Your Indispensable WWII Game

Started by Gusington, March 05, 2013, 07:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I have not played a modern WWII based game on the PC. But I want to soon. What is your indispensable WWII game? Can be sim, tactical, operational, FPS, etc. Any front or theater.

Personally I've been looking at Iron Front myself, and I've got Battlestations Pacific ready to go.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Kushan

The original Company of Heroes with the Battle of the Bulge mod.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

TheCommandTent

What exactly do you mean by modern?  Made after a certain date?  Certain level of graphics? etc.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

sandman2575

The 2 WWII games I'd take with me to the proverbial desert island are Achtung Panzer: Op. Star (w/ all expansions) and the Decisive Campaigns games (...ok that's technically 3 games, but whatevs...). 

Company of Heroes remains one of the most fun games in any genre I've ever played.  It wouldn't come to the desert island only because I've played it to death and then some.

eyebiter

mikeck

Do they even make WW2 games for the PC? I haven't been able to find any.

Seriously though, Decisive Campaigns for me.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Gusington

By 'modern' I mean after ~2000. Company of Heroes, eh? Nice. I have the anthology here. Operation Star I have been lusting after for a long time. Is there a gold package for it?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Any of the WWII Combat Mission Titles.  Followed by Hearts of Iron II
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Steelgrave

I don't know about "indispensable", but I really like Conflict of Heroes, Commander:Europe at War and Unity of Command.

Staggerwing

Quote from: ArizonaTank on March 05, 2013, 09:47:15 PM
Any of the WWII Combat Mission Titles.  Followed by Hearts of Iron II

+1 on the Combat Mission titles, primarily the CMX1's, since I'm still having trouble getting my head around the CMX2 engine. I so wish they had made a Cold War Hot version set in the late 70's early 80's.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Sparhawk

I really enjoy HOI 2- Arsenal of Democracy. Goodness I can get bogged down on the Eastern Front if I'm not careful.

Toonces

WiTP:AE. 

'nuff said.  You can close this thread now.   :-*
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Bison's WW2 fav's:

Combat Mission Battle for Normandy
Combat Mission Fortress Italy
Conflict of Heroes
Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge
Battle Academy

And unlike Toonces' suggestion, all of the games I listed can be finished in a single lifetime.  :P

Gusington

I forgot about Conflict of Heroes...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd