Your first gaming memory?

Started by undercovergeek, December 02, 2013, 06:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad Russian

First board game was PanzerBlitz in the early 70's.

First computer wargame was B1 or B2. It was a text based game on a green screen monitor. Then came the V4Victory games, etc....all the way to my latest one - Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Jack Nastyface

Hmm...
First "real" wargame - '78 or '78 - Avalon Hill's D-Day
First home computer game - '82 - Choplifter on the Atari 5200?
First mainframe computer game - '84? - Spacewar! on VAX\Unix at UofC
First 386 computer game - '89 - A-10 Tank Killer (although I think I saw a computer game of "The Prisoner" in perhaps '87 or '88)
First console game would have be Pong!
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

W8taminute

Quote from: Mad Russian on December 02, 2013, 04:23:36 PM
First board game was PanzerBlitz in the early 70's....

MR

That was my very first board wargame as well and I got it in the mid 70's.   I worked a summer job mowing lawns and by the end of the season had earned enough money to buy the game!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

mikeck

My first wargame was "wizards of wor" on the Odyssey game system.

First computer was my Commodore 64 and my first REAL WARGAME  was F-15 strike eagle by Microprose
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

undercovergeek

i could never get F15 to load, always crashed - i loved the look of the whole thing - this could have been my first forray into flight sims and it was not to be!!!

sent back to shop and swapped for some crap i cant remember

SgtRock

Star Trek on a DEC LA36 DECwriter II ASCII print terminal. :o see http://www.columbia.edu/cu/computinghistory/la36.html

*********E**********
******K*************

Set phasers (30-120):____

Gusington

Those Mattel handheld sports games were the best!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Quote from: SgtRock on December 02, 2013, 06:33:58 PM
Star Trek on a DEC LA36 DECwriter II ASCII print terminal. :o see http://www.columbia.edu/cu/computinghistory/la36.html

*********E**********
******K*************

Oh man that was a great game!  I remember that one.  I must be old because I still remember how cool that game was even though it was all asci characters.  Much more advanced that Zork was imho. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Mad Russian

Quote from: W8taminute on December 02, 2013, 06:15:19 PM
Quote from: Mad Russian on December 02, 2013, 04:23:36 PM
First board game was PanzerBlitz in the early 70's....

MR

That was my very first board wargame as well and I got it in the mid 70's.   I worked a summer job mowing lawns and by the end of the season had earned enough money to buy the game!

I was a sophomore in HS at the time. I was doing a lot of model tank and aircraft work and ordering through the Squadron Shop. In their catalog was an advertisement for AH wargames. It just so happened that they had PB on sale that month and I ordered it. When I got it I couldn't believe how much fun it was.

I have been mainly a tactical gamer at heart since that first game. I have and do play almost all levels of wargames but still prefer tactical games the most.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Nefaro

Quote from: bob48 on December 02, 2013, 03:58:04 PM
Quote from: Gusington on December 02, 2013, 03:47:50 PM
Bawb, that had to be later than '76...'86 perhaps?

Well we brought our C64 around then, and I played wire-frame grafix Elite for hours on end. It had a cassette tape drive to load the game until I eventually managed to get a 5.1/4" floppy drive for it. By the early 1980's we had up-graded to an Amega.

Nah - on second thoughts you must be right - it must at least mid 1980's - I must be getting mixed up. It happens with us olde folk y'know!

I don't think the C64 came out in quantity until somewhere around '83 to '85.  I definitely remember playing Elite on it (or doing my best to).  ;D  But I think one of the first biggies I recall playing quite a bit on the old Commodore was Telengard.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: SgtRock on December 02, 2013, 06:33:58 PM

*********E**********
******K*************

OH MY GROG..............................

This was 1974 or so. My mom worked for the Nebraska County Extension Service and had a suitcase sized terminal with a stick-your-phone-handset-in modem. I played this game for hours.

If you can find a copy of Wintrek it is basically the same game ported to Windows with some prettier graphics.

Thanks for the memories........................... :'(
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Tuna

Vax 11/780  - Empire and Star Trek...
First PC.. Red Baron, Aces of Europe, Aces of Pacific.. Empire Deluxe.. Perfect General.. Silent Hunter

airboy

First wargame: I was 6 years old the ancient Avalon Hill "Civil War" title.  Closely followed by Afrika Corps.  Both in 1968
First Computer Wargame: A version of Civil War and Star Trek on an IBM mainframe in 1974.
First Console Game: Atari that many others had.  Tank Pong was quite fun.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bboyer66