Endless Space? Nope, it's Endless Legend!

Started by Martok, August 22, 2013, 06:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

I guess I'll be the odd guy out and say I've had Endless Space for many months but haven't really played it (Steam says last played on 3/31/13 for 19 minutes total, lol).

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 24, 2013, 11:29:43 AM
I guess I'll be the odd guy out and say I've had Endless Space for many months but haven't really played it (Steam says last played on 3/31/13 for 19 minutes total, lol).

I urge you to give it a fair go.  It's been patched to buggery and is a very solid, engaging game.  It's one that I'll return to often, I think.

Martok

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 24, 2013, 11:29:43 AM
Same here.  I've got it installed, but I've just not played it for any real length of time.  I really do mean to rectify that at some point -- even if it turns out ES isn't my thing, I at least want to give it a fair shake. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

mikeck

I gave it the college try...about 20 hours of so and just didnt like it. It was however, very polished and well put together so I would have no problem picking up another one of their games
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

BanzaiCat

I just sat down with ES for about an hour, finally taking in the tutorial and paying attention (I think I was pressed for time last time). It's not that bad, actually.

I guess I might have to try Galactic Civs II also - another Steam game I bought on sale but never really played.

JasonPratt

After the long drought of proper heirs to MoM (Shadow Magic being the sole real pretender), I for one welcome all the serious attempts in the past few years and will no doubt spend my money on this one, too.

(After the bughunts because, you know.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Martok

Jason, if you've not yet played/tried Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes, I recommend doing so.  I've been playing the hell out of it this weekend, and it's good fun. 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

FarAway Sooner

I'd also put a plug in for Eador: Master of the Broken World.  Although it was a buggy mess at release, Snowbird has patched it quite nicely and, for $20, it's the deepest and best single-player TBS fantasy release I've seen since the original Dominions game, maybe better.

I haven't played FE: LH but logged a good 20 hours or more on FE and, while I enjoyed the game system, I found the immersion factor to be a small fraction of what I got out of either of the Eador titles. 

I'm even starting to work on an Eador: MotBW After-Action Report, but the doc is already 12 pages long (with pics, double-spaced) and I'm only at Turn 22.  That gives you a feel for just how many strategic trade-offs there are to be made in the game...

JasonPratt

I'm glad to hear Eador is being patched up; I've been holding off until then (and a sale, duh).

I picked up the LH expansion a few weeks ago on sale, I think, but between one thing and another I haven't been playing any of the MoM-heirs since they released (including Warlock. Was there a third one? Or fourth if Eador in its early and upgraded variations counts as the third? I've forgotten if so, but I feel like there was...)

We've also got Age of Wonders 3 on the way and some other things. Bliss!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

undercovergeek

goddamit - money grabbing, budget ignoring grumble grumble grumble

Barthheart

WOW! Visually that's pretty impressive..... might have to get this one.....

Martok

Sorry, still not loving it.  I'm not sure what it is, but every video & screenshot of this game just leaves me feeling cold.  (I suppose it's some combination of the art style & UI that I'm not liking, although that's just a guess off the top of my head.)  There's something just...flat about Endless Legend -- no feeling of life. 

PanzersEast

If it turns out like Endless Space I will pass.... ES was lifeless and boring and the AI was pretty bad imho as it just continually spammed.  I  have to give kudos to the devs for continually updating ES and adding content, however in the end it just did not click with me and this has similar roots.  I wanted to like ES, but in the end just could not get into it and I fear this could be a repeat, just going to wait and see.

PE