Wings Over Flanders Fields (WOFF) (Dec 2013)

Started by steve58, November 28, 2013, 02:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Another good fight in my 1917 Escadrille LaFayette campaign, flying the SPAD VII. 

This time, we run into Jasta 5 and a large furball ensues.  I had dived out of the mess a distance to clear my tail, when I see two Albatrosses behind me.  One of them is high-scoring ace Otto Konnecke (35 Kills at wars end), out for my blood.
8)

I must've injured him pretty badly in that high angle-off diving burst before he levelled out and tried to head home.  It was the lucky break I needed, or this fight would've gone on for a long time.

Staggerwing

Nice shootin'!

Damn but the forward view in that crate sucks. Wonder why the designer didn't think to leave a small open panel between the middle wing ribs. The loss of lift would be pretty minimal.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

Quote from: Staggerwing on April 27, 2014, 07:05:33 AM
Nice shootin'!

Thanks!  Thought I might get good & dead there once or twice but my luck held.

QuoteDamn but the forward view in that crate sucks. Wonder why the designer didn't think to leave a small open panel between the middle wing ribs. The loss of lift would be pretty minimal.

I know.  Sopwith had it right by cutting a hole in the middle of their top wings (Strutter, Camel, Pup, Snipe).  Perhaps the French SPAD designers were a bit sadistic?  I almost think so considering how small the cockpit opening was.  At least it's fast and sturdy.

Shelldrake

Nice flying Nefaro! I thought your wings were going to come off a couple of times - lot of creaking!
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Nefaro

Quote from: Shelldrake on April 27, 2014, 08:46:45 AM
Nice flying Nefaro! I thought your wings were going to come off a couple of times - lot of creaking!

My motto:  If it's not creaking, you're not pushing it close enough to the edge!

It often gets me killed in Nieuports, though.  Those things will snap wings off if you look in their direction when turning.  >:(

Quote from: Staggerwing on April 27, 2014, 07:05:33 AM
Damn but the forward view in that crate sucks. Wonder why the designer didn't think to leave a small open panel between the middle wing ribs. The loss of lift would be pretty minimal.

Update on the SPAD's upper wing.  I remembered that the middle part of it's upper wing was actually an auxiliary fuel tank.  I guess they wanted more go-juice than visibility.  ???

Nefaro

We receive orders for a patrol over the lines & hurry to get into the action.  Nef and his lone wingman are quickly accosted by a pack of seven bloodthirsty Frenchmen from on high.  I try to dive for the deck and run, but there is nowhere to hide!

That was some serious damage on my D.III controls.. dropped like a rock there at the end.  Once I started to turn right, it rolled over permanently and my opposite inputs to right it just ended up putting me into a flat stall.  Sooo close to home.  My pilot soon died of his wounds.

The AI pilots in this game are crack shots.  This thing is quite deadly.  :)

Staggerwing

Quote from: Nefaro on April 28, 2014, 07:25:23 PM

The AI pilots in this game are crack shots.     :o

Can you sissify them in the game settings long enough to learn how to fly and shoot during your n00b missions?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

Quote from: Staggerwing on April 28, 2014, 07:30:46 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on April 28, 2014, 07:25:23 PM

The AI pilots in this game are crack shots.     :o

Can you sissify them in the game settings long enough to learn how to fly and shoot during your n00b missions?

Yes.  There are even different categories of accuracy, so you can pick & choose.  I just recently lowered the 'Rear Gunner Accuracy' because those guys were too much for me to handle without taking serious damage, even when climbing from underneath to fire and diving back down.  The 2-seater AI pilots would often turn a bit to unmask their gunners MG and firing towards my front often ended with my engine or fuel being holed, along with myself sometimes.  There are two or three other categories regarding accuracy, along with some damage option.

Nefaro

I'm flying a Sopwith Pup in an RFC66 campaign, 1917, during 3rd Ypres/Paschendaele.  Wings Over Flanders Fields

We encounter Jasta 11 on a patrol over the lines where I have a scrap with aces Wolff and Müller.  Fortunately not at the same time!  I believe Richthofen, himself, was wounded at this time so he wasn't with Jasta 11 here.  He killed one of my pilots in a past campaign, however.

You can watch this video at up to 720p on YouTube, if you want a higher resolution:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqynPRwWz80