PC Game Review: Panzer Corps Grand Campaign '45 East

Started by The Wargamer, September 23, 2012, 05:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: junk2drive on September 24, 2012, 08:30:18 PM
Someone posted over there about Matrix owning Wargamer.

As far as I remember, they guy that started WG had some problems. David Heath helped him out by letting him use the Matrix servers and feed him some money with the Ads. Matrix never owned the site.

Recently, like the last couple of years, the site changed hands a time or two and the site was no longer using Matrix servers. However my experience is that if Matrix is down, so is WG.

Matrix owned wargamer.  Now the company that owns matrix, also owns wargamer.  This is no secret, nor has it ever been, and I do not see a problem with it, so long as the wargamer remains independent in terms of management.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

LongBlade

Quote from: junk2drive on September 24, 2012, 08:30:18 PM
Someone posted over there about Matrix owning Wargamer.

As far as I remember, they guy that started WG had some problems. David Heath helped him out by letting him use the Matrix servers and feed him some money with the Ads. Matrix never owned the site.

Recently, like the last couple of years, the site changed hands a time or two and the site was no longer using Matrix servers. However my experience is that if Matrix is down, so is WG.

It was literally true that "Matrix" never owned Wargamer. David Heath, and a couple of investors, owned Wargamer. David also owned a majority share of Matrix. I worked for a long time at Wargamer with the clear understanding that I had 100% control over the editorial content and never had a problem.

Slitherine now owns Matrix and with that deal came Wargamer. Shortly after the acquisition I quit working at Wargamer over professional and ethical differences with Slitherine management.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

junk2drive

LongBlade

Quote from: junk2drive on September 24, 2012, 10:26:29 PM
Thanks for clearing that up. Sorta.

LMK if something isn't clear. I'll do my best to help.

junk2drive

So does Slith/Matrix own a majority interest in WG? Or all or nothing?

Side note, does David own any of it anymore?

MikeGER

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 24, 2012, 04:56:00 PM

Can't we all just share?

of course ! :)

Judge, you (and i) are just wargamers talking about our wide field of hobbies ...you don't want to sell B-17-paint or bikes (i don't sell action-cams or old Landcruisers) its all about fun and games and the hobbies and to get to know each other a little bit in the community.
Let's say: the face behind the strategy  ...if you happen to game with someone online or PBEM or even run into at a games trade fair in RL.
You brought me into TAL and boardgaming again for example and that's just great! I owe you :)

...if the editor in chief of The Wargamer would join here as just another wargaming fellow (with a nick) and point out an interesting topic in another forum (even the one he steamed with flank speed into an iceberg  ...and most passengers had to evacuate to GrogHeads) that would be great!

but just another bad PR-idea on the job ...to get some traffic to the front page is a no-go
like spamming his own forum with links to the front page-articles and news every given day, cloaking the good last-24h-activity-screen function with stuff you just happened to read.
even mild critical annotations over-there are not wanted, the forum-software still doesn't work as advertised, trolls and their sock-puppets roam free, long time moderators resign because they didn't get fire-support when they do the job they volunteered for... and the guy runnig the show has developed IMHO community-managing-skills like a blend of the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld and an Interrogation robot from the Death Star's arsenal...
The over-all experience, the vibes are gone... and that's a pity!  and still makes me upset sometimes when i have to witness the next Fail.             

-end of rant-  :-X

JudgeDredd

You owe me nothing MikeGer - TaL was bought with your hard earned(?) :P cash not mine (I hope you are still enjoying it by the way - as the rules bed in, I'm getting more and more into it)

I can see from a webmasters pov. I just don't think it's anything us minions have to be involved in...just let the mods/web site owners sort it. If they want to ban the account or stop future posts like it, then more power to them - it's their show.

But us lot getting involved just causes bad feeling - and as I frequent all 3 sites, I'd rather we all lived and loved :)

Anyway - I've got to go fight some crime (get to work!)  :P
Alba gu' brath

LongBlade

Quote from: junk2drive on September 24, 2012, 10:44:06 PM
So does Slith/Matrix own a majority interest in WG? Or all or nothing?

Side note, does David own any of it anymore?

I was not privy to the exact details of the deal, but in general it is correct to view them as Slitherine having purchased Matrix.

When I was there, JD was my boss and David had zero control/influence over Wargamer. When the merger took place both companies took great pains to emphasize that nothing would change immediately, and of course it didn't. It couldn't - these things take time for new ownership to learn the ins and outs. Make no mistake: Slitherine calls the shots. Any changes over the last two years - for better and worse - have been directed by them.

JudgeDredd

I may have been your boss Longblade - but I did try to give you free reign!  :P
Alba gu' brath

LongBlade

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 25, 2012, 07:07:31 AM
I may have been your boss Longblade - but I did try to give you free reign!  :P

Thanks!

I'm most impressed with your new line of minis: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1990654819/judge-dredd-miniatures-game-block-war

And the movie you have in the works: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1343727/

sandman2575

Quote from: LongBlade on September 24, 2012, 10:19:29 PM

Slitherine now owns Matrix and with that deal came Wargamer. Shortly after the acquisition I quit working at Wargamer over professional and ethical differences with Slitherine management.

Thanks for clearing this up.  The fact that you and many of the original Wargamer faithful have migrated away from the site really gives me pause about the new management.  Obviously I don't know the details... but it sure doesn't seem to speak well of the new regime that it could alienate what were the site's most dedicated contributors like this.....

JudgeDredd

I've actually not given my seal of approval for the movie yet :)
Alba gu' brath

LongBlade

Quote from: sandman2575 on September 25, 2012, 07:50:00 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on September 24, 2012, 10:19:29 PM

Thanks for clearing this up.  The fact that you and many of the original Wargamer faithful have migrated away from the site really gives me pause about the new management.  Obviously I don't know the details... but it sure doesn't seem to speak well of the new regime that it could alienate what were the site's most dedicated contributors like this.....

I have no idea how they run things these days. They may have learned from their mistakes.

My focus is on building a gaming community here. We're trying to create a safe, fun environment where folks can enjoy each others' company, chat about games, BS about other stuff, and read reviews and stuff on the front page. I spend zero time worrying about what other sites are doing these days. But the question came up, and I've answered it.

junk2drive

I just had an LOL moment when I realised that we are on page 3 of comments without any of them being about the review in the OP.

Steelgrave