Your Indispensable WWII Game

Started by Gusington, March 05, 2013, 07:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

Silent Hunter IV with the Trigger Maru mod.

Iron Front: 1944 but only for online co-op.  The single player experience is poor.

IL-2:1946 for online PvP although it's pretty long in the tooth now.

Bison

Man I forgot about Silent Hunter 5.  I loves it too.

sandman2575

Quote from: Gusington on March 05, 2013, 09:26:29 PM
By 'modern' I mean after ~2000. Company of Heroes, eh? Nice. I have the anthology here. Operation Star I have been lusting after for a long time. Is there a gold package for it?

A gold version for Op. Star sure would be nice, but I wouldn't hold my breath.  For as great as the game is (and for my money it's the best platoon/company level tac. ww2 game out there -- ahead of Combat Mission and miles ahead of Theatre of War), it's a pain in the ass to install, patch, and update w/ the add-ons.  Graviteam seems uninterested in improving this -- or in making the game moddable (the serious lack of mod content is another strike, and not a negligible one imo).

jomni

World of tanks. LOL!

Disclaimer: I disposed of it a long time ago.

I don't have the Combat Mission x2 engine ww2 titles but my vote goes that way.

Sir Slash

CMFI- Combat Mission Fortress Indispensible. Along with CMBN when I'm in a Hedgerow Hunting mood. Silent Hunter's damned good but not --indispensible.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Greybriar

By 'modern' I mean after ~2000....

I suggest:

Strategic Command: European Theater (2002) - It's an updated Clash of Steel: World War II, Europe 1939-45 (1993).

Company of Heroes (2006)

Panzer Corps (2011) - As you probably know it is a remake of Panzer General (1994).

Then there's Hearts of Iron III (2009) and--as others have mentioned--World of Tanks (2011) which you might like.

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Bison

Quote from: Gusington on March 05, 2013, 10:26:49 PM
I forgot about Conflict of Heroes...

You are forgiven.  Although I do remember it garnering some awards from some wargaming site on the intrawebs....now if I could only remember the site....

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Yskonyn

Hidden and Dangerous (both were great)

Commandos

Combat MIssion series
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

By 'modern' I mean after ~2000. Company of Heroes, eh? Nice. I have the anthology here. Operation Star I have been lusting after for a long time. Is there a gold package for it?

That was on sale at Gamersgate, all last week.   For like $7.50.

spelk

Decisive Campaigns. Both.
Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge.
Maybe all of Joni Nuutinen's games and Small General: Eastern Front (basically a mini-version of Decisive Campaigns) on the Android.

Father Ted

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on March 05, 2013, 10:39:56 PM

Iron Front: 1944 but only for online co-op.  The single player experience is poor.

If we're talking online FPS, then Darkest Hour

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on March 05, 2013, 10:39:56 PMIL-2:1946 for online PvP although it's pretty long in the tooth now.

I like the lateral thinking here!  And I must heartily concur.

Otherwise Combat Mission (CMx1 and CMx2) and Command Ops

Shelldrake

For me it is Company of Heroes with the latest Blitzkrieg mod and map pack. Wicked AI and outstanding graphics along with a greatly enhanced tech tree. I often play this co-op against the AI with 2 or 3 friends. COH may be long in the tooth but IMO it has yet to be surpassed.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Zulu1966

Definitely, Definitely the Combat Mission Games.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

jjdenver

There are a lot of those.

Commander Europe at War with GS 2.1 mod
All of the SSG WW2 titles
HPS PzC titles
and I'm not sure it's indispensable but I always enjoy Hearts of Iron 2. I still need to find a mod with a good AI that can invade europe as allies and handle the pacific war well.