Your Favorite Faction When Playing Crusader Kings II

Started by Gusington, April 18, 2013, 10:08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Finally looking to start my first CK II campaign, maybe as Venice, maybe as a Hanseatic power, maybe as a Muslim power...not sure yet. What are your favorite factions to play as? Thanks all!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

oooooooooooooo, if only it was that easy!

its a chicken and the egg decision at the start - do you choose a faction and then your goals, or your goals and a faction to fit them?

Do you want to be King and rule from the top and manage the intricacies of state politics, vassals and dukes, and choose a lofty goal like the unification of Italy/Spain/Germany

or start as a count and see where it takes you - work up to be that King and then revisit your goals - but starting down here youll find your own rivals that may make your path deviate from the noble quest to Kingship to eradicating the filthy XXXXXXXs for stealing your land/wife/child

Barthheart

UCG explained it well.

For me if I'm feeling Kingly I try to unify Spain.... after killing all my siblings....  8)

For a count challenge I try to unify Ireland and become the Irish King then challenge England.  :o

Gusington

How about if I want to be a medieval captain of industry?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

Anyone play as a merchant republic yet? I wonder if they are more or less difficult than the average faction.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Kushan

Quote from: Gusington on April 18, 2013, 01:07:51 PM
Anyone play as a merchant republic yet? I wonder if they are more or less difficult than the average faction.

I've played a fair amount as Genoa and Venice. They start off really slow, due to low income. I found myself playing on the 3rd and 4th speed settings for a years, until I was able to afford to build trade posts and improvements. Once you get a few trade posts built and upgraded, and some improvements to your house, you'll be ok. If you start as a doge or get elected as one, its not so bad since you get tax income from all of your republics provinces. The thing I didn't like was that all males in your family get a portion of your income, and if your not constantly expanding, they will make a noticeable difference in your income per month after a few generations. There's been a few patches since they last time I've played however, so they might have tweaked things.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

TheCommandTent

The Irish are a good place to start as you are learning the game as there are some great tutorial videos out there using them as an example.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Gusington

Thanks Kushan. Irish eh? That would definitely be fun too. How many friggin' factions are there to choose from? I fear my mind may melt in trying to decide. Are there playable Mongol factions?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Gusington

Hard to resist after a long day at the office wishing I could turn everyone into a pyramid of skulls, you know?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Longdan

Not everyone.  Only my clients.  A pyramid of Arrogant Imbecile Pilot skulls!   ARRRggghhh!
digni enim sunt interdicunt

MetalDog

Ireland is supposedly, "Newb Island."  It's where a lot of people cut their teeth.  If it was me, I would suggest starting there to get the basics down and a feel for how things go, and then jump out into the greater world.  I would also start as a Count.  You learn all the little nuances to gaining as much as you can with the little available to you.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess the nuances were too subtle for a knucklehead like me.  I just seemed to spend the bulk of my time hiring tutors and waiting for my incompetent lackey to generate a cassus belli for me. 

Gusington

^Since EUI I have been trying to learn similar Paradox games and just never get it. I am hoping for better results this time.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd