Wargame: AirLand Battle

Started by Jarhead0331, April 24, 2013, 08:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

The comments about the camera do the game a disservice - the camera can be taken to foot soldier level or right back up to way above the battlefield - if you search for let's play videos - the best ones are the deck selection ones and then using that deck against an opponent - usually about 45 mins long

Taking the high ground and firing first is certainly not the only tactic or indeed a recommended one

Watch some more videos if you're curious about the game

Toonces

I definitely would say AirLand Battle is more a war-themed game than a simulation by any stretch.

Don't take it too seriously or you're going to be disappointed.  At its heart it's a game pure and simple.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

RooksBailey

Quote from: Toonces on December 27, 2013, 09:44:08 PM
I definitely would say AirLand Battle is more a war-themed game than a simulation by any stretch.

Don't take it too seriously or you're going to be disappointed.  At its heart it's a game pure and simple.

Exactly.   Don't let the "Wargame" moniker fool you: this is just a "beer and pretzels" RTS that has a bit more depth to it than most RTS games.  Nonetheless, it isn't a traditional wargame/sim in any way.

Having said that, it is a fun WWIII-themed game.  The part I like best is playing a match against the AI (or MP) and then being able to use the replay option.   This game has a gorgeous graphics engine, so the war movies you manage to create are quite spectacular at times (examples here and here).  I only really began enjoying this game when I started replaying the matches afterwards.   :)

Also, the skirmish system is pretty flexible.  Play alone versus 1 AI, or create teams with/against multiple AIs using multiple nationalities.  I am glad to hear that the next title, Dragon Rising, is even going to allow you to create custom decks for the AI to use.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Tinkershuffle

The results of the cinematic trailer contest are here: http://www.wargame-ab.com/#294

Yet, instead of making me want to play W:ALB they actually make me wanna play Flashpoint Campaigns.  ;D

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Tinkershuffle on January 16, 2014, 10:35:41 AM
The results of the cinematic trailer contest are here: http://www.wargame-ab.com/#294

Yet, instead of making me want to play W:ALB they actually make me wanna play Flashpoint Campaigns.  ;D

The only thing I will say is that FPC feels like I'm playing a computer program

Wargame ALB feels like I'm playing a game.

I prefer the later.