and Matrix split the sheets. I can't really grudge it.

Bardolph

Waterloo collection also on sale, down to $39.99. All the individual items seem to be on a deeper sale now as well.

Sigwolf

Quote from: Tripoli on August 28, 2022, 09:18:09 PM
Scourge of War: Gettysburg is on sale now for 50% off ($26.40).  If you were thinking about taking the plunge, now is not a bad time.
https://www.matrixgames.com/game/scourge-of-war-gettysburg-150th-anniversary-collection
Actually 67% off.  After mulling it all week at the $71 sale price, I decided to wait it out and see what and when it would go for when Norb re-released it.  At $26, it seemed worth getting now.  I've been revisiting, and enjoying Waterloo all week, so this seemed a fair price in the event it truly is not available again in the future.