Starpoint Gemini 2?

Started by Jarhead0331, December 29, 2013, 11:23:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Has anyone taken the plunge on this early access title? Its presently discounted on Steam for only $16.  it looks pretty solid for an alpha state.  I did not really care for the first game in the series, but the videos and screenshots I've seen have caught my attention here.  Anybody?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

PanzersEast

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 29, 2013, 11:23:11 AM
Has anyone taken the plunge on this early access title? Its presently discounted on Steam for only $16.  it looks pretty solid for an alpha state.  I did not really care for the first game in the series, but the videos and screenshots I've seen have caught my attention here.  Anybody?

I took a chance and purchased.... I have been following the development and they have been very active in thier forums and at its current state is stable and very playable.

PE

Jarhead0331

Quote from: PanzersEast on December 29, 2013, 12:38:15 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 29, 2013, 11:23:11 AM

I took a chance and purchased.... I have been following the development and they have been very active in thier forums and at its current state is stable and very playable.

PE

But is it any good?  I've gone through the forums and nobody really talks about the state of the game and whether it is fun to play, or any of the in game options. Everyone is too busy raving about how great and nice the Devs are or how much x-rebirth sucks.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

PanzersEast

From what I have read has been positive... Did not seem to be fanboys but I am not sure.  From all accounts it appears to be my kind of game.

PE

Tpek

I bought it when it came out to Early Access.
But I haven't had a good chance to play it, instead I got reminded how I still need to play the first game through :P

steve58

I picked it some time ago, but haven't played it in a while...still waiting for joystick support to be added.  While I enjoy it, I find it pretty similar to other space combat/trading games (e.g. Evochron Mercenary).  Got Starpoint Gemini 1 free when I got 2, but haven't tried it yet...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

steve58

...just saw that we'll finally be able to launch fighters in the next update.  That'll get me to fire it up again....
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Nefaro

It's playable right now but I think there is a lot more stuff to be added.  I like the rpg aspects of it and especially the Star Fleet Command-inspired ship combat (although it is from a cockpit view now).  There will be quite a few different ships with various weapon & equipment slots to customize.  I believe there is enough to do so already, but I've not really delved into it yet.  Since they plan to add so much more to the game, I can wait.

Grim.Reaper

Does anyone have any more recent thoughts on this game?  I see on sale for $16 for a couple of hours and based on the videos, seems to look pretty nice....

Nefaro

I've not played in awhile.  The content seemed rather thin & contrived in the starting areas, but it has potential if they can fill it out with more bustle & fun stuff by release.

Grim.Reaper

I ended up purchasing today...not enough time invested yet to really comment much, but does have nice graphics:)

Grim.Reaper

Played it for an hour or two yesterday, can't say I fully grasp everything yet since there are only limited tutorials (which I would call more tool tips) but I am liking what I have seen so far.  Actually controlling the ship in flight (3rd person view) is a nice change of pace so it gives you something to do and the UI seems fairly well done and easy to get to.  Still don't have a great idea on what I am supposed to be doing yet, but I can see the potential start of something nice, especially jumping in for a small price.  Kind of reminds me of Elite premise to a degree... did get into a couple of battles which were well done, for now I have my crew manning the guns so they choose the targets and fire until I get a grasp...I certainly pissed someone off since after I was just messing around and attacked a ship to see how combat worked, their buddies came to his aid and relentlessly attacked me:)

Grim.Reaper

Couple of nice space battles today as I took on missions to rescue a couple of ships....it was nice to see that I was not a lone wolf...other ships were also trying to assist with the rescue which was very welcomed since the ship that was attacking was much larger than my own.

panzerde

Fired this up today for the first time in awhile and was pretty impressed. The core RPG campaign still isn't in but mission running seems nicely complete and there's a goodly amount of stuff to do. Very attractive and a lot of fun. Without the story missions it feels something like a single player Eve Online.

I could sink some hours into this.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Nefaro

TBH.. I kinda miss the Starfleet Command style ship combat from the original.  I mean.. everything else looks like it will be better thus far, but the combat is more Privateer/Freelancer than SFC2/3.

Speaking of - I wish we could get an improved version of SFC2 with a non-buggy SFC3 style "Dynaverse" multi-player empire conquest.  The third one's 'Dynaverse' system was a damn blast in multi-player, when it was working properly.  Being able to have multiple empires, each with many players running or joining together in small fleets to conquer territory and defend their own (on the big hex map), was superb.  Also something I've rarely seen done for multi-player.