The Admissions of a Gaming Addict

Started by PanzersEast, October 29, 2012, 12:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PanzersEast

So it goes something like this....So many games I need to make a list to play through some of them, lets see.....  What look, Alea Jacta Est... has Roman era military, insta purchase.....  X-Com, remake of a great game, need game, purchase..... Chivalry comes out, looks good and good reviews, fight... fight..... reluctantly purchase.  Oooh look Fallen Enchantress is released but probably needs time after the other mess..... good videos, reviews, gameplay....... will falters,  purchase.  A game of Dwarves, impulse purchase...... Mark of the Ninja, yea ditto.  Delete purchase emails, all evidence from wife (has become very good at from experience)....... ahh, ok no more purchases this year...... looking through Grogheads forum, ooohhhh  Euro Truck Sim 2........ arrgghhhh

In the end, play Dwarf Fortress  :o

PE

Martok

In at least one way, I'm glad I'm poor.  It forces me to (generally) only purchase the games I'm for sure interested in investing the necessary time. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

steve58

Quote from: PanzersEast on October 29, 2012, 12:30:17 PM
So it goes something like this....So many games I need to make a list to play through some of them, lets see.....  What look, Alea Jacta Est... has Roman era military, insta purchase.....  X-Com, remake of a great game, need game, purchase..... Chivalry comes out, looks good and good reviews, fight... fight..... reluctantly purchase.  Oooh look Fallen Enchantress is released but probably needs time after the other mess..... good videos, reviews, gameplay....... will falters,  purchase.  A game of Dwarves, impulse purchase...... Mark of the Ninja, yea ditto.  Delete purchase emails, all evidence from wife (has become very good at from experience)....... ahh, ok no more purchases this year...... looking through Grogheads forum, ooohhhh  Euro Truck Sim 2........ arrgghhhh

PE

PE, you are not alone!  It all sounds very familiar (except maybe for the EuroTrucker part)!  Unfortunately I'm now also finding myself buying into future games (M.O.R.E and Star Citizen).  Figured I'd never be able to explain that to the wife, so I didn't  :-[
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

If you're having a good time, just take a deep breath, relax and enjoy.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

PanzersEast

I honestly have the money (could be viewed as wasting money), but I have a formula for how much I get out of games, a 1 to 1 system.  1hr = 1$ spent, so I should get 25 hrs out of a $25 game at minimal, anything over is bonus.  I normally have a cap of $25 max to spend on a single game, but occasionally I break that rule.

In the end it is funny, I just role with it and if it does not get played, well it gets uninstalled.

PE

PanzersEast

Windigo

Quote from: PanzersEast on October 29, 2012, 12:50:27 PM
I honestly have the money (could be viewed as wasting money), but I have a formula for how much I get out of games, a 1 to 1 system.  1hr = 1$ spent, so I should get 25 hrs out of a $25 game at minimal, anything over is bonus.  I normally have a cap of $25 max to spend on a single game, but occasionally I break that rule.

In the end it is funny, I just role with it and if it does not get played, well it gets uninstalled.

PE

If its cost per gaming hour.. I think I am at  $0.03/hour right now with Warlock
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

PanzersEast

Quote from: Windigo on October 29, 2012, 12:52:16 PM
If its cost per gaming hour.. I think I am at  $0.03/hour right now with Warlock

I would defiantly say you got your money's worth!

PE

MetalDog

I'm with Martok.  Being broke has its advantages. 
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Sir Slash

Have you ever seen a great game advertised, and then when you check it out, you've already played it. Sometimes I try to remember how a game ended(especially RPG's) and can't, except for Planescape Torment, mostly I can only partially recall how most ended and sometimes only a little of what I thought was so great to begin with. That's when I feel shortchanged.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MarkShot

I think my rate of return an games played/purchased may be ahead of most of you. But nobody wants to make threads about people like me. Since consumers like me cause recessions!

TheCommandTent

This is what STEAM sales are for. If you can resist the initial urge to buy a new game along with the peer pressure around here and wait for a good sale, you not only get a good deal you get a fully patched up game :)
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Bison

Quote from: TheCommandTent on October 31, 2012, 07:56:48 PM
This is what STEAM sales are for. If you can resist the initial urge to buy a new game along with the peer pressure around here and wait for a good sale, you not only get a good deal you get a fully patched up game :)

You bought L4D2 of your own free will!

republic

I echo Martok and MetalDog.  Usually by the time I've saved up enough mad money to buy a game, the hype is gone and all the little nitpicks have been aired.  I've been able to keep from buying a lot of games that, had I had the money, would have been instant buys and later regrets.

MengJiao

Quote from: PanzersEast on October 29, 2012, 12:30:17 PM

PE

I try to curb myself.  Two things seem to help: expensive games and games I buy and don't play much.  The wife doesn't care much.  Last night she came into the game loft and observed Crecy (earliest use known of gunpowder artillery!).  Boardgames take up space, but I can store them in the barn.  so there is nothing to stop me but a desire to actually play what I buy.  Fortunately, learning the rules and setting up scenarions and so on takes a fixed amount of time so there must be a limit to my buy-rate.