Your first gaming memory?

Started by undercovergeek, December 02, 2013, 06:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Not usually a fan of cross posting or stealing ideas but saw the same topic over at RPS and im genuinely interested in what you guys first remember......... lets not count Bob whos first gaming memory involves lions and christians

For me, the mists of time have covered which one of these came first but it was either GORF on a Vic 20 played at a friends house when i was 11, or it was Scuba diver on the C64 which my friend had on a Spectrum 48k, but i was delighted to find there was a cross over - when i think about it now it was s***e but at the time i would have killed my own mother to get it

Staggerwing

For me- if electronic I'd say 'Hunt the Wumpus', played on my High-school's computer around 1979 or so. for home computer it would have been a TRS-80CoCo or Vic-20 and some kind of sub hunt side-scroller. After that came the Commodore 64 and 'real' computer games.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Barthheart

First console would have been a Coleco TelStar Pong/Hockey/Handball machine.

First "PC" would have been a ZX-80 my father and I assembled. I played top scrollers like skiing, and car racing games. Even learned to program on it. Dad splurged and bought the 16k expansion fer $200!

Keunert

on a friends c-64 an isometric space game where you had to shoot down ennemy planes. and winter games!
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Double Deuce

Probably the original Atari you plugged into the TV. I believe it was the Atari 2600. There was pong like tank game I remember playing all hours of the night as a kid.

GJK

Jeez ucgeek, you're going to really make us show our ages here!

First wargame: Avalon Hill's "Luftwaffe" when I was 12 in 1976.  That was my friends copy.  I first got "Blitzkrieg" from a 5&10 store.
First computer/arcade: original "Pong", then we too had the Coleco TelStar and then the Atari 2600.
First computer: My dad got a Ti99/4a first. I was in the Marines and stationed in Okinawa and I bought an Atari 800.  My first computer wargame was "Close Assault" on the Atari. Later, I graduated to a Commodore C-128 and played a lot of the old SSI games. 
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

MetalDog

Mine would have been the Atari 2600 when I was eight years old.  We had the Tank game for it.  My next one would be........Panzer General for the Playstation One.  My first computer game, as I didn't own a computer until I was in my twenties, was Warcraft.  Civ 2 if you count that.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

ComradeP

Centurion: Defender of Rome and wondering how I was supposed to win the ship vs. ship battles, as no matter what I always seemed to lose.
Dune II and wondering why the Sardaukar wore pink/purple uniforms even though they were supposed to be so tough and manly.
Great Battles of Alexander the Great and my cousin being disgusted at the dead horses on the battlefield and delighted at being able to turn them off.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

eyebiter

Gusington

IIRC the tank game on the Atari 2600 that you guys mention above was Combat! and it came with the system.

One of my earliest memories is Pitfall on the 2600. Loved that game.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

bayonetbrant

First computer / console gaming memory?

1978, playing Pong or something like it for about 30 seconds at the movie theater lobby waiting to go see Star Wars (again) the second time it came through town.  I was horrible at it, but kept bugging my dad for more quarters to put in the machine.

At home, 1981, Ft Ord CA, playing Pac-Man on the Atari 2600 and thinking it was so cool to play the stuff from the arcade at my house!

First boardgaming memory?  Dad dumbing down something (I think it was Third Reich) for me to roll dice with him when we lived in Germany in the mid-70s and I was about 4.  Been wargaming ever since.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Rayfer

Console....Space Invaders on the Intellivision (or something like that?)
PC....original Doom
Board games.....AH's Panzer Blitz

tgb

Even before the 2600 I had a dedicated Atari Pong game hooked up to my TV. First computer was the Atari 400 with the membrane keyboard and cassette deck. My first computer wargame was Eastern Front, and the first game that really wowed me was Star Raiders.  I also had all the Scott Adams adventures on cassette.

Greybriar

I remember playing Space Invaders at an arcade in 1979. In the early 1980s I remember playing Pac-Man and Donkey Kong on arcade machines.

The computer I played my first PC games on was an IBM 8088 clone with a monochrome monitor. That was in 1989. I don't remember what the title of the first game was that I played, but sometime after I upgraded to a CGA graphics card I played Pool of Radiance and it was the game that really got me hooked on computer gaming.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.