Wings Over Flanders Fields (WOFF) (Dec 2013)

Started by steve58, November 28, 2013, 02:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

Yeah, but what I'm saying is for me, it's easier NOT to order and install CFS3 and play RoF instead. I'm a lazy gamer and if I have to take extra steps, I need a reason and for me, a better campaign isn't enough...especially as I enjoy RoF.

I'm lazy...kind of interested in it, but too lazy.
I suppose if the reviews for you guys are good enough, I might do it
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

Sounds like I may be the only one diving in fairly quickly.  My decision on how soon will probably hinge on immediate reports of big issues so I may give it a day or two.  I just hope I don't experience any odd issues with installing that old CFS3 on a newer OS.   >:(

Looks like there have been quite a few preview vids put up over the weekend, on their site's media page:

http://www.overflandersfields.com/gallery.html

Gusington

Nefaro would you mind posting a couple of screenshots when you can? My visuals in OFF always looked subpar amd I never knew why.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Couple of questions.

1)  Has the price been announced?  If not, what did the older modules sell for?

2)  Will this be something that can be downloaded or is it only in physical format?

magnus

They haven't announced the price yet. I believe the older one went for $ 29.95 but it was DVD only and it was like $8 for shipping so I never bought it.

The new one will be a download or a hard copy.

Tuna

Quote from: magnus on December 09, 2013, 05:55:14 PM
They haven't announced the price yet. I believe the older one went for $ 29.95 but it was DVD only and it was like $8 for shipping so I never bought it.

The new one will be a download or a hard copy.

Same with me, I never bought the original, cause of the 'no download' option, and the outrageous shipping.. That's how I found RoF instead..

Grim.Reaper

It will be interesting to see how this one turns out....tempted by it.  I purchased ROF when it first came out and looked awesome from the start.  But for some reason, never fully hooked me.  I think some of the reason are the following:

1)  Having to buy all the planes and add-ons....I realize its their sales model and how they stay in business, but would prefer it to be included.
2)  Seems more slanted to multi-player....but maybe it has been improved over time.
3)  I found it extremely difficult to hit my targets....likely my lack of skill, but in most games I have at least a chance to hit things

Maybe I should try it again versus invest in this new game.....not a real big fan of having to load some outdated flight sim first and then install the game.   I realize it is likely easy to do, but too many steps for my short intention span:)

Nefaro

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 09, 2013, 06:52:28 PM
It will be interesting to see how this one turns out....tempted by it.  I purchased ROF when it first came out and looked awesome from the start.  But for some reason, never fully hooked me.  I think some of the reason are the following:

1)  Having to buy all the planes and add-ons....I realize its their sales model and how they stay in business, but would prefer it to be included.
2)  Seems more slanted to multi-player....but maybe it has been improved over time.
3)  I found it extremely difficult to hit my targets....likely my lack of skill, but in most games I have at least a chance to hit things

I think one of the big reasons for #3 being such a problem in ROF is because of the insane amount of increasing pitch the devs put on all the aircraft.  I still have difficulties believing it was that bad, or even pitching in the correct direction. 

To be more detailed about the issue - your aircraft constantly attempting to do a slow upward loop means that in order to make small adjustments, while aiming in a turn, you have to actually push the stick forward while you're in a full-on turn.  The natural pitching upward of the flight models often pushes your nose past your target, turning you faster than you want.  So small adjustments to your aim while turning usually requires you to both push & pull your joystick near it's center position.  This poses a serious issue with joysticks since the forward and back gimbals are two separate control interfaces.. there are varying degrees of deadspace and "play" when transitioning between pushing the stick forward and pulling it back.  Since we have to do both in small bits, due to the constant upward pull of the flight models in ROF, it makes for poor fine control when doing so.  It's a problem inherent with joystick gimbals, and something that the real sticks in the real planes didn't have.

It's my biggest complaint about ROF.

Grim.Reaper

I agree...could also not tweak my joystick enough to find a good way to handle the plane.  Way too sensitive.

mikeck

I don't remember having too much difficulty flying or fighting the albatross DVa but I do remember that I could not fly the camel without going into a death spin
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Toonces

The German planes are way easier to fly (IMO) in RoF.  I definitely always go German online if I can.  Plus, their planes just look cooler.

I haven't seen a price for WOFF yet but I'm guessing $50...maybe $40 but I expect $50. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

IIRC OFF was close to 60.00 when it was new.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Hhmmm....that might be a little much for me to jump in....and then you still have to buy cfs for a few more bucks.

$30 would be much more desirable:)

Toonces

I didn't want to say $60, but that also wouldn't surprise me.

If they go $60 the focus of the forum discussions will be the price point.  I can already hear the posts (yes, I can hear written words).  If they go $40 (maybe $50) the discussion will focus on the game.

It is what it is.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

60.00 is high, admittedly. If the campaign makes me smell the flak and duck down in my seat, well...to me, that's worth it.

Release is like...tomorrow, isn't it??

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd