Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Started by son_of_montfort, December 19, 2013, 11:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

I just picked this game up on sale because of the positive reviews on Steam. From the comment here I should expect it to be pretty good...?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Gusington

I have reinstalled it and plan on trying it out again after my difficulties from a year ago + ... it stuck in my mind for a long time after it beat me up.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

Quote from: solops on March 19, 2021, 04:28:53 PM
I just picked this game up on sale because of the positive reviews on Steam. From the comment here I should expect it to be pretty good...?
It is a good game. My only complaint is that you must realise that you simply CANNOT beat opponents with skill alone. You must level up your character before having a hope in hell of blocking some opponents. They will simply be too quick. I did not finish the game but really enjoyed what I played of it. It's a damned fine game and a challenging one to boot. But it is also single player and can really chew your time up.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

solops

Quote from: Destraex on March 19, 2021, 10:38:01 PM
Quote from: solops on March 19, 2021, 04:28:53 PM
It is a good game. My only complaint is that you must realise that you simply CANNOT beat opponents with skill alone. You must level up your character before having a hope in hell of blocking some opponents. They will simply be too quick. I did not finish the game but really enjoyed what I played of it. It's a damned fine game and a challenging one to boot. But it is also single player and can really chew your time up.

That sounds good, mostly. I like single player. Being retired helps. Problem - Shadow Empires is eating my time :)
May the most addictive game win!
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Philippe

One thing that people who are used to playing other RPG's don't tend to get is that the different weapons that are available aren't there to provide you with a role-playing choice.

A lot of people tend to concentrate on swords, and then wonder why they're having a hard time doing any damage to someone covered from head to toe in heavy plate armor.

When cofronted with a heavy tin can, you're supposed to use a can opener (i.e. a heavy warhammer).

What that means in practice is that you have to become proficient in several types of weapons, and which one you pull out depends on what you're about to go up against.

When confronted with an APC, don't shoot at it with an M 16, use a LAW.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

glen55

I agree that you will ideally want to level up in sword and something blunt, but I think it's OK to specialize in blunt instruments. They aren't as good as swords at beating up the folks who aren't in heavy armor, but they're good enough at it since most of those folks aren't too formidable.

But definitely, you don't want to put all your eggs in the sword basket. If you're good enough and you have an awesome sword you can handle a strong armored foe but generally Philippe is right that it can be problematic to fight armor with a blade.

Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Toonces

I could be mistaken, but I thought most knights and armored up troops used axes.  How well do they work in the game?

Kingdom didn't resonate with me.  Perhaps I need to give it another chance.  How long is the story, or how much mileage can you get out of the game compared to something like Skyrim?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Philippe

The knight's battlefield weapon of choice in the early 15th century was the warhammer.  In KCD, really superb warhammers are somewhat rare and hard to come by, and learning to use one well involves taking a lot of personal damage and chewing up a lot of expensive armor because you train with a bludgeon (which is a real weapon in its own right, even though made out of wood).  The upside is that if you have an armor repair kit and don't let your armor get too beat up, you'll get a fair amount of maintenance experience fixing it.

In KCD, heavy axes are very good when you're about to fight a group of moderately armored and lightly armored opponents with perhaps one heavily armored opponent mixed in.  If you have a good axe, it's your go-to weapon when you aren't sure what to use.  The really good ones do a fair amount of blunt damage in addition to being superb at slashing damage. Unlike the top-of-the-line warhammer, you can buy a really good axe in a store, and you learn to use them training with somewhat innocuous wooden weapons that won't do a lot of personal and armor damage.

The longsword's big advantage is its reach, but its weakness is that you don't want to use it with a shield which makes you more vulnerable to archers.  I've had good results in KCD with an arming sword and shield (KCD calls it short sword and shield).  You can use a longsword (really a bastard sword) with a shield, but you can't execute any fancy moves when holding a shield.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Gusington

I would not compare KCD to Skyrim - KCD was developed by what basically amounts to an independent studio and it is really a technical achievement if you think about it that way.

Compared to Skyrim, developed by Bethesda and is basically endless with mods (or even without), is not fair to either title.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd