Main Menu

"STEAM Guides"

Started by TheCommandTent, January 19, 2013, 08:38:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

Saw this new feature pop up on STEAM the other day.  Looks like it could be helpful especially for some of the more involved games.

QuoteSteam Guides are player-created references for games and software, created by fellow members of the Steam Community. Whether you're stuck on a certain puzzle or looking to find all the hidden secrets in a level, there's probably a guide to help you through. And if there isn't, try your own hand at creating one to help others.

http://steamcommunity.com/guides

It looks like right now anyone can create and upload a guide to STEAM. 
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

bbmike

Thanks for pointing this out! Sounds like a great idea and I'm glad Steam added this.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Greybriar

That's a great idea. It looks like they formalized what gaming communities provide their members, making the information more readily accessible.

Thanks for sharing the info.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

LongBlade

I saw those. Generally speaking I don't use guides. It's not a bad idea, though.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

FarAway Sooner

Any time you can use user-generated content to add value to your game or your service, it's a win.  I was thankful that the guides are available to all Steam subscribers, rather than just to Steam users who own the game.  The latter would have been a bold marketing move, but would have left out anybody who didn't buy their game via Steam. 

This looks like more of an investment in Gaming communities than it does in Steam, which moves them up a notch in my estimation.

Ubercat

Quote from: LongBlade on January 19, 2013, 11:34:11 AM
I saw those. Generally speaking I don't use guides. It's not a bad idea, though.

I imagine that the guides are going to be more than just walk throughs. Many games have obscure facets that aren't well explained in their manuals. It can be very useful to know that shift clicking abc lets you xyz.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Nefaro

Quote from: Ubercat on January 19, 2013, 05:23:11 PM

I imagine that the guides are going to be more than just walk throughs. Many games have obscure facets that aren't well explained in their manuals. It can be very useful to know that shift clicking abc lets you xyz.

Not just that, but there are usually "Beginner Guides" to help ease people into more complicated games with big learning curves and they are pretty popular.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Nefaro on January 19, 2013, 06:18:26 PM
Quote from: Ubercat on January 19, 2013, 05:23:11 PM

Not just that, but there are usually "Beginner Guides" to help ease people into more complicated games with big learning curves and they are pretty popular.

That will be very helpful especially to draw the "mainstream" gamers into games like CKII and the like.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."