Wargame: AirLand Battle

Started by Jarhead0331, April 24, 2013, 08:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Thanks for the rundown Rooks! 

Sounds like it's shaping up nicely.  I think I'll wait until after release to see what's going on. 

The new TW-style singleplayer campaign would definitely sell me on it but I also have reservations about how finished it is.  I'm afraid that could end up being another full-priced sequel next year instead of making it into this one (in which case, I'd probably wait).

Tinkershuffle

Quote from: RooksBailey on May 10, 2013, 10:57:55 PM
The only area of the game that I am a bit disappointed in is the infantry - it is heavily abstracted.  I was hoping for infantry along the lines of what you find in Achtung Panzer or Theater of War, but instead it is little different than the infantry you found in World in Conflict.  We've been talking about this on the forum and the consensus seems to be that the infantry is being handled like just another vehicle; they don't feel different from, say, a tank.  They fight fast and and die quickly.   Hopefully this is just a limitation of the beta.

I'm afraid it's not because that's exactly the same way how the infantry worked in Wargame: European Escalation. But I think that's a minor problem, the overall impression about the great is really great in my opinion. I've played a few 10v10 matches so far and I was skeptic at first that it would be a huge cluster**** but in fact it's not. The  frontlines are clearly distinguishable and the immersion of a huge battlefield is there.  The game isn't micro intensive, which I like, and I think you got just enough time to keep an eye of and control your units because they're usually concentrated on a relatively narrow part of the large front. I highly recommend at least the multiplayer experience. :)

RooksBailey

Quote from: Tinkershuffle on May 11, 2013, 12:50:37 AMI'm afraid it's not because that's exactly the same way how the infantry worked in Wargame: European Escalation.

Darn!  Oh well.... :-X

QuoteBut I think that's a minor problem, the overall impression about the great is really great in my opinion. I've played a few 10v10 matches so far and I was skeptic at first that it would be a huge cluster**** but in fact it's not. The  frontlines are clearly distinguishable and the immersion of a huge battlefield is there.  The game isn't micro intensive, which I like, and I think you got just enough time to keep an eye of and control your units because they're usually concentrated on a relatively narrow part of the large front. I highly recommend at least the multiplayer experience. :)

I agree on the 10v10!  They were a lot of fun, and it was nice to play with such a big crowd as a newb since victory or defeat doesn't weigh so heavily on your shoulders.  However, they really need to do something about the unbalanced matches where you have 15 NATO and 5 WP!     :D
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Tinkershuffle

Quote from: RooksBailey on May 11, 2013, 12:56:47 AM
However, they really need to do something about the unbalanced matches where you have 15 NATO and 5 WP!     :D

True dat. Also players dropping and surrendering quickly becomes an issue. For those of you who haven't had the chance to taste the sweetness yet, I suggest you to have a look at this. :)

Tamas

How do I use a deck in Skirmish?

Toonces

Pffft.

I had a couple of glasses of wine, watched the 10v10 video, and then clicked purchase.

Hopefully I can draft Jarhead into an MP match.  Heck, I'll even be the Russians.   8)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

I still get my a$$ handed to me by the AI in skirmish mode...on easy.  I just can't keep up with it. In one particular battle I found the AI to be spamming helos, they just kept coming, and my force was pretty armor heavy so I got torn apart.

I'm glad to read rook's impression about fuel trucks, because in European Escalation, the AI did not seem to play by the same rules of supply and this made the SP campaign extremely difficult. Hopefully, this too has been addressed his time around.

Anyway, losing is still fun, but so far I have been unable to match the AI even on the easiest level of difficulty.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Zulu1966

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 11, 2013, 05:12:13 AM
I still get my a$$ handed to me by the AI in skirmish mode...on easy.  I just can't keep up with it. In one particular battle I found the AI to be spamming helos, they just kept coming, and my force was pretty armor heavy so I got torn apart.

I'm glad to read rook's impression about fuel trucks, because in European Escalation, the AI did not seem to play by the same rules of supply and this made the SP campaign extremely difficult. Hopefully, this too has been addressed his time around.

Anyway, losing is still fun, but so far I have been unable to match the AI even on the easiest level of difficulty.

Yeah ... I liked the game a lot - great looks and a great idea - but its just way too fast for me ... I wish there was a way to slow it down ... the AI aint great but its just impossible to keep up with it. They have all these little details you see popping up in relation to the units and damage etc  -  but things happen so fast its meaningless.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Huw the Poo

Such is my experience with EE.  I don't think I have it in me to play the game.  It's a shame, because on paper it's a great game, with probably the best game engine I've ever seen in an RTS.

Toonces

I can't believe I drunk-bought this game last night.

LOL.  It's like the grown-up version of bringing home an unsavory girl from the bar.

Well, I guess I gotta install it now.  This is too funny.   ;D
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

mikeck

Quote from: Tinkershuffle on May 11, 2013, 01:10:21 AM
Quote from: RooksBailey on May 11, 2013, 12:56:47 AM
However, they really need to do something about the unbalanced matches where you have 15 NATO and 5 WP!     :D

True dat. Also players dropping and surrendering quickly becomes an issue. For those of you who haven't had the chance to taste the sweetness yet, I suggest you to have a look at this. :)

Looks awesome...but waaaayyyhh to fast and click festy. Anyway to play at .25x speed? Holy crap
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

LongBlade

Quote from: Toonces on May 11, 2013, 06:46:31 PM
I can't believe I drunk-bought this game last night.

LOL.  It's like the grown-up version of bringing home an unsavory girl from the bar.

Heh.

Well, there's a bit less 'spainin' to do to the wife if you come home with a game instead of a girl...

I mean seriously....which one of these is easier to address?

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

undercovergeek

lmao - although i think i know which might have been more fun

Nefaro

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 11, 2013, 07:06:02 PM
lmao - although i think i know which might have been more fun

Maybe she just passed out playing the old PS1 in front of her.

Damn.. I now realize that could have two meanings.

Tinkershuffle

Quote from: mikeck on May 11, 2013, 06:52:18 PM
Looks awesome...but waaaayyyhh to fast and click festy. Anyway to play at .25x speed? Holy crap

It's not that bad really, at least in the larger MP matches. I can imagine 1v1 could be a bit stressful though. You just basicly move your troops into position and they do their job or then they don't, no need for tedious microing and kiting like for example in Company of Heroes. I'd say you need to do much more clicking if you bring that girl home...