Main Menu

CK II-The Republic

Started by tgb, January 14, 2013, 06:22:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Well Steam doesn't want you to have it yet anyway.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Bison on January 14, 2013, 08:06:02 PM
Well Steam doesn't want you to have it yet anyway.

I didn't see the DLC yet but some CKII update downloaded when I logged on to STEAM tonight.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Gusington

^Yeah for me too. This is going to finally be the DLC that gets me started in actually playing :) Should I have a 'tutorial' campaign' first before trying one of the merchant houses you think?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Gusington on January 14, 2013, 09:01:00 PM
^Yeah for me too. This is going to finally be the DLC that gets me started in actually playing :) Should I have a 'tutorial' campaign' first before trying one of the merchant houses you think?

Probably unless you are just playing with the intent of being merchant house.  From what I hear they are going to play very differently.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Kushan

Still not out on Steam......
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Toonces

Where is this place you guys are talking about.  I'm not familiar with it.  The Hanseatic League I'm talking about.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Nefaro

Quote from: Toonces on January 15, 2013, 12:30:25 AM
Where is this place you guys are talking about.  I'm not familiar with it.  The Hanseatic League I'm talking about.

Some northern european cities around the Baltic.  They became "merchant" republics in the early renaissance/late medieval period and busted out of the old feudal system, growing their prosperity via trade.  One big flip was having an electoral system, of sorts, for appointing their leader(s).

MetalDog

Quote from: Nefaro on January 15, 2013, 03:49:39 AM

Some northern european cities around the Baltic.  They became "merchant" republics in the early renaissance/late medieval period and busted out of the old feudal system, growing their prosperity via trade.  One big flip was having an electoral system, of sorts, for appointing their leader(s).

Was it more than just some cities in northern Germany?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

tgb

The Hanse is not a playable house unless you choose 1377 as a starting date.

Gusington

The Hanse was centered in those northern German cities and spread around the Baltic to the neighboring areas, like Scandinavia and "the Russias."

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

TheCommandTent

I have no real desire to play any of the merchant houses but I know I'll still end up buying this DLC.

Yskonyn

Quote from: Gusington on January 14, 2013, 09:01:00 PM

I found these tutorial videos very helpful, Gus.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL158344868202D6B3
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

PanzersEast

Going to pick this one up..... have not gone through the other two as my current game is lasting forever, but this looks interesting.  I skipped Sunset Invasion because, well it just looked stupid.

PE

son_of_montfort

Quote from: MetalDog on January 15, 2013, 06:07:10 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 15, 2013, 03:49:39 AM

Was it more than just some cities in northern Germany?

The Hanseatic League started in Lubeck, with the foundation of their merchant guild. Merchant guilds were organizations that served dual purposes - in order to be a retailer in town you had to be a member and most cities required anyone wanting to hold civic office to be a member of the guild. So they were political and economic organization. The guild in Lubeck, in the 12th and 13th centuries, managed to get the support from local nobility to enhance their privileges (like tariff free trading and building trade posts in other nearby cities). Several other towns nearby made a loose association with Lubeck's guild - mostly for the purposes of promoting safer trade through common traditions and legal practices (i.e. measure against piracy). The word Hansa means "trade guild," so the affiliation became a league of guilds in numerous cities in the Baltic and North seas. Over time, they purchased rights to trade posts in places like London and Novograd, making a fortune selling wool, textiles, and furs.

The reason you cannot play them until the 1300s is that they did not become an official governing body, free from feudal lords and with their own military forces, until then. For about a century the league governed and had legal force in its client cities. Eventually, however, consolidating monarchs would disapprove of having Hansa cities in their kingdoms and broke the Hansa's power.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Martok

Have I mentioned lately how much I love having a medieval historian as one of our members?  ;D 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces